Woman's last name after marriage?

I want to keep my own last name after marriage but most of my guy and girl friends say it's better for the woman to just change it. I think it's a silly and sexist tradition and have no intention of listening to them. The main argument I hear is that if a woman doesn't change her name after marriage it means she doesn't love the man. That's stupid cause most women these days do ad the divorce rate is still ridiculously high. Does that mean men are to blame for all the broken marriages, since most women change their last names and therefore really love them?

Another stupid reason I get is that it's easier on the kids cause they won't have to explain why their parents have different last names. This p*sses me off cause I hear it from many divorced people. I suppose a divorce is easier for a kid to deal with than two loving parents with different last names?

People are just so afraid of change.

Guys, what would you say if your gf/fiancee wanted her own name?

Also, the "I wouldn't let her keep it" response p*sses me off. I mean, it's HER choice. No should decide for her. People that give this response should make warning bells go off for women - *great* future husband here (sarcasm).

Most Helpful Guy

• It's her choice. Not mine. And it wouldn't affect my opinion one bit. Asking her to change anything about herself--including her name--to appease me is just wrong IMO. It's her choice and her choice entirely and I'd support it whole heartedly.

What Guys Said 5

• I wouldn't let her keep her last name.

• To me a chick who wants to keep her name is one of those independent I won't listen to a man type of woman, and so I would never have any intention on dating a chick like that.

• well I don't realy care but its not like its bad if you choose not to its okay shouldn't be a problem my wife says she want to because she wants people to know she is married to me and to me it shows another way of commitment and do you not ware a ring either?nah jk lol I don't care lol but check out this link to cheer you up from the infantry in iraq to home sweet home

• I would like her too but I mean if she REALLY wanted to keep her last name then I would let her keep it but then it brings up the debate of our kids having either my last name or her last name.

If you had a kid would you like the kid to have your last name or his last name?

• Sorry, I'm not letting women run wild. She takes my last name or I don't marry her. Only weak and femininized men would give up their power over women and let their wives walk all over them. A real man doesn't take sh*t like this from women.

• I would prefer she took my last name. I mean that's the ultimate sign of unity. I would be so honored to have a woman take my last name.

• Why couldn't you take her last name?

• Also, why do I have a feeling you drive a Subaru and have short hair?

• Why do I have a feeling you're a narrow-minded jerk? I have long brown hair, my favourite colour is pink, I'm in a sorority, I'm not bisexual or a lesbian, I love shopping and sadly can't afford a car because I'm still in college. I'm actually pretty girly. :)

However, I've taken the time to learn about the way our society works and I'm able to see everything you listed as what it is, which is a long list of silly traditions based on sexist assumptions.

What Girls Said 1

• When I asked my husband about it he said if I didn't have to change my name if I didn't want to. But he wasn't getting married if I didn't. He said he didn't see the point of going half way. I kinda agree with him. I want the same last name as my kids too