Do you believe in marriage? GUYS especially.

WHY or WHY NOT?

Leave a comment!

• Yes - for religious reasons.
  • Yes - for other reasons.
  • No.
  • I have no idea. I am an idiot, and don't know how I feel about anything.

Most Helpful Guy

• I love the last option, LOL.

I believe in marraige, 'cos like. At the minute, everyone worries about divorce, and the financial difficults and stuff. So to say so to someone, y'know. I don't give a sh*t about all that, I wanna take that risk with you. And be commited to that. That's big.

To me, marraige means more now than ever.

• Lol I nvr thought about it that way

• I would actually disagree about the idea that marriage now means more than ever. Most people don't think of marrying someone as "risking divorce." I would say that people (for the most part) initially take the commitment as seriously as always. While maintaining and working on the marriage has really gone down hill. People don't take marriages as seriously anymore due to the fact that they can change their mind about their vows.

What Guys Said 14

• I've been in love and there is nothing like it. If I ever find a girl that I'll fall for the way I fell for my first love, I'll do everything in my power to spend my whole life with her. I don't think that marriage itself is that important. Marriage is nothing more than a contract. But I believe that it's essential to find a person you love and be prepared to spend your life with this person, help each other out and raise children in a loving environment.

• No. Getting married is a great way of losing half your stuff.

• In the traditional sense of "two people making a lifelong commitment to one another", yes, I believe in it. I think it showcases some of the best in humanity: loyalty, selflessness, perseverance, etc.

In the current social conditions marriage is pretty much a 50/50 gamble, so it's more "two people making a 3-15 year commitment to one another, then blowing it up because either one person was an idiot, or the both of them couldn't handle being grown ups to one another"

I voted "yes for other reasons". Even though my views on marriage stemmed from religion, I don't believe in using the argument "because Jesus said so", it's a cop out and leads to wrong thinking. If you can't explain your views and ethics, then you aren't thinking hard enough about them!

• Yes for family reasons. For people who do not have or want kids, then it's not as big of deal. I technically believe in genetic monogamy, which basically means you could in theory have an open relationship, but you only have kids with one person. I do believe in the traditional family of two parents raising their own kids. This is obviously the ideal situation, the basic structure of the family is what's important, therefore adopted kids, kids from previous relationships, and gay parents are all OK.

When branching out from this structure, you have two situations: Single parent, and polygamy. Single parents can still raise happy functioning children, but it's harder to maintain stability and required attention given to them. Two parents will be able to provide a contrast, to the one parent as well as the extra stability.

Polygamy is an interesting situation. In the case where person A has kids from three different people who each have kids with 3 different people etc. The only way for any structure to exist would be a foster situation in which case all importance of keeping biological families together would get thrown out.

The only way to maintain a biological family structure, would be a system with one person having a harem (this actually works in both the situation of a man having multiple wives, and a woman having multiple husbands). This usually creates references to cult farms. This will create a stable living environment, keep up a reasonable family structure, and in theory if done right attention could be evenly divided between kids. The problems arise when group dynamics are put into place. Specifically members of the harem fighting with each other or with the lone second parent about being treated equally. Favoritism and infighting happens in the traditional nuclear family, it'd be much worse in this situation. (Stereotypical cult situations work simply because the harem is submissive to the lone parent).

I am in favor of a marriage between two people for the purposes of starting a family. If you do not plan on starting a family then it makes no difference whether or not you settle down with one person or spend your life making booty calls. In that situation you're not harming anyone, as soon as you bring children in the picture, they become your primary concern.

• Say there is a couple who want to be monogamous but not have kids. Are you saying that you feel there is no difference if they are married or not? Would you marry the love of your life, even if neither of you wanted kids? Why or why not?

• The value placed on marriage is relative person to person. I was talking more as a standard. Marriage is a symbol of your love and commitment to them. However I don't think that living common law for instance would theoretically be any different. To answer your direct question about me personally. Yes I probably would, but I'm a traditionalist. I don't see it as something that you have to do because you love someone, but I don't say avoid it either.

• If you're prepared, marriage has a lot of benefits, socially, financially, longevity, physically, emotionally, spiritually, healthfully, and educationally

• Where I live, the incomes of both spouses are added in your fiscal declaration. That way married couples are in higher tax brackets than unmarried couples. The government promised to change it, changed it with a lot of publicity but a few years later got back to the old system without any publicity.

If it weren't for my parents in law we'd never got married.

• OF course! And not for religious reasons.. Marriage is a "social contruct" Unfortuantely some readical feminists and guys who want to players think that this means that the best state of things I every sleeping around, having abortions whenever someone get knocked up and everyone dieing in their childless, partnerless states. It is a social cosntruct...but so what? It's a darn good one! It makes for happy, well rounded children, happy people, and healthy socities (not saying you can't be happy if you are single...but many people get great satuisfaction out of raisinig a kid with someone they love). A lot of people want to drag it through the mud but that's too bad...they're missing out.

• Well there are rearranged marriages and then their are marriages by freedom. People marry for many reasons, including one or more of the following: legal, social, emotional, economical, spiritual, and religious.

Don't mix marriage with ceremony, they are two different things. I believe that marriage is a Union of two things and that is all. Adam and Eve were together without any ceremonies, in fact it was pretty much arranged also. People don't realize that the contracts and celebrations are just for documentations and proof and nothing else. many countries have cultures allowing a male to have more than one wife (polygyny) or, less commonly, a female to have more than one husband (polyandry). Some societies also allow marriage between two males or two females. They are all considered religious.

• love is my reson to marry

• personally, I see it as a religious thing.

the union of a man and a women

i really do look forward to having a wife and kids and all that when I have more years under me

but if two doods or two chicks get together

its fine. =/

its not hurting me or pushing it down my throat.

but if it was, that would be a different story.

• I have been with the same girl for almost 6 years and I do not ever think about marriage, I do not see the point my self. spend all that money on what a paper that says your now married then everything gets more hard and you get a divorce and lose half of all your stuff either way not for me maybe cause I come from parents who have bpth been divorced 2 times. that's my input my girlfriend is differnt though maybe that's why were on the rocks lol

• Why deprive your girlfriend and ignore the good things bou' marriage because uv seen your parents' marriages fall apart?!

• I'm agnostic. I don't NEED religion. A man without religion is like a fish without a bicycle.

anyhow I've been married since 1999 and it's not always a bowl of cherries. But I find it important.

• other reasons because you would date the girl forever and have sex , go out on vacationss , etc . but for like going to church noooo

• Basic social science. Marriage is the best mechanism to nurture young children and enable them to be a good part of the society and contribute back to the society. If marriage fails, society will eventually fail as well.

What Girls Said 6

• I believe in marriage for a few reasons. First off I'm a completely hopeless romantic. I love the idea of finding that one person you want to spend the rest of your life with(I'm not for people getting married and then when things get 'too difficult' getting a divorce - grow up for god's sake) and standing up in front of family and friends and legally joining each other and confirming that love for everyone you know and care about to witness. Yes you can be completely committed to another person but being legally bound together takes it all to a whole other level.

Secondly, for legal reasons. Both men and women have more security when they are married. For example, if the couple have children but aren't married the father actually has less rights to his child than if they were married. It's stupid and I think the law should be changed but it's a fact of life. I would never want either partner to be pushed out of something because of it.

Finally, I believe in marriage because of the amazing couples around me. My parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles and friends have showed me how amazing it is to be completely in a partnership with the other person. I've seen people put off getting married for years because they did have an amazing committed relationship and I've seen them become a stronger couple when they were legally man and wife.

I can only wish to have something similar to these people.

• eh seems like a good way to lose 50% of your wealth ... sex, intimacy and love have become to casual in our culture, and yet the economic consequences of a family or divorce are VERY real

• yes because its a sign of committment and devotion (kind sound scary huh) lol but when guys do not believe it...it cause most of them rather stay single and play the field...for example, have you seen that movie "He's just not that into you"? okay well if youve seen it, did you notice jennifer aniston and Ben affleck as a couple and did you remember that Ben affleck did not believe in marriage and he really meant it but he was still very devoted to jen...He's the exception!...so I would not take my chances with a guy who does not believe in marriage, just saying...so that's why I believe in it...i do not want to be taken advantage of.

• I still believe in marriage and happily ever afters and all of that. I still believe that it can happen to anyone. It's what keeps me going every day.

• i really want to get married and have children. I'm an atheist so its not a religious issue for me. but I do believe in committing myself to one person and loving them and wanting to be with them for life. some people see that as a nightmare, which is fair enough. but to me its a dream. its my way of saying to my partner, I love you completely, I'm yours, be mine, lets live our lives together as companions and give each other that love and loyalty.

• I chose the last one because I haven't made up my mind about it. I've been thinking about writing an article on it.

• Marriage is for making babies... Shouldn't be based on religious beliefs... Maybe love... But not religion...