Is marriage really necessary?

What do you think?

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

• Marriage is necessary for the people who believe in it and also for their children. The worst thing divorce does is affect children.

Great answer!

Thanks again. I didn't even know what my father looked like until high school because of it. I like to say their divorce lasted fifteen years because they were still fighting about us fifteen years later. Now I don't talk to either of them and they're still fighting about back child support.

Marriage is something that seems to be a mere token these days. I think the reason why most end in divorce (mine included) was that once they had children, the kids always came first. It's important to keep a strong foundation between the parents so the children have that to stand on. Even for blended families, spouses come first as the children will grow and begin their own life. I'm. It saying that the spouse gets their way every time, but never should they make their partner feel less than anyone else in the home.

Most Helpful Guy

• Seeing as I was married, I wholeheartedly say no. It's outdated, it's not needed, and it only creates bad things and the good things aren't that great.

What Girls Said 12

• No, @jman46241, Only if Someone is Ready and Willing to Share His or Her life with Another who is Also... Ready and Willing. Marriage is a Huge responsibility.
    Many couples today who Live together, bond together, but it doesn't Mean that a Legal Piece of Paper is the way to their Heart, it's Something they just don't wish To.. Start.
    Good luck and great question, Thanks for Sharing. xx

Yes, too many couples "take the plunge" before willing to share lives.. That should not be a wedding vow, that should be established long before!

I got married myself to an Egyptian man who took marriage very seriously. However, I should have taken it more seriously myself when he was serious in the end about me residing out in Egypt, which was not what we had planned at first. xx

Thank you for the Like, hun. xx

• I have asked if the institution of marriage as we know it today is becoming less important before in a poll at my college, I got mixed response...
    . it seemed almost like your poll. I believe society has dramatically changed, and maybe it is less valued today

I'm surprised that more women voted and commented in a close 2/1 ratio.. Interesting indeed.

• I don't know if it's necessary but I imagine it's a pretty special way to spend the rest of your life. Having a partner.

But you don't have to be married to spend the rest of your life with a partner.

What's a guys perspective?

We are generally scared off because the laws of marriage have not changed to reflect the changes in society..

• Yes it is very necessary, if you want a lifetime together as a couple.

But why?

No worries about the late reply, well anyways you are most likely not to have to deal with the partner running out on you (though I understand it happens sometimes to married couples too) but it's a whole harder to do then if you are not married and together.

I am not married..

• Yes. It's important in my religion and my religion is important to me.

• For me, I think so.

• I want to get married so I'd say yes. It's a step further to a serious relationship

There should be a serious relationship before marriage is considered..

Of course yes
      I'd never get married without a serious relationship for at least 4 or 5 years

• It's necessary for me.

• Necessary? No. But it's something a lot of people want, myself included.

• It's not necessary, but it is worth it and it is nice :)

• For me it's, at least i won't be a lonely mom.

• Says who?

What Guys Said 9

• No marriage is not necessary. Over 50 percent end in divorce. So that is already a bad percentage to start off with. And the person who has the most money gets screwed in the end from a divorce. So if your rich its already a bad investment. Unless you have a good prenup.

That usually applies to men by laws that haven't been updated since women really (and I admire) joined the workforce in the early 70's. A decent amount of women actually earn more than men and rightfully so under fair terms,, yet the same marriage laws and perception remains..

My bad for the late reply, once again I don't get replies in the notifications to questions or takes unless the @ mention.. I swear it was different earlier this year! Anyway, I think it was fair for Madonna, she slept around.. Completely unfair for Harrison Ford, just because he had money. It's sad that we, for the most part, don't exactly carry the same ideals of those those that have been married for 30+ years. There is still hope, but views need to change with the times.

Lol it's ok. a lot of users don't like the notifications. One time I had over 100 notifications and it can get overwhelming navigation. Yes that is true it is sad marriage isn't what is suppose to be today. Which is ever lasting love and until the person dies. a lot of people don't really understand the vows. If I ever got married I would want the marriage to last as long as possible. It's sad that so many people get divorced and don't try to work things out.

• That depends how you perceive marriage and whether you care how society views you when you're married or not married.

While a growing number of millenials are avoiding marriage, and preferring a non-tethered relationship, that doesn't mean the world sees their relationship the same. For example, even if you don't believe in marriage, society understands the concept behind it. If you are unmarried and tell people and employers that you have 4 children with your girlfriend, you are sure to be viewed differently than a person who says they are married with 4 children.

Married people are viewed as stable and mature.
    Unmarried people with kids are viewed as irresponsible and that they fucked up and made kids by accident. That's just how it is. If you look at studies in literature, these perceptions have a large influence on people's salary, and career advancement, as well as how other members of their own family see them.

Most people think of "girlfriend" or "boyfriend" as a temporary arrangement since most of us will go through many many boyfriends/girlfriends in our lifetime.

• No. You can have the same life without marriage.

• yes , you dont build a house by stacking blocks on top of each other, something gotta hold them together and that is cement my friend, marriage may not seem necessary, sure you can have sex, have kids, live together without being marriage but the moment a fight happnes one of is gonna leave the other and break up mainly becasue nothing holds you together , you haven't made an oath to stay together, you haven't promised to be by each others side and you haven't done any of that before god or even the goverment so breaking up is easy no need to fix it, with marriage however you are more encouraged to fix whatever problems you have, you also feel more comfortable, secure and happy knowing you both decided to take such a huge step together it means true love, its a step up, a higher level commitment and status that not only has effects on your way of life but on you mentally as well, just thinking about being married to a woman you love and adore should be a good enough reason to make you happy.

So a ceremony and a ring changes everything? You should adore who you're with no matter. They should be your world!

maybe you just dont appreciate commiting to another person

I do, but that doesn't mean marriage is necessary. We already discussed this..

• Probably only if you want kids and a traditional kind of family. But if you don't ever want any kids then I don't think it really matters at all any more.

It doesn't matter if you want kids or not.

@RavenConnor But I bet that most people that are absolutely certain and had clearly made up their mind that they never want to be someone's parent is also very likely to not marry at all.

But for those people that do really want kids are more likely going to get married, if you get what I mean?

• Yes it's important not to all but to most and necessary and important to me and to my culture and religion.

• Of course it's not "necessary".

• For non-religious people, marriage isn't as necessary.

• No thanks.