Is it too soon to get married?

I'm 17, and I got engaged to a 22 year old guy yesterday. We've been dating for 2 weeks. I know it sounds stupid, but I really do like him, he's an amazing guy.

I need someone to tell me what to do?!? I'm freaking out

Most Helpful Guy

• Umm... No offense but this is one of the exact reasons why the divorce rate is so high nowadays. You've been dating him two weeks and you already think you are going to spend the rest of your life with this guy? And this quote from your question is quite confusing to me "I know it sounds stupid, but I really do like him, he's an amazing guy." I'm not sure if you implied love him instead of like him, but if you didn't you should remember marriage is meant to be "everlasting love for better or for worse".

I'm 17 as well and I don't see myself getting married for quite awhile. Maybe it's just me but getting engaged before you're even considered a legal adult sounds a little irresponsible. That's not even taking into consideration that you've only been dating for 2 weeks. 2 weeks in my opinion is not near close enough to truly get to know someone no matter how "close" you say you are.

That's just my 2 cents hope it helps you make your decision.Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

What Guys Said 3

• You have every right to freak out. Two weeks? I've been in several casual relationships and they don't take two weeks to fizzle out. They take at least a month or two before we realize it ain't working. You probably have no idea what this guy is really like... the fact he is asking you to marry him so soon shows desperation, or perhaps he is reaping an opportunity for his own benefit and could care less how you feel. He is 22. He is a man. Heck, I'm 20 and I know just how shady that is.

Wait out a few more months, that's the best thing you can do.

• You should probably date this guy for longer before you decide on such a serious commitment. You two barely know each other, but you are planning to get married? That can't end well. What happens if sometime in the future, you learn more about him and find out that you don't really fit well with him? Marriage doesn't force feelings of love and cohesiveness into people, it binds people who are already (or should be) a very good fit with each other. A young, quick marriage has disaster written all over it. You should reconsider and take things a little slower.

• DON'T DO IT. You only dated this guy 2 weeks. Maybe he's amazing and I hope he is, but its way too soon. WAY TO SOON. If he's amazing he won't have a problem waiting and giving you time to make sure its what you really want. You have to remember, A LOT comes with marriage, and if it doesn't work out it takes A LOT more to undo it. Slow down girl, your only 17 you have a whole life ahead of you, take your time and feel things out. Good luck.

• Thanks for being so nice :)

What Girls Said 1

• Stop being ridiculous.