Would you prefer fake or real?

Would you select a fake or real diamond for an engagement ring if you had the option? What would you rather receive taking into account cost efficiency, larger stone, blood diamonds etc...

Most Helpful Girl

• The reason we use diamonds as engagement rings is because of a clever marketing campaign by DeBeers.

Diamonds aren't forever. They can be shattered, chipped, discolored, or incinerated to ash.

Also, diamonds aren't that rare. When diamond production from mines gets too high, they either hold back diamonds from being sold, or sell them and then buy them back wholesale, to create an illusion of scarcity which keeps the price of diamonds high (if diamonds are abundant, they aren't worth as much).

Essentially, the idea that diamonds are valuable is a clever illusion.

And, as you've mentioned, the whole blood diamond thing.

So yeah, I'm not really interested in a real diamond.

What Guys Said 1

• Screw fake. I'd go with real. And I'd go for quality stone over size.

What Girls Said 6

• Welp. Guys love real girls, and Girls Love... Real Diamonds : ) You can find a pretty decent priced diamond ring.. But when you start really looking into the clarity of the diamond, that's where the price goes skyrocketting. I would rather have a real diamond, but the size and clarity of it wouldn't be so much a factor. Good thing about real diamonds, they really do last a lifetime, and that's something that could be passed down.

• Real. If you're gonna buy fake then don't bother buying it at all.

• Real always

• my engagement ring was a fake diamond ring that cost about $100 and it was a yellowish color but I really didn't want a ring in the first place. It is just an object thing to let people know you are engaged, but then you can just tell them you are anyways. My actual ring was chosen by both me and my husband and it is a real diamond ring. I didn't want to spend so much money on it but my husband wanted me to have the best ring to signify how much he loved me and how much I was worth to him. So he bought me a really nice expensive wedding band with princess cut diamonds all around the ring, and it's really sparkly. I would say it isn't that it's diamond, but it's that he wants to let everyone know how much he truly loves me and it's about the thought behind the ring that counts. Besides, a ring is just a ring unless there is something behind it, a meaningful reason why you wear it. I can be worth any amount, or be any kind of ring as long as it is worth something to you or mean something to you. I also wear a ring on my ring finger on my right hand. It has my birthstone on it and I bought it in South East Asia where I was born and it is lovely to me although it may not mean anything to anyone else. See what I mean? But yeah, I'm sure everyone has their own reason for whatever they like. Everyone's different.

• i don't want a real diamond b.c of blood diamonds but I don't want a fake one either. I want another stone maybe an emerald or something

• Emerald mining in Columbia has a very violent and cruel history... so think again.

• why would you want a fake one on your fingers? that's stupid