Should I propose to my girlfriend on her birthday?

I am 26 and my girlfriend is 18. Halloween will be our one year anniversary of dating. It will also be my girlfriend's 19th birthday. We have been through so much stuff (mostly funny) since our relationship started. I played a prank on her asking her to marry and she started crying saying yes she'd marry me. She got pissed when she found out I was pranking her. Now I want to ask her to marry me for real at her birthday party. Good idea?

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• Too soon, wait til she gets older at least.

I will wait another few years. She's still pretty young and she just got started with college.

What Girls Said 14

• One year? I mean do you really even know her after ONE year. My boyfriend and I have been together for 4 years and I can't imagine marrying him anytime soon...

On top of that there is a significant age difference there. You're probably about the right age to start thinking about marriage... and she's still a baby. She has no idea what she wants in life right now. She doesn't even know if marriage is right for her right now. Don't do it dude. Awful idea.

• I think it's absolutely crazy how people can get engaged after one year, and then married by year two.

I personally believe that you must know your partner more than thoroughly - and this requires more than just the typical "4 seasons" rule. This requires knowing how your partner will react in situations that cause stress on your relationship, with staleness and monotony being one of them. This won't occur within one year.

A year's engagement seems perfectly fine on the condition that you have dated your partner for at least 2 years.

• Same age difference between my last boyfriend and me. He proposed after like 6 months and it did not go well. It was over very quickly.

• wayyy too soon dude.. the fact that she said yes and you ready to propose her for marriage is enough to realize you both have got some growing up to do

• Make it November 1st "All Saints Day." Lovely Moment in The... Eyes of God.
    Good luck. xx

• I'd say that b would be awesome, sweet, and loving fo sho! however, I know a year seems like a long time but really it's not. just make sure it's what you really want😍

• good idea but don't be surprised if she gets mad and thinks its another prank from you

• I would personally wait at least another 2 years...

• Sounds like a prank video I saw on YouTube. Anyhow, I think it's too soon for marriage between you two but if you really wanna do it go ahead

• Honestly that's really early for her to be engaged... I'd probably wait a few more years. What's the rush?

• I mean, if you're sure you're ready. I guess.

• Maybe, but since you had played that prank on her, she might not believe you at the beginning. XD At least I wouldn't.

• That's an awful lot of pressure to put on a kid, if you ask me.

• Nah. Bad idea. You want the anniversary and bday celebration to be on separate days later on.

What Guys Said 16

• No, at this time, you shouldn't marry anyone because you need to do some growing up.

Playing pranks, which is slightly sadistic, indicates that you don't understand that trust and loyalty are the most important elements in a relationship. My wife pulled a prank on me less than one year after we were married. While not screaming, I expressed my displeasure in no uncertain terms. Basically, I told her that if she ever did that again I would divorce her and there would be no chance of reconciliation. Neither of us have played a prank on either one ever since and things between us are much better.

That said, regardless of the above, as I have commented here at G@G numerous times, I recommend living with your girlfriend for 2 years, then consider getting married. A two-year period is a good time frame for experiencing day in day out life together and for overcoming some stress issues and discovering those things that bother the other person so you learn if you can really tolerate them for the rest of your life. Dating and living together are two radically different concepts and experiences.

• if you are 100% sure you are ready then sure you can ask her to marry you

i would just consider when and how she would want to be asked. does she want to be asked in front of a lot of people? would she prefer something more intimate?

• The thought and way of proposing is great. I worry about after the just a year of dating only. But if your ready and sure go for it. Good luck.

• Homie what the actual fuck... wait a couple of years give it time... you might not be as compatible as you think as time goes on.

• That's when I did.

• Why on her bday. Way to rob a special day and overshadow it by a selfish act. Her bday is a day for her. Your proposal is a day for you and her

Let her have her birthday and do it another time

• Seems like a good idea, but it's not. Not only should you wait for a different day, dude, how about waiting like another YEAR OR TWO? You say you've been dating a year? how many actual hours have you spent together? I think you're rushing like crazy.

• LOL. I'm surprised you still have a girlfriend. I think it's still a young age for her though...

• My advice is to wait another year before proposing. Waiting another year doesn't in anyway mean you love each other less. Marriage is a big deal. Don't rush it!
    As for the idea its a great idea! But if you want surprise factor do it on a day that means nothing when she doesn't expect it! And then you will have another day in hour life that mean something to the two of you.

• what i say before marriage is that you need to see each other in good and bad times.

this means good and bad times in health, money, relationships, etc to see how they react to things and who they really are. you really find out whats in a tube of toothpaste when you squeeze

• The pranking her was not a smart move at all! But... if you two do in fact love each other go for it, but be prepared for the "Not falling for that again ass!" comment!

• No. Let her celebrate her birthday first. Then wait for a few more days and then propose to her.

• Nope, definitely a horrible idea.

• Do it man!

• well, it's only a proposal. ain't like you're getting married the next day. better make sure this time though, that she knows it's for real. wasn't very cool of you to play a prank like that with her about that sort of thing. girls take marriage pretty seriously

• Dude this is the worst possible mistake you could make a girl isn't fully mature at 18 and Dosent know what she wants, she will say yes then a few months in cheating will become an issue.

I'm speaking from personal experience and seeing it happen to friends when I was 19 I dated a girl who was 18 she had no clue what she wanted