How do gay/lesbian couple decide their last name in marriage?

obviously in "traditional" marriage the man is the one that passes down his last name but what about when gay couples get married? how do they decide who's their last name after marriage?

What Girls Said 6

• I think most gay and lesbian couples that get married keep their last names.

I have a cousin who is gay and when she got married last year, her wife changed her last name to my cousin's. I wonder how common it is.

• I assume they just keep their own name or just choose the one that sounds cooler haha.

• The few that I know just both kept their own names.

• Which ever sounds cooler 😂😂😂

• maybe they flip a coin

• One of my aunts is a lesbian and she kept her last name

What Guys Said 3

• I'm from San Francisco and I only knew of one couple who changed their names upon marriage. And to them, it made sense -- he's was a prosecutor and his wife was an attorney for a big law firm and I got the feeling that there were some political aspirations in there. That said, I would expect gay couples to do the same modern thing of not changing their last names.

• That's a great question, I wondered the same thing. I guess they keep their last name or they change it to the last name of their partner.

• Gay/Lesbian couples always have a dominant/submissive relationship similar to men/women. One is the dominant (playing role of the man) while the other is submissive (playing role of the woman). You can sometime tell who takes this role. For example in Lesbian couples one of them tries to dress really masculine or as they say butch (this usually is the dominant one), while the other is feminine and dresses like a normal girl (this is the submissive one). So obviously the feminine one takes the butch one name.

• 13d

That's not necessarily true. Both my late wife and I are/were femme or as some call us lipstick lesbians and she took my last name.