Gay Marriage - For or Against?

Question is in the title. Please respond with a reason why you chose yes or no.

NO BASHING PLEASE.

I was thinking about it the other day because of how often it's in the news. I find it a extremely biased topic to be debated about. It's ridiculous.

I myself am a married straight woman with 3 kids. I do have friends that are gay and to be honest I think they should let gay men and women marry who they please. They have rights like any other and a viable argument for the government to NOT condone it IS NOT because it's against their religious views. (Separation of Church and State anyone?) In all honesty do you really care who someone else marries?!

Just trying to understand a more broader view of things other than my own. Thanks :)

• For (Yes) --Elaborate below
  • Against (No) --Elaborate below

Most Helpful Guy

• I voted for, for a few reasons:

1. is marriage really a sacred institution when we have reality shows like "Who wants to marry a millionaire?" and "Who wants to marry a midget?"

2. Why should gay people get to go without the misery the rest of us have to endure in marriage? LOL =P

• Lol - Let them be miserable and "stuck" like the rest of us, eh? :)

What Guys Said 6

• It really makes no sense that it is still illegal. Supposedly America is a place that allows for freedom of religion, yet somehow, religious discrimination is used to justify denying people their civil rights.

I don't care if you're religious, I don't care what holy books you read or what they say, and I don't care who you marry or what you do in your personal life, but for some reason the rest of the country must live up to your standards. If you don't like gay marriage than don't marry someone of the same sex. That doesn't mean you have the right to stop others from doing so.

Gay marriage will become legal eventually. Its like every other movement in American history for people to gain rights they deserve. There might be a lot of people against it at the moment, but over time people will change. Women had practically no rights 100 years ago, but now women's rights are generally accepted into our culture. In 100 years, or maybe less, gay marriage will be just as accepted.

• Well said. Thanks for your answer :)

• Nope it is what it is I can't expect them to change and I can't discriminate them because of something they can't change about themselves that would be unfair.. In my opinion it kinda almost falls in with racism.. not liking someone because of the color of their skin.. something they can't chnage..

• Very nice analogy. Thank you for your answer. I agree there is no point in harassing someone or causing harm to someone over something they cannot change.

• Well to me personally the term marriage implies the union between a man and a women. However that is not to say I don't think that gay people should not be allowed to be together. I just think there should be 2 different ceremonies. One for union of a man and women and another for the union of 2 men or 2 women.

• What would be the difference in the two separate vows? ie How would they be different from vows bestowed between the union of a man and a woman vs. a man and a man or a woman and a woman? Just curioius and thanks for your answer!

• I think they should be able to get maried. I mean, it's not like they CHOSE to be gay, so why should we ban them from wedding?

• God made Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve! The main reason we are on this earth is to survive and replicate. We can only reproduce with one male and one female.

• That's not the point at all. what about all the straight couples out there that never wanna have kids? do you think they shouldn't be allowed to marry either?

• =i do not like gays

What Girls Said 7

• I personally thing homosexuality is wrong, but that is my opinion. I believe anyone should have the right to do what they want (given it doesn't cause anyone else harm). I am a Christian, if someone thought that was stupid or wrong, I wouldn't want them changing laws so I couldn't legally hold my beliefs. So I think it is hypocritical to use laws to force people to have mine. If a gay/lesbian person wants to marry his/her partner, I think he/she should be able to do so.

• Thank you for your response :)

• Marriage is only sacred and meaningful if the people it's between make it that way. Marriage doesn't happen when you sign a paper, it happens in your mind when you and that person create a bond. Although I don't believe that people need a piece of paper to show how much they love each other etc; but if it means a lot to thousands of people, homosexual or heterosexual, let them marry.

(My opinion; no anger pl0x)

Also; why is it anyone's business who someone decides to f***, love, or marry?

I'm for it.

• Thanks for your answer! You're right you can show your love and support for someone without a piece of paper entitling marriage. :)

• I am for it. If two people are in love there is no reason they should not be allowed to be married. Heck, people who aren't in love get married all the time. The argument that it is against a person's religion is not enough to ban gay marriage. There is the first amendment and the lemon test. The government may not advance or inhibit a religion. Allowing gay marriage in no way infringes upon anyone's rights, while banning it certainly does.

• Thanks for your response! :)

• I really don't care if they get married, it doesn't have anything to do with me.

• Separation of church and state. Unfortunately many people misunderstand this concept. Its not to keep religion out of government but vice versa and this ruling has violated this...

• I am a christian and therefore believe marriage should be between a man and a women. I have nothing against gay people, I just don't agree with their decision.

• Thanks for your answer :)

• For the 100000th time...you can NOT CHOOSE who you love or feel physically attracted to. it's just the way somebody feels, and therefore it can NOT BE WRONG.

• I am strait forward but am not against gay marriage. If they love each other then they should have the right to marry each other.

• I agree, love has no bounds, no color, no age, and no height. You can't help what you want. :) Thanks for your answer!