Is he trying to propose to me?

I've been with my boyfriend for about 9 months now. We love each other very much and have discussed our commitment to one another a few times. Recently he keeps mentioning and bringing up marriage and proposals and things; it seems to be on his mind

Then last night he told me that he feels like its 'more a matter of when than if', and that he'd imagined telling friends that he was engaged

I wasn't sure what to say... if he asked me to marry him I would say yes, though it seems quite early still to me, and I'd like us to live together for a while first. But if we both think its just a question of when, isn't that basically what engagement is? What does he want me to do or say? Is he planning to propose or is he just 'testing the water'?

Most Helpful Girl

• after a few months my boyfriend said "whenever you want to get married, just let me know" which meant... I mean I was like "ok, whatever I"ll pretend I didn't hear that" and then one night he asked "do you want to marry me" and I was like "huh? and I was like do you want to marry me?" and he was like "yes" right away... anyways... hmmm... it must be seriious... ask him "are you really proposing?" next time he talks a lot about marriage... that's what I did... and he said... "yes, so what is your answer?" and I said yes ofcourse... =)

What Guys Said 2

• sounds like he's trying to get your opinion on you two getting married. Just remember that you don't have to get married straight after engagment, its normal to wait at least a year or two, and 3 or 4 years is not that uncommon. I strongly suggest living together first, because being around someone 24/7 can put a lot of strain on a relationship, and if its to much, its better to find out sooner rather than later.

Good luck!

• testing the water a bit ?

but if he keeps on talking about marriage, and if you agree ... then ... he'll ask for your hand

What Girls Said 1

• i would say all proposals should wait at least a year because you can learn a lot about a person in a year. when I got together with my boyfriend we just felt that connection and always talked about I can see my whole life being with each other. well we have been together a year and he proposed just before my 20th b-day and I know him a lot better now than I did at lets say our 9 month point. just some advice hope it helps :)