Should polygamy be legal?

In Canada, the province of British Columbia is currently deciding whether to legalize polygamy.

No Western country has legalized polygamy as of yet.

• Yes, assuming it goes both ways.
  • No, it makes marriage meaningless.

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't see why a government should have the right to tell you who or how many other persons you can commit yourself to. It's not the place of the government to impose entirely arbitrary values on its citizens. As long as all participants are willing and of consenting age, I don't see how polygamy or any other non-standard form of marriage is hurting anyone.

• "As long as all participants are willing and of consenting age, " I would argue that those are ALSO arbitrary values placed on citizens by the government. Why do you say they aren't then?

• Well, willingness is rather obvious. What the government defines as consenting age isn't (or need not be) entirely arbitrary. The brain has several developmental stages, which effect a persons ability to make independent rational decisions. A child's mind clearly works differently than that of an adolescent, and both are generally far more susceptible to manipulation than that of an adult.

• As far as the incest thing goes, one could argue that that relationship imposes too much risk of birth defect on any child the couple might have. But other than that - no matter how morally reprehensible it might be to most people - it does not harm anyone, so why should it be the government's job to stop it?

What Girls Said 5

• I can't vote because I haven't been able to form a solid opinion. I can see many pros on cons on each side that are too long to list.

For it to not cause problems I think there would have to be a special kind of legal marriage created solely for polygamists. I don't think anyone should go to jail for choosing to live that way now if everyone involved is living how they want and not something that someone else chose for them.

(and for the incest comment someone made, that is illegal for the good of the human race that's how it became a social taboo, inbreeding causes defects in humans and weakens the entire race, plus its often not mutually consensual.)

• Sure, why not.

• no it shouldn't its not right and shoud be band.

• Care to elaborate? Try to take your emotions out of the equation.

• it is wrong in so many ways and no one should be in a polyandry or polygamy relationship, you should be with one person not many, you can only ever love one person yeah you can love one person but love another more but it still not right. x

• Maybe you're just selfish? LOL, why can't a man for example love three women and love them equally and have kids with them? Be a better provider, father and husband than the many deadbeats who are in a monogamous relationship?

• no, marriage is supposed to symbolise the joining of A man and A woman, not many men/women

• what the hell does both ways mean? like women can marry more than one man and men can marry more than one woman?

• Yes, so it's not sexist.

• yeah then sure why not, I mean, personally, I think it's a little weird for my taste but who am I to say what's okay and what's not okay?

What Guys Said 6

• Anyone that supports gay marriage, but doesn't support polygamy or consensual incest is a hypocrite. Plain and simple.

• i don't think that makes them a hypocrite, it might make them wrong, but that's different.

• A hypocrite is someone who says one thing and does another, so someone who says things like "people should be able to marry who they want" but then refuses to support that belief outside of their narrow viewpoints is acting hypocritically.

• Separation of church and state. Let freedom ring!

• lol yeah...legalize it...

legalize polygamy,legalize marijuana,legalize cocaine...legalize everything

• yes it should its fun CANADA FTW

• why not, I don't guv a fuc*

• I was going to ask this a while back but forgot.

I believe it should be legalized. There are too many pros and very few cons to this argument.

Abraham had 3 Wives - Sarah, Hagar and Keturah ANd that's in the king james bible.

And no I don't think it should go both ways... there are too many cons to that one which would negate the pros.

The pros and cons I speak of are evolutionary benefits for both the man and the woman.