She is keeping her own last name? Men, how would you feel?

...If your girlfriend whom you just proposed to and are completely in love and obsessed with told you she is keeping her own last name and not taking yours?

...would you consider taking her name to be husband and wife and be 'the same'?

Both people have regular, non offensive last name

but both probably want to 'continue the legacy' of their name

Most Helpful Guy

• Depends on the guy.

And after that, it depends on what her last name is.

What Guys Said 6

• Can't lie, I'd feel some type of way about that, it's just what I'm use to hearing and seeing. You know with tradition and blah blah blah. Out of my generation there are only two males who will be carrying our family name, my cousin had a son a year ago so that's one more, but besides that everyone is is a woman. I assume you're one that would want to keep her name and there's nothing wrong with that, hopefully you find a guy that won't care; I can't say that most do or don't. So if you had kids would you split last names between them?

• if it came down to her not wanting to change her last name to mine I would not have married her even with as much as I loved her. It would have showed she didn't love me enough. Of course she had already changed it from her dad's name to her step dad's name so Yes I would have been upset. It is tradition and a woman should take the mans name.

• It's was also tradition for a woman to stay home and birth a ton of children. Things change.

• What is this 'step-dad' sh*t? who said anything about a step-dad? Well you best hope you don't love a woman who loves her last name. There's no way in hell I'd take his name, I am very attached to my last name and it has been my strong family name for 20 years and a reflection of my family's history and because I am the only child it's my only chance to carry on my name. If he's one of 3 sons than taking his name would just be ridiculous!

• I put in my original post above that my WIFE had changed her original last name to her step dad's last name. that is why I would have had such a problem if she had not changed it.

• Honestly I don't know, it seems weird if she wouldn't. I don't think I would end the marriage but I would be a bit uncomfortable with it. It would feel like we would be legally bonded room mates rather than husband and wife

• Would you take her surname?

• Tradition needs to evolve with the times otherwise they will just be outdated.

I get what you mean, and good point about not having it if my mother didn't do it.

But I am not my mother, and times have changed.

• Well you can do what ever you like, I do think it's stupid for true love to end over such an issue (either that he won't marry you because you won't take his name or you won't marry him) have to say though in my opinion time seems to be like a mary-go-round, every 40 or so years we have a movement of free love and independence (20's, 60's) but they tend to be short lived, I think we're entering one but in about 15 years or so a lot of people will go back to more traditional things,

• I would want her to take my last name unless she has a really cool last name..than I might consider taking hers

• I would consider taking her name. But i could live with us having different last names aswell. Not really a problem for me

• She could just hyphenate it. "Smith-Bond" etc. If she didn't want my name AT ALL then I wouldn't marry her.

• You wouldn't change yours to hers? remember she is the love of your life and you couldn't imagine spending your life with any1 else

• So I take it you aren't marrying him then?

• He hasn't proposed yet, we discuss it and he said it's his dream to, when everything is right. We haven't discussed the name thing

What Girls Said 4

• I would probably take his last name...unless it was something straight from 'The Wedding Singer' Julia Gulia.<now that's something I wouldn't be cool with.

• I would want his last name.. I don't know maybe because I want his last name and not mine.. Lol

• I asked my husband, he said no need to get married if she dose not want to take his name. I took my husbands name happily by the way, I wouldn't want our kids with two last names

• that doesn't seem like a big deal at all