Is it wrong to not want to get married?

In my Human Growth and Development class, we're studying about people, and relationships and marriage. I'm about 2 years older than the rest of my class cause I waited a year to go to college but anyway my teacher had us go around the room and say five goals we want to have accomplish in the next 5 years and everyone but me and 3 other people said they wanted to be married and starting a family. It was weird to here people younger than me, even the guys, saying they want to be married so soon. For me, I don't its just not in the cards. It would be nice yes and maybe if I were to find "the one" I would change my answer. But when I said I really didn't plan on getting married, it just made the entire discussion awkward. Is it really that bad to not want marriage and children?

Most Helpful Girl

• Nope, I don't think its wrong at all. If that's what you prefer and what you are comfortable with, screw everyone else. You shouldn't feel horrible about what people think just cause you're preferences are outside the norm.

I'm not saying I don't want to get married, but in all honesty, I don't think I'll throw a fit if I didn't end up with anyone.

What Guys Said 2

• no its not wrong but to put things into perspective what do you think you will be doing in ten years? will you till just be going and having fun with friends? what about when you get home, won't you feel lonely? when your in your fifties how will you occupy yourself? who will still be your close friends? family serves as a great way to provide yourself with friends and company for the rest of your life

• Your saying you want to be alone for the rest of your life?

What Girls Said 2

• Not wrong at all, I don't plan on getting married either. I don't want to get married for several reasons, same with not having children. I have a different love though, one that I plan on spending all my time with and that most people don't understand, horses. no reason things should get awkward, if anything, you'll proably be one of the few that end up in a happy and lasting marriage because you're not trying to rush into it.

• Nope, it's not wrong. I don't want to get married. If a guy proposed I would get married, but it would be a very small, not traditional wedding. It's not something I plan on doing for the future.