Do you think marriage is relevant in the 21st century?

Is marriage something you would want in your future?

• Marriage is still important for social, economic, and committment reasons.
  • Marriage is important due to my religious beliefs, convictions, societal, or for family reasons.
  • Cohabitation is better, you can enjoy lifelong benefits of companionship and love without worrying about legal consequences and divorce
  • Relationships only, I prefer my personal space and don't enjoy living or getting to entangled with anyone.
  • I plan on remaining single.
1mo If you want to, please specify which option you voted for in your opinion. Thanks for voting guys.

Most Helpful Girl

• A mixture between B and C. B because I personally don't want to be in my 30's referring to my SO as my boyfriend. C because I still believe in retaining my sense of individuality. The SO and I have already agreed on a prenup. We don't believe in giving hand outs just for tagging along.

I think that's one of my main reasons for wanting option C myself. I agree with the need for eliminating alimony. The title reasons seem to be a major motivator among women who support marriage. Something about being able to use the words, "My Husband". Either way, you could always refer to him as that without actually being legally married. Just an idea, lol. Also, the only downside the prenups, is some courts do not honor them when divorce proceedings occur. Especially if major life changes happen such as joint children or joint property. Duration of the marriage is also another factor.

• 22d

Aww! Thank you for the MHO.

• 22d

No problem. I liked how you weighed your options.

Most Helpful Guy

• It's relevant for women. For men, not so much.

The concept of "marriage" is and has always been more advantageous to women then to men.

Men are biologically designed to plant their seeds and then move on to the next woman. Women are biologically designed to bear children and nurture them until they are developed enough to survive on their own. For this reason, women always have been and -- until there are robots that can replace them -- always will be the primary caretakers for the children. They are physiologically designed for child rearing while men are designed to hunt, kill and bring home the meat.

The reason men are less amenable to marriage is because it isn't natural for them. Millennia of evolution made them solitary hunters. But for women, it's always been a benefit to have a man around as a protector and provider for her and her offspring. Women benefit from the long term relationship, at least long enough to raise the kids to an age that they could potentially survive on their own. Maybe that's why the average marriage lasts about 12 or 13 years... just long enough to raise the kids to that point. That's why women are much more about the "commitment" (sometimes known as marriage) then men.

What Girls Said 30

• The problem is that people have lost the sense of importance of RITUAL.
    "Ritual" probably brings to mind religious images, but, it's more than that, and it's an integral part of the human experience.

Think about “initiation” ceremonies into secret societies (military societies, fraternities, etc.)
    And cultural rites of passage, and pledges of allegiance, and national anthems, and all those formal shows of patriotism.
    And… wedding ceremonies, and renewals of vows, and so on.

Think about the kind of bond that’s created by these things.
    When rituals are performed REGULARLY... people will literally go to the ends of the earth for those to whom they’re bonded through these kinds of ceremonies.

Marriage is one of these rituals -- and, believe me, NO ONE stands up there and says "I do" with the intent of forsaking their partner down the line.
    It's a beautiful thing. There's NOTHING like looking into yr beloved's eyes and declaring yr commitment, in front of the world. It's wonderful, and it's sexy, and it's fucking amazing in every way.

THE PROBLEM is...
    Most people don't KEEP performing the ritual, REGULARLY, in any way.
    They have one ceremony, and expect it to last the rest of their lives.

Well... it won't.

The wedding vows should be like a pledge of allegiance. They should be something you both say to each other, in stolen moments, and in the heat of passion, and in the agony of tragedy.

When it's the middle of a slow night, and you grab each other's hands for an impromptu dance in the hallway or in a parking lot... "I do."

When you're making hard and fast and passionate love... "I do."

When you've lost a friend or a parent, and you're there to comfort each other, and to be a shoulder for each other to cry on... "I do."

When you look at that ring on yr finger, you should be *overwhelmed*. With everything that it stands for.
    Commitment.
    Love.
    Lust.
    Passion.
    Struggle.
    Sacrifice.
    Growth.
    Ecstasy.
    Purpose.
    Structure.
    Support.
    Challenge.
    Partnership.
    Strength.
    Vulnerability.
    Understanding.
    Building a whole life together.

That ring on yr hand stands for ALL of those things, loud and clear.

And, you should tell each other "I do" again EVERY DAY.
    Even when times are hard -- ESPECIALLY when times are hard -- you should "marry" each other all over again... and suddenly the hard times won't be AS hard.
    They'll still be hard, but, "I do" will help you through the worst.

The ritual should NEVER end.

And if it doesn't... then, neither will yr marriage.

This ^^ has even more importance NOW than ever before, because so much of the bare economic necessity behind marriage has been stripped away.

It's not that people VALUED marriage any more in the past... ahahah hell no they didn't. (Just think about the way our grandparents' generation talked about it in private -- and about how much time each sex spent basically in full retreat from the other.)
      But, only recently has it even been POSSIBLE for people to break up marriages, without the danger of starving or going without basic domestic functions of life.

So... now it's more important than ever before for people to focus on what will REALLY strengthen a marriage. Through both good times and bad.

relationships, and so on.

The problem with these "alternatives" to the traditional marriage ceremony, though, is that it's EXTREMELY unlikely that they can be a valid substitute for the traditional marriage ceremony IN THE EYES OF EVERYONE who truly matters to the couple -- everyone they want to INVOLVE in celebrating and formalizing their commitment together.

Remember, a wedding isn't solely about the couple. Often, a wedding isn't even *primarily* about the couple. It's about EVERYONE coming together and bonding the two to each other... whether "everyone" is 10, 100, or 1000 people.
      Inevitably -- unless the couple seriously lives *their entire lives* in some sort of alternative off-grid lifestyle (like, belonging to a cult, or sth) -- many of those 10 or 100 or 1000 people are going to be marginalized by an "alternative" commitment ceremony. It won't seem real to them -- in fact, more than likely it will seem like deliberate *avoidance* of swearing a TRUE commitment, in their eyes.

@redeyemindtricks While marriage itself is an act, the true test of love and commitment is shown over time, not through a one time public ceremony. Marrying in front of 10-1000 people doesn't validate anything, it simply puts your romance out for public approval to begin with. I think half of the appeal of keeping it private, is that you don't need anyone's or anything's approval or validation for what you and your partner share. Aside from that, not every family member is guaranteed to get behind your marriage, no matter how formal and traditional you choose to celebrate it. They simply might not approve of your spouse. Besides, many find a private and forbidden love even more romantic if you will. Loving each other against all odds, against all rules, against all laws. Not needing to go through legal processes, and to just live life and enjoy each other freely.

• I chose cohabitation. But I believe if marriage is important to someone, it's still relevant in their life. Everyone has their reasons for wanting marriage or for not wanting marriage. We must respect those reasons as no two people are exactly the same.

I would like to get married someday. At least that's how I feel now. But when I was younger I thought I would be married at 19. Now thinking about that makes my skin crawl. I would have ended up in an unhappy marriage for sure! I've learned so much since then and am glad I never did get married young.

Not that there is anything wrong with getting married young. But my options at the time were not all that great.

We also need to not push marriage on people who don't see a relevance in their lives for it. I literally get asked all the time if I am engaged or married and I'm not even in a relationship! The pressure is immense when people tell me how easy it is to find someone (my cousin's wife told me this) and how I must not be trying hard enough.

I just don't know why people feel the need to pressure other people about their lives. We all have a different flow to our lives. We should respect that :)

• Marriage is still relevant in the 21st century. The only place it seems to be non-relevant is in online forums, especially ones like 'the redpill'.

I definitely want to be married in the future.

Well cohabitation is on the rise, and the social stigma of out of wedlock doesn't really exist anymore. Did you vote for option A or B? Marriage is far from dead, and many desire it, but I think people just need to be honest about what they are looking for in their future is all. Many times, couples have different long term life goals, and this leads to conflict despite attraction, feelings and love.

yeah of course. It has changed quite a bit in terms of what marriage meant and why it was done in the 1800/1900's. The approach to dating+marriage is a lot more lax and people no longer feel quite as pressured to marry/be subordinate to a certain someone for cultural reasons but I wouldn't say that marriage as a whole is any less 'relevant'. :)

I agree, it's very important for many people. Ideally I would prefer option C, as I enjoy the married lifestyle and living with a sweetheart. Just have that feeling that she might want to make it official one day, not too many women out there seem to like option C, lol.

• If course it is. 2nd option in my case. And I want to marry someone special one day and spend my whole life with this person ☺

• I think marriage is still relevant to those that believe in it, and it meaning something more than a piece of paper. If a person doesn't care, or can only think of divorce when they hear the word, "marriage," than it has no meaning.

• Marriage is important to some people and for a lot of reasons. It means something to them, and sometimes they think it's the right thing to do.
    I don't want to get married. I feel like I would be wasting a lot of money for just one day. Plus, divorces are expensive and complicated.
    By the way, I don't know why but I had some people saying that I'm going to marry. They say they can picture me as someone's wife Lol
    And I had two guys telling they would marry me (they weren't serious, of course).
    Anyways, I voted C. That would be the perfect solution for me.

• I don't think it's relevant. But I still want it, not for economic reasons (since I already have money), but I really want someone to love, call my own and spend the rest of my life with.

My parents marriage is such an inspiration to me. They are the only reason marriage actually seems worth it.

My grandparents had that marriage, over 50 years. I think the older generation was a bit tougher, and held values that made long term marriages more possible. Divorce was also considered a very negative event in those days.

• In the West, I think now marriage has become a personal choice rather than a social demand and requirement to be accepted in society.

Although some countries are still stuck in that way of thinking, but even in those countries there are parts that are evolving to be break free of these norms.

So for your own personal future, do you want marriage? What option did you end up voting for?

Yes, I do want to get married and I voted "Marriage is important due to my religious beliefs, convictions, societal, or for family reasons."

• I think marriage is subjective and not for everyone. I for one am happy that their are more excepted options for those who don't fit in the box.

For the record I am happily married but I was lucky enough to find my soul-mate, the love of my life... ti wouldn't have been worth ti if I hadn't.

That's good, and thanks for the response and sharing.

Absolutely, there are tons of unconventional families out there if you will. Lmao, at high powered jobs and babies. Well you need to be able to take care of yourself, and babies are the future. I think marriages are harder to maintain these days, and people are more self centered. We do live in a throw away society.

Haha I have 2 lawyer friend who is married to a doctor friends (both woman & straight) they both had babies and raise them together with the help of daycare & eachother and they date when they are in the mood or have the time-lol.

But yeah, but I think more then ever you can choose what kind of society you want to partake in. Most just happen to find throw away the most convenient and convenient is appealing to many people.

• First of all, there's a difference between marriage and wedding. Marriage is important due to my religion beliefs, and society but wedding is important because of our culture. Marriage is all about being a real family, well of course you can be a real family without it but I mean, it's all about proving your love in front of God, but also about society because when a woman gets her husband's name, it doesn't mean she is his but that she is a big part of his life. Marriage is about having a kid and letting him know that they love each other for real they got engaged and he is there because they wanted to be together in first place. Don't get me wrong, of coure some people who aren't married love each other and treat their kids really good but I think they don't treat themselves the way they should.

So you believe marriage provides a better foundation for a family and a couple, as opposed to two people who just live together and raise children without a legal marriage?

yes.

• Marriage is the end goal for me because of my convictions. I guess it has economic benefits too, but those are like perks and not the reason by partner and I are talking marriage.

• I don't think so and I don't care if I ever get married or not. If I did it would only be for any legal benifit. Other wise I would be perfectly happy staying with my boyfriend and never going through with it.

• I have never cohabitated and I never will. If i do get into a serious relationship, it will be marriage first before living together

Wouldn't it be nice to know what someone is like to live with before making that commitment? Divorce is a pain...

• My boyfriend and I look forward to the day we get married and have a family.

• i find it hard to speak for myself in general cause these questions i would prefer to have them more as "general" instead of " which would i prefer" because my values would be different and i don't quite know which to pick, plus i'm not religious. i would imagine myself as married but i don't know what my life would turn out to be. heh...

Which would you like to see for yourself, if given an option?

• 23d

@cross98 Nicely put.

• I definitely want to be married one day. I believe it still has a place and I don't think it is disappearing anytime soon but of course it is not for everyone.

• It's important in the case of having children.

• C. Because I never really thought about getting married but if I did and if it doesn't work out I don't have to deal with divorce papers.

• Marriage isn't as important anymore. After all, it's just a party and a piece of paper. I think most people get married because they want to have a wedding and show everyone they would like to stay together for a long time.

Marriage is more than just a piece of paper. A lot more goes into it than signing a paper.

@bente2 Okay and... I have been witness to tons of weddings. A marriage isn't just about the paper work

@beautifulangel76 oh god don't give me that 'love' crap. I'm sure marriage is great and all but it's the same as being in a relationship. The fact you have to wear rings doesn't change the love.

• Definitely C.

• I want that commitment and just to know that we plan on doing life together. I also think there has also been a lot of societal and religious influence in the way I view marriage.

External influences probably mold everyone more than they would like to admit. Thanks for sharing, and that kind of gives me another topic idea.

• I think marriage is important for tradition. I want a big wedding and to celebrate my union to a man. Just living in the same house with someone golds no special value in my opinion.

• it's actually scientifically proven that marriage has a more positive impact on someones mental and physical health

For SOME marriages that is true...

@zagor no it's proven that marriage for at least SOME time or the WHOLE time increases your general well-being

• Families are the foundation of society, if there are no families it will fall.
    Althouhg marriage is not required (at all) to form a family, it is better if a couple is married.

• Yes. I want to be married someday 💯

Which option did you vote for, A or B? I'm sure if you just smile and bat the eyelashes some man will sweep in and sign the papers lol. I take it your from Cote D'Ivoire? Do you still live in Africa, or abroad somewhere? My ex wife was a Nigerian who I met in Germany before coming back to the United States.

Ok. Well thanks for voting and your input.

Yep 😊

• i believe it is

• To me, its about tradition. I want the big wedding of two familes coming together to celebrate a new beginning of their loved one/s.

• Yeah, no I believe in marriage thank you.

• I want to get married someday

• I strongly believe in marriage. It is a kind of responsibility and do not work for hookers.

What Guys Said 52

• I plan on remaining single. The way I had always look at it, if you really want children then take chances with marriage, if not, then it's not really all that important or even matter anymore. People can always delay marriage if raising children is not their first priority or any of their most important priorities.

• Would I want to be married?
    No and hell no!
    This is why.
    In Western societies, marriage is a legal contract that is enforced by the state. The contract is weighted completely in favour of the female.
    Where I live (Australia), a man can own a house before a marriage. After two years of marriage, the woman can leave and the Family Court will give her the house. Half of all marriages end in divorce, about 80 per cent of which are initiated by women.
    The Family Court will also give the woman half to all of the man's other assets. If there is a child, or children, the Family Court will impose a child-support order that will not take into account the man's real-world income.
    I worked with a fellow upon whom a support order for three children had been imposed. The marriage ended after she was caught in the act of adultery, in the marital bed. She got the house, which he had owned before they married. After the weekly child support had been taken out of his pay, he had $20 less than he would have had on unemployment welfare.
    In 90 per cent of cases, custody of children is given to the female, whether or not she is a fit parent and/or able to support the children. Simply being born with a vagina makes her a more fit parent, in the view of the Family Court.
    Custody is given to the father only if the mother does not want custody.
    For example, a male relative's wife went bipolar, began to use all manner of recreational drugs and began to work as a prostitute to finance her vices.
    When my male relative found out what was going on, he divorced her. The Family Court gave her the house, custody of the children and imposed upon him a ruinous support order. The fact that she was an insane drug-fucked prostitute did not rule her out as the 'better' parent.
    I could give many, many such examples of which I am aware personally.
    Marriage has become such a bad deal for men that only a naive simpleton would contemplate it.

• it's not the same or as significant as it used to be. marriage really used to be about combining of family assets. so in times when women weren't allowed to own land or a family sought to improve or solidify it's social and economic standing marriage was the route to do so

it still has importance on an individual level and there are plenty of economic and social benefits.

• Of course its still relevant. Look at how the black community destroyed itself by having so many kids out of wedlock. Poverty, drugs, crime, unemployment. I think the current estimate is 72% of black kids grow up living with just one parent. That's more than half, amost 3/4s!! Crazy.

• Marriage is very important due to it's true purpose of being the committed union between a man and woman

Hahaha! You really believe that?

@Barrabus_the_Free are you actually 30? i thought you would actually provide a substance based objection.

There's no commitment. She can do anything she wants, at any time, with whoever, and there are NO consequences or repercussions. In fact, she get rewarded. The System will make sure that even if you catch her getting gangbanged while doing heroin in front of a child, and putting video of the event on the internet, she will be rewarded with cash and prizes. AT LEAST half of everything, plus vagimony, plus custody, plus Mommy's Party Fund Support. Don't worry, tho, you'll still be on the hook for her credit card and student loan debt. Hopefully you don't have a new car that you're making payments on, because she'll get that but you'll have to pay for it.

Marriage is a completely one-sided business contract. She gets the benefits, you get the risk and losses. If you and I were to start a business and we had a contract that mirrored marriage, and you got the female half, if my lawyer told me to sign that contract he would be disbarred.

• No, it's not. Marriage is just a stupid custom. Well, that's only my opinion, if a person wants to do it then they can, that's a person decision.

Marriage is not important, it's not a necessity.

• It kind of a joke... especially with how many times people get married and divorced. If you look at Hollywood some of them only marry for 30<60 days... WTF? I think you should have to remain married a given amount of time... or only be given 2 marriage licenses.. if your not a widow... I think that would force people to think harder about, "Is this the one for me or not" as there would be consequences. The fact the they say, "Til death do us part" in the presence of god/religious figure... then get a divorce like it's nothing... really tells you how strong their faith is (hypocrites).

Divorces are very frequent. Statistically speaking most people are not going to marry only one person and be with them for the rest of their lives.

I know... it basically proves that people get married to early, before they really know the other person. I think women just want to get married so bad that they don't think about the repercussions... same with getting pregnant /having a kid.

• C
    If people want to get married thats their business. Good luck to them.

Personally, I dont see the point. I dont need to spend a huge amount of money on a ceremony to declare to both families that we love each other and are commiting our lives to each other. I can do that everyday by doing it.

Plus, for many people a wedding can get too complex to organise. E. g. All of my family live on the opposite side of the world from me, her family will likely live in another corner of the globe (assuming I dont fall for a local, its a very international area Im in). One or both families have a lot of travelling and have to spend a lot of money to get to 1 location no matter where it is. Its a bit unfair on them. (My solution would be a small ceremony with friends where we live then gatherings at each families location for our honeymoon. The families might meet later or never. Given there's a good chance neither family can talk to each other- different languages- it doesn't matter too much).

But my main reason is I just dont need a ceremony nor piece of paper stating I love someone, I will just love them.

However, I have always said that if my partner wants the ceremony, the piece of paper, and I feel we are in the right situation to do so, I would get married for them. Im not against marriage, I just dont see the point.. unless to make my partner happy :)

• I plan on remaining UNMARRIED. Marriage is obsolete. No benefit for men with a high income or the potential to make one to get married. 50% of marriage end in divorce, 70% women initiate divorce, and 95% of the time men pay child support and alimony. Risk isn't worth the reward. The reason for the high numbers is because divorce benefits women by transferring wealth from the man to her with the power of the state.

• Most relationships aren't strong enough to last even if they think they are plus pepole change so there's never any guarantee.
    I think its the money going to divorce lawyers thats probly the best reason not to get married if you can guarantee you could have something you both agree on that won't through a fortune away to layers then i think its ok but you can't pepole get green eyed and tens of thousands if not your life savings can end up going to greedy lawyers and corrupt judges iv heard the horror stories in America.

• Whether society or the century deems is relevant or not does not matter to me, it will always and I mean always be relevant and important to me both personally and religiously.

But I do believe that in a healthy society people are happily married and that is important.

• Marriage, i would say, not necessarily, because it's religious, or because it's financial, but because it's the very binding of two souls, the commitment that two people make together to stand together, through thick and thin, and work as a team who knows each other better than they know themselves, Marriage should be/is all about love.

• Unfortunately most people (read women) believe its just a box to check off in life, just as their first divorce is another. I'm sick of working towards something I'll likely never get because Boomers [again] killed the conceptual value of an agreement.

• I'm interested in getting married, I think it's an important symbol of your dedication.

Plus, married filing joint is a nice tax break so long as you both keep your finances in order.

• Marriage is relevant in the 21st century, but not necessarily for the right reasons with certain couples. There's certain people that never have the correct intentions of marriage to begin with. Or maybe they do, but they aren't willing to work it out to keep the marriage in tact. They expect marriage to be perfect, when marriage takes hard work.

• Of course it's relevant. There are legal rights that marriage grants a couple that cannot be obtained by other means.

Beyond that, it's just a personal matter as to whether or not it holds any meaning for you.

• Relevant? Yes.

Needed? Obviously not.

But it is still seen as a commitment, a step further in a relationship and a symbol for being in love/having children/staying together forever (even though that doesn't always happen).

I will still get married nonetheless.

• Yes, I think it's relevant today not just from a Christian point of view but also personal. Of course marriage is not for everyone, it's a personal commitment made by choice. If you choose to get married, great; if you choose to stay single, that's okay too. The one thing people need to get is that marriage is not red wine or cheese all the way. It will have it's highs and lows just like an individual's life. I've seen my parents argue, but they're still love each other and are happily married.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9X7G9-2PRc

• Hell yes... hell no... if I say yes , then selectively I'll end up with a much better woman than if I say no to this question. If no... then I'll probably end up dating and flinging with society's lowest form of woman out there. My preference has always been yes...

Someone gets it

Going to have to disagree with this. You're ultimately saying that if people do not desire getting legally married, then they are basically lower class people? I know a few cohabiting couples raising children, and they behave like any other "legal" couple that you see out there. Choosing not to getting married doesn't make you a lifetime violent offender, or a scumbag.

Regulartk421 This opinion is based on the above question about marriage and if it's reverent or not in the 21rst century. What I'm referring to is that those who prefer marriage arrangement will have a better selection of females than if any other arrangement . And choosing to get married is your own choice also , although it doesn't make you anything lower in class , but your selection is of a lower type of individual than those of higher selected marring type of females. if all the benefits of marriage still exist.. you'd be all for it. For me the benefits still exist , for you They probably don't. And yes most women look for men who are on top of game , which aren't in the market for males of lesser status.

• I think its relevant to some. If I was going to have kids it would be after marriage. It isn't something I'd jump into just for the sake of doing it, I know too many guys that have been royally fucked by divorce, so I'm apprehensive.

• It's important if you feel it's important. Nobody should judge their relationship against other peoples but if they want to make a show of committment then its a good way to do so.

I think how easy divorce has become has degraded the meaning of marriage in terms of committment though.

• Been there done that, it's not for me anymore, maybe a relationship with my own space at times

• Don't care of any above. Am married, both love it and both don't care of any of this. My openioin is : Marriage is not for everyone.

• I think for those who believe in the institution of marriage, you cannot split options A and B.

My explanation is that marriage being irrelevant is not the issue. Basically religion has become irrelevant for most and the fear of God has disappeared. That is the reason people feel "why marry" if they can simply cohabit.

B was meant more for those who believe in the ideals of marriage based on their faith, religious values, or personal values. A was more for the social perks or feelings of personal and relationship security. For instance, if marriage actually lead to economic loss and made life harder for couples, category B would still get married since they believe in it fundamentally. Category A was intended to be a more secular option.

Fair enough.

• I think marriage still holds an important place in. our society today. I mean looking at it as merely a piece of paper is only seeing a small fraction or understanding the choice on a very small level. People break it down to possessions, if it fails than I lose this or that... possessions can be replaced, but I think what's truly important is knowing for sure that the one you marry is the one you spend the rest of your life with, and those marriages that fail are due to hasty decisions and/or a failure to Put effort into it to save it. But in the end it isn't for everyone.. I like the idea and plan on getting married soon.

• Never! I already know the cold truth about women in college already; that's enough for me to opt out of society!

• lol look at all those men who say marriage is important-bet you 99% of them never been married. the other 1% suffered a serious brain injury.

• I expected this split. More women think marriage is important then men. Am surprised at how big the divide is...

• It is for some and not for others. It's not an either or thing overall.

• Yes, for legal reasons. Not just taxes, but for life insurance benefits, pension and all that benefit crap.

• More from Guys
    22