Can a diamond be too big?

OK girls...I'm shopping for a ring. I want it to dazzle her, but can a diamond be too big? Is 1 carrot big enough? Too big? Help me out here please.

Most Helpful Girl

• It depends on the girl. For some girls, the bigger the better. Myself personally, I think there is a point where it's too big. I prefer something classic, simple, and a little more modest, because I'm not really a show-offy kind of girl.

• I was thinking of asking her best friend to go shop with me. Do you think that's a good idea?

• Thanks for that......I won't take your best friend shopping with me.

What Girls Said 7

• 1 carat diamond doesn’t seem too big for me...but if you're afraid the diamond'd look too big or ostentatious then choose an engagement ring setting that doesn't flaunt the diamond. What I mean is, consider a flush setting or a tension setting for your engagement rings, Flush and tension settings have clever designs that conceal the actual size of a diamond since these settings leave only a portion of the diamond (usually its table, or its top half) visible..

Here's a site I found where you can play around with the different size diamonds and settings and see what you think looks best.: zoara.com

but quite frankly I would have been happy to get a 1 carat diamond..:)

• i think a diamond can be too big

it also depends are the design around it too...id prefer a classy simple ring of quality rather than this huge diamond which calls for way too much attention anyways

it needs to be wearable in a word setting...

• A diamond can never be too big, as long as you can afford it. The bigger the better!

• a diamond is never too big

the bigger the better!

just look for the right style

good luck!

• style is more important than size. though a dismond is never too big.

• 1 ct is not too big. I is the minimum. I would say 1 to 2 ct is good, anything bigger than 2 is just tacky imo

• a diamond can never be too big

What Guys Said 1

• 1 carrot is fine. Something that can be easily seen.

Anything 4 carrots or more looks gaudy to me.

I would suggest that you get a quality diamond ring not just go for size. Look at it under a microscope. ( they will have one there) DO NOT use a jewelers loop that thing that you hold up to your eye.

Look at this link or look here link

I would try to stay away from a store at the mall. Honestly fly to Chicago "Jewelers Row" on Wabash ave. They money that you save & the quality of the ring you get will by far be a hugh savings over the cost of the plane ticket.

• Also a good quality diamond will have a number lasered on it so that it can be identified when you bring it in for cleaning or repairs. Both parties read the # & write that number down on the receipt.

When you pick up the ring you both look at it again to make sure there was no mix up.

• That's some good information. Thank you!

I can't wait to be married to her.

• Good luck to you both