Why are people getting married so young?!!

Granted I am in the midwest but I feel like everyone is MARRIED. What is the RUSH people? I'm a 24 year old grad student and seriously there are practically NO guys (or girls for that matter) 24-30 that are unmarried/single. What gives!? I wouldn't consider myself OLD by any means but apparently the fact that I'm not married and not planning on getting married anytime soon makes me "weird"...wtf

Most Helpful Guy

• Haha. I am 27 and ALL of my close friends are married. I have 2 that really hate their lives now that they are married. 1 totally rushed it because his wife is in her 30's, and the other just doesn't like being tied down. I have two others who were just married last month and are still in "honeymoon phase" which I am expecting to go away soon. This is refreshing to hear, because it seems like everyone has interest in the wrong things for long term relationships. Who cares what you make, what you drive, and if you cause traffic-accidents with your looks. I want something solid, dependable, and unconditional. You aren't weird at all. Be proud of your independence and for not succumbing to everything around you. Finish school, get yourself a good job and everything will fall into place! I wish you the best of luck.

• Thanks, I really needed to hear that! :) I believe in what you say as well 95% of the time but when you're stuck in an environment where everyone is married it's hard not to feel like a complete outsider and to second guess where your life is going at times. best of luck to you as well

What Guys Said 5

• Not at all. I'm 26, and still not married. I think you are just basing your results on your surrounding area. Who knows where you'll end up after grad school.

• haha I guess they knew what they wanted and found the right person. But everyones different so no you're not weird.

• I refuse to get married until I graduate college and finish any additional schooling. That is the minimum, absolutely will not happen before then. However I plan to wait until after 30.

• They aren't very smart. They're in the honeymoon age for the first three months, ignore the bad signs, think it's always going to be sugar and lovebunnies and decide to tie the knot. It really does seem like a lot are in a rush. I'm 23 and marriage is nowhere on my radar at all.

• Hahaha, I kind of know what you are talking about. I think it is a mix of culture and aspirations (whether they aspire to have a family or to have a nobel prize). The midwest and south (and more rural areas in the east and west) seem to put a higher value on getting married ASAP. When I started grad school in the south, I taught a freshmen level intro class. Almost all the girls had rocks on their fingers. They were out of high school for three months and they were already engaged! I still can't figure out how the guys afforded the rings, maybe family heirlooms? I'm from the west coast, where marriage doesn't really seem to happen until people are in their mid to late 20's. The majority of my friends are not married and I am 30 now. Most of my married friends are the ones I grew up with that didn't continue their education, and none of them got married until they were in their mid to late 20s. You are in grad school, you WILL meet people who are not married. If you are in the sciences or engineering fields, you will meet a lot of unmarried people at conferences and while doing research. People who are required to spend the majority of their time on their work (usually science/math based) make their work a priority. Also "for girls, there is a 40 per cent drop (for the the likelihood of marriage) for each 16-point rise (in IQ), according to the survey by the universities of Aberdeen, Bristol, Edinburgh and Glasgow."- ABC News. Sorry, if you are smart, you just decreased your chance to get married. But look at it this way, at least you are smart! :)

In short, don't worry about it. It may be frustrating at first since you are the odd man (woman I guess) out, but you will meet other singles. And if you think about it, the younger people get married, the more likely they are to get a divorce. You will soon be at an age where everyone you know is divorced (aka single!).

• 40% drop for each 16 pt rise in IQ?? OMG that is depressing...i'm not surprised though. even guys that are my peers only want to date girls that are "dumber" (as they put it). *rolls eyes*

What Girls Said 3

• I graduated from high school in 2007, and the majority of people from my year are either married or engaged (a decent number of them have children too). I even know a girl who's in the process of getting divorced already. It's crazy. Now I have people asking me about relationships and saying that I'll be next...I don't want to be next! I'm too young for that. They all think it's time to start settling down, I think we haven't even started living yet. It's like they think that because the end of college is drawing near, the next phase of life is starting a family. For me, the next phase is starting a career; if I can't support myself, family isn't happening.

• I'm 29 and most of my friends are married, but I'm SO glad I'm not!

They spend all day chasing around annoying little kids and they are gonna spend the REST of their ENTIRE lives with the same person? You gotta be kidding me haha.

Good for you for avoiding the sheeple mentality.

• People think that getting married is going to make their life better or complete, and when it doesn't they get divorced (divorce is at 50% right now).

You are not weird, your waiting for the right time *thumbs up*