Marriage and separate bank accounts?

It's becoming more and more popular these days for married couples to keep their money separate in different bank accounts. For the people who aren't married, which would you prefer when/if you are married? Would you prefer joint accounts, or to keep your money separate? Why and why not?

For those of you who are married, how do you handle your money as a couple? In separate accounts or a joint account. Why and why not?

Most Helpful Girl

• In my opinion marriage as a cooperative thing. It's no longer about both of you individually, but together as a team. When I think about making big monetary decisions such as "should we buy a house?" or "what kind of car do we need?" it makes more sense to think of it in terms of how much money /we/ have instead of how much each can contribute.

So, a single bank account would be good in my opinion.

What Guys Said 4

• i would keep them separate if I make it threw all the way through the Md program and am still single

• I would definitely keep it seperate, and then whoever has the higher financial resources would be the one to finance things. That way the two people still preserve their responsibility over the quantity of cash in their accounts.

• Keep it seperate, and if need be, open up a new joint account.

• I'd do separate because you never know who's marrying you for your money

What Girls Said 1

• i would prefer to keep them separate because the if something does happen such as a divorce, then you have the money for it.

• When you go through a divorce, whatever money you have, even if it's an account in your name, when you were married is considered community property and will be split in court.