Getting engaged, should I talk to her dad or not?

So I’ve been having this debate if I should talk to my Girlfriend’s dad or not before I ask her to marry me, we have been together for a few years, and have been living together for a while. They are not a real traditional family, but are close. I wouldn’t ask him because I don’t care what he says I’m asking her no matter what (he is a joker he probably would say no just to be funny), and come on this is the modern days who asks anymore, but should I talk to him? My dad said he wouldn’t care, and didn’t when my sister got engaged.

Just looking for opinions

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it be sweet if he did ask my dad.

It just shows that he respects me and my family. Like you said it's the modern days but asking shows you do care about his opinion and that you want to involve his family and connect with the dad.

It's just like the difference b/w a guy who would pull your chair out for you and the guy who wouldn't because it's too 'old-fashioned'

What Girls Said 2

• I'd respect a dude more for having the cajones to ask my dad, but that's just me.

Your girlfriend is the only one who matters. If you don't care and she likely wouldn't, why bother?

But if part of you feels like it would make her happy to know her father gave his approval, ask.

• Yes. It shows you respect her family and involves them in the process, and keep the relationship/communication open. If you know her dad, then talk to him. It will go a long way in him respecting you, too.

What Guys Said 2

• Do it, it's classy. It's good to set yourself apart from other guys, and he's not going to say no if you make her happy.

• Depends on how you feel about it, if you feel you should chat with them then do it otherwise why bother...