What do you think is an appropriate amount to spend on an engagement ring? What is the average? How much are you willing to spend?

What Guys Said 12

• The "2 months" rule was a marketing scheme to rake in more money.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5kWu1ifBGU

Here is a longer version with more info on more U. S. marriage traditions.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5BeLinyfpg

If you still want to do it (or something similar), make sure you both agree on it, that you both see value on it that makes it worth the expense, and that you're both doing it because you really want it, and aren't just being toyed with like fools or forced into it by peer-pressure.

• i think it all depends on the person buying the ring and who they are buying it for.

buying a ring certainly shouldn't force a person to go broke or leave them financially strapped. you also have to consider who the person is receiving the ring and what their expectations are.

I personally spent about $6500 (i think, don't remember specifically). I'm sure i could've spent less and my wife would've been perfectly happy but based on my income and what i wanted to get her i felt comfortable spending what i did

• When I got engaged I first tried to find out how she felt about jewelry & how she felt about the size of jewelry.

Over time I found she didn't like to wear jewelry very much & if she did it was always small & talking to family members they actually recommended not going "all out" & getting something too big or fancy & rather get something small & simple.

I did & she loved it.

Not saying this is correct lol - but - I was willing to spend whatever to get the ring I thought would make her happy.

• It depends on the individual and also on getting the right ring. It's more important that the ring is right than expensive.

However, there are a few rules of thumb that you can use:

1) Spend between one and three month's salary on the engagement ring.
    2) Split the difference between one and three month's salary (e. g. if one month's salary is £1,000 and three month's salary is £3,000 then you spend £2,000).
    3) Spend the average cost of an engagement ring in your country. The average cost in the UK is around £600, just under.

In reality, you can only spend what you can afford at the time. There is no point spending so much on the ring that you can't afford to live or pay your bills.

• They say 2 months salary, but that depends on how much you make, have in the bank...

• Jewelers say about 2 months or so of a man's salary... but jewelers say a lot of things, don't they?

• according tomy budget

• 2 months salary

• I don't think it's something you can put a dollar amount on and they are ALL overpriced in my opinion. It doesn't show love, it's just a ring. Yes I know it's supposed to be a symbol of love but they sure milk you for that symbol don't they?

• There should be no limits in exploiting men, you are a woman and superior unlike the disgusting men they're swines.

• Depends how much she will spend on you. I told a few ex girlfriend's that engagement rings are a social contruct until I found my wife who didn't put unreasonable demands on me.

• They say 3 month pay but I couldn't see spending that much so I spent $17000

• 12d

$17,000 on an engagement ring? That is crazy!

• 11d

Wow, thats so sweet.

• 11d

Money is just numbers on a computer tell you spend on someone you love

What Girls Said 2

• Find something that is within your budget and is meaningful for you and the person you want to propose to, that's what I believe. It should not be expensive. And never hint at the person or tell them what to get you. Let them get you something that speaks from their heart.

• If you go over a grand, that's ridiculous to me. The fact that a piece of jewellery is so expensive just baffles me. I'd be fine with something that wasn't that pricey as long as it didn't turn my finger green.