How many people from North America want an open relationship?

I feel like this is more common in other areas in the world which is why I specified North America. I was just wondering ideally, if you could be in an open marriage, would you want that?

by open marriage I mean able to see other people with/without the spouse present. If you're in one currently, can you say what your limits are, if any?

• I'm from North America but I wouldn't want an open marriage
  • I'm from North America and I would want an open marriage
  • I'm not from North America but I wouldn't want an open marriage
  • I'm not from North America and I would want an open marriage
  • I'm already in an open marriage

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm kinda sorta in an open marriage. I'm bisexual and my husband is straight. So he is not seeking anyone else but me, where as I have a Husband (him) and a girlfriend. He doesn't mind at all, and he's actually the one that told me I could have one because he knows he cannot satisfy me sexually all the way 😊

What Guys Said 70

• I am not from America but I couldnt do it.

When I love someone I get somewhat jealous and clingy, you literally can't get rid of me. You go shopping, I'd follow you to keep you company lol so I am not the type who would let another dude go balls deep in his wife.

• Not married, but don't want an open relationship. I'm with the woman I love for a reason, I've forsaken all others in my heart and I may look at other women and think to myself "Damn she's fine" no other can capture my love like my girlfriend has, so an open relationship would do nothing but add sorrow to us both

• I'm in the US and have no desire to be an open relationship or open marriage. I don't wish for polygamy of any sort and am happy with monogamy. I don't think there are really quite any limitations/rules one could play on an open to relationship to make it appeal to me either.

Others can go for it-- that's their lives. However, it isn't for me. I believe there is nothing that can quite change my mind on this.

• There's no choice for accepting both monogamous and polygamous at the same time but here's my answer on the question:

I can be both monogamous and polygamous. In my whole life, I was always attracted to having multIple girls, it simply made a man feel like a king. I simply just want to experiment and see what having multiple wives would be like, since my paternal grandmother's ancestors were royalty from various clans such as Aisin-Gioro, Borjigin, and Nguyen. Being a descendant of Genghis Khan, I would just love to experiment life with multiple wives. I just want to try out the life of royalty. Open/polygamous marriages (especially one man and multiple wives/partners) was the norm back in the olden days and is still the norm in certain regions of the world.

However, I am totally capable of being a monogamous person. One day, I just want to make some girl feel really special but I haven't gotten any opportunities yet though. ;)

Would you be in a polyandrous relationship or polyamory relationship or just polygamous and monogamous?

@AriadneSky But if anything, I would take a monogamous relationship. Most royal families these days have lost their power anyways due to communism, rebellion, war, colonization, empire corruption, etc. So no point of attempting to revive such ancestral traditions.

Having a polygamous relationship would be so hard to deal with, at least, for the average human. Can you imagine all of the wives/partners fighting for your love and attention?

Overall, I love to be in a monogamous relationship. It's easier to deal with and that would make the idea of loving someone feel more exclusive and valued. But it is such a shame that our nation's divorce rates are over 50%. A lot of females, for some reason, are willing to play the side hoe role. Cheating, loss of attractiveness, and money are the typical reasons for the destruction of marriages. If children are present in the marriage, divorce also tends to mentally damage the minds of young children. Just make life easy for yourself. 😉

• What would be the point of marriage if it were open?

• I'm not opposed to the idea. Polyamoury fascinates me and it's something I'm open to but realistically I've had a hard enough time getting one girlfriend. I don't think it's going to happen.

• Lol what the fuck.. fuck open marriages.

• I'm all for an open marriage but just like with any marriage you need to define the boundaries. I myself would be fine as long as A) emotionally I felt I was the most important person in my wife's life and vice versa B) We wouldn't have to share partners but we should at least personally know who each other's partners are.

• Lord no an open relationship/marriage is not a relationship/marriage in my eyes it goes agaisnt what a marriage and relationship is, a commitment and a partnership to one individual and one alone.

In addition to being old fashioned I'm incredibly stingy in this area, I don't like and will not share my partner with anyone else, if someone wants in on what I got, well to bad, they can find it somewhere else.

• I think people are generally monogamous here. I don't think it's necessarily wrong to be in open relationship, I just don't think I would really get the same feelings as in a committed one.

• Nah I imagine open marriages especially in North America wouldn't work out very long term.

Personally nope, can't share a girl I love with someone else or I wouldn't want to be with anyone else if I were married to someone I love.

• I don't think it's that common in other places, to be honest. Definitely not common in Brazil or other places I've had a chance to visit.

In my opinion, most of the times, people who claim that are not that interested in the other person but don't want to let go of a (possibly) comfortable situation of having someone there for them.

Considering the way human beings are wired, I don't think it works for 99% of the world. ;)

• Open marriage: Having just a casual relationships but pretending to care more about one specific person.

• I'm from North America and I don't want an open relationship or a marriage, but I do want a relationship that lasts forever

• An "open" relationship is called Being Single. Your not in a relationship if your fucking other people. You basically just have a fuck buddy.

• I kinda expected numbers like that - Seems to be more a male fantasy - I wouldn't like an open marriage

• I don't want it... It's very much prevalent in Europe as compared to North America... Also people in Europe hardly prefer getting married these days

• In the sense that open means having intimate relationships out of wedlock, then no. Being able to freely associate with others and knowing that both spouses are totally committed to their marriage is another thing. Being able to achieve and grow are good things to bring into the marriage relationship, where both are enriched and respected in the commitment.

• I'm not from N. America, though I live here; I'm not interested on open relationships. If I wanted other people, I'd just stay single.

• open marriage isn't marriage, it is a long term friends with benefits

• If I'm married, I'm in it for the monogamy. I'm not allowing all this perversion to ruin my dream of a monogamous marriage.

#NoCucking :-P

• My fiancee used to say, in response to this topic, "I'm too greedy to share." And I agree with that thought.

• No. That just says I would have no respect for her, and she would have no respect for me.

• I don't have time for that cuckold bullshit

nymag.com/.../...aught-one-man-about-feminism.html

• No way

• I can't see this ever being my thing. I want to share all things with a special someone. Well this is assuming that I find a special someone.

• Why are you asking? 🙄

• I would not want an open relationship or an open marriage.

• I think a proper marriage as per the laws of the country and with blessings of your religion and celebrated in the presence of all people dear to you is the best thing to do. But some people need other choices , so they may go ahead with their preferred choices. Life affords choice. Choose what you like.

• As we say here, "not my cuppa tea m8"

Ditto ^

Only where I'm from we say:

"Not a near chance in hell there bud. I'm sayin' that's a hard no, hoser."

• More from Guys
    40

3 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 31

• By saying 'being able to see other people without my spouse/boyfriend being present', do you mean being able to hookup with others and it being 100% okay by my s/o's standards?

You'd probably have to google that for official statistics but i'm definitely not pro-open relationships. I get that some people may be into different levels of exclusivity and all but I just don't see the point of labeling it a 'relationship' in the first place if you're both okay with each other fucking others, y'know? For me, there's either 100% exclusivity or nothing at all.

• I have absolutely no desire for an open relationship/marriage. I prefer monogamy and loyalty in relationships. If other couples are okay with it then cool, to each their own, but I would never agree to it.

• No. I don't think I'd ever be ok with my partner with someone else and I definitely can't be with more than one person.

If it works for others, kudos to them, but not me. I don't fall easily, but when i do, I'm pretty much gum stuck on the bottom of your shoe lol

• No way.

• I selected that I'm in an open marriage but technically only he's allowed to hook up with others. And we're only engaged

• No, because your significant other may grow attached to another person and leave you. I'm going to say no way on this one.

well they could do that anyhow. if they are committed they are committed. if not not doesn't take an open relationship to get someone to leave. its like saying if your friends have other friends they won't be your friend anymore.

• So, no option for couples who are already in a open relationship, but not yet married, but do plan to marry? Option F, that's me.

• I am from the US and I like the idea of an open relationship. It sounds more free compared to the cage I see normal relationships as. Whether I'd actually try to make this a thing for me and my boyfriend, well... probably no time soon :/ It's something to talk about down the line maybe.

• I don't even understand what the point is in being married if you do that. Marriage is supposed to be sacred. If you want to screw around then just date people who want the same things, but don't desecrate the sanctity of marriage with all your perversions.

• I wouldn't want an open relationship at any point, dating, engaged, married... no. I'm not into sharing. And I'm not gonna share myself.

• not exactly

• i voted C i am not from North America and i would NOT want an open marriage cause there's 0% commitment in it.. no thanks!

• I'm never having an open relationship

• If he wants an OPEN😊 ... relationship... I'll simply OPEN... up his head.. with a monkey wrench😠 my name isn't Jada and his isn't Will, dafuq!

• No, I have no desire to be in an open relationship, married or otherwise, but especially not married. If I wanted to sleep with more than one person, I wouldn't be in a relationship. That is just asking for drama.

• I don't like to share, I know that " you're mine and I'm yours" it's kind of... Dominative and narcissist, but what's mine is mine

• I would think that would be too slippery of a slope for most people. Just too many hazards to make the risk/reward seem reasonable.

• I love being North American!

• The only open marriage couple that I knew, divorced after two years of marriage.

• I'm from New York, USA. I definitely don't do open relationships, plus don't know anyone personally who has been or does open relationships over here.

• An open relationship would be okay for me, but an opened marriage would cause too many problems. But that's just my opinion

Why would u be okay with it even in a relationship? Sex?

@Swano I don't find relationships to be all that serious until someone proposes. I'm not too big of a fan of sex so I wouldn't really mind if the person I'm with has sex with somebody else.

• I couldn't be in an open relashionship, however I think I could be open to swinging.

Why?

@Swano Becuase the partners are generally friends, or in the same room. There's no backstabbing there's no going behind one another's back. Plus, always wanted a threesome. But this kind of thing needs years of trust before I would even consider/want it. Lastly I reckon it'll be sexy watching my man get off with a stranger/close friend etc.

• I'd like to try one day, although I don't know about being married first.

• I'm from the US and am not about that life. Commitment is partially about exclusivity, for me.

• No. I prefer monogamy

• What's the point of being married then... Lol. Hell no I wouldn't want one

• People in open marriages aren't truly in love or serious about each other. Just think about it.

• Hell no only my fiance is the only one. I perfers to stay loyal and belong to one man that's my fiance. Only whores do that.

• I'm in one... Well kinda

It's only open when it comes to sex. I still have sex with other people and so does my boyfriend, but there are no romantic feelings involved. I could stay stick to one person sexually if I wanted to, but I honestly don't see the point.

As for marriage, I only see it as a piece of paper. I'd consider it but I don't see it as anything different from a long term relationship.

What do you mean? Don't you wanna love the person you give yourself to?

@Sami365 I think it's best for both of us :)

I'm glad it works out for you. For some people, it is the perfectly balance for them and it's a shame that such a balance is seen as taboo by some people :/

1 private opinion(s)