How long would you have to be together with a s/o for it to be ok for you to get married?

• 1-4weeks
  • 2-6 months
  • 6-12 months
  • 1-4 years
  • 5-7 years
  • 8-10 years
  • 10+ years

Most Helpful Guy

• It's not about time necessarily, more so about knowing who they are and loving that... You could hang around more than 10 years and be nothing more than a booty call or you could be really honest and open and get there in someone's heart in 6 months... even if it takes a little longer for things to play out.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it depends on the situation you both are in. Like if you are both studying and you don't want to get married until you finish studies, or if you gotta wait until he sorts his things out and you sort yours, etc. If everything is perfect and there's no obstacles in the way then I'd say 1-2 years. But it definitely doesn't depend on time. It depends on you guys and your feelings

What Guys Said 13

• 3 years minimum. I wanna be 100% sure she's the right girl.

• I probably could have married my wife after 3 years of dating but I wanted to live together too and we lived together for 2 years and I asked her then for a total of 5 years to get engaged another 2 and we got married.

• 3-5 years

• there's no set time, it all depends on both our intentions etc.

• Preferably 2 years or so.

• Whenever you two feel you're ready. Believe it or not, nobodies approval is required but you and your SO.

• Real Man's opinion: Im never getting married. Marraige is a 'girl power' legal institution, and Im just not that stupid.

Just pointing out that it means you can do things like file joint tax returnes, can adopt kids jointly, can take out a mortgage jointly, and share healthcare... Seems like a pretty sweet deal for a guy

• I think at least half a year but probably a full year is better

• 2 days

• i like anything after 7 years id be comfortable asking the question.

• 5 years maybe

• A couple years.

• Never I don't believe in marriage

What Girls Said 16

• At least two years for me. I've been with my partner for five years though and I don't think we're near ready to get married yet.

• My fiance and I started dating October 1, 2011. We got engaged August 1, 2016. Our wedding date will be June 16, 2018. So... yeah, 7 years. It's a good amount of time, I feel like.

• At least a year...
    But everyone moves at their own pace.

+ remember: people who are engaged for a long time usually never get married, but split up

• 3-4 months was IT

• For me it would probably have to be a year before I would say yes to the proposal. It is good to see your partner at every time of the month, every season, to see what they are really like. I don't want to have doubts that I will be marrying the right person... I want to be nervous but I want to know. Marriage is not something I will take lightly. It is a big deal, especially since I want to start having one year into the marriage.

• 1 year at least but def no more then 4 years.

• at least a year or something

• Oh gosh, I'd say at least 3-5 years tbh

• depends on how old they are. teenagers? 5 years or more. 20+ maybe id say 3 years. 25 yr old id say a year and a half. depends on how old you are

• I think after 3 years of dating, I would know for certain whether or not marrying my s/o would be a good idea

• 1 year at a minimum, but it's probably better to be together 2-3 years at least.

• I'd say about a year and a half to get engaged and then get married about a year after that.

• > 3 years.

• It's different for everyone

• Whenever it feels right. No set time

• I think it depends on your life stage. When my parents got married they had only been dating for 11 months. However, they were both 30, had their lives together, and knew what they wanted from life. They are still happily married (and have been so for 26 years). However, I think it's unrealistic for a 22 year old to get married to someone after a few months. You still have a lot to figure out about yourself at 22, what job you'll have, what your live goals are, where you want to/are going to live, etc. I don't know. I guess every relationship is different. For me, I think I'd like to date from 1-2 years to get married. Why should I put off the inevitable and date for 5 years when I know he's the one.