If I propose to my girlfriend without a ring, do you think she would be mad?

Right now I'm pretty broke and don't have a lot of cash... But I know me and my girlfriend are madly in love with each other and she's always sending me messages saying how she can't wait to get engaged to me... So should I or could I propose to her with out a ring or should I sell my motorcycle or something to be able to afford one?

Most Helpful Girl

• Here's my first response to this: why do you want to propose to her? Because she wants you to? Because you're just madly in love? Obviously you don't have a whole lot of detail here and I could just be making assumptions, but I guess the idea I'm getting is that it might be kinda pointless.

Don't be getting engaged unless you can be married. Notice I said BE married. Anyone can GET married - that's the fun & easy part. But forever's a hell of a long time and it's usually full of all kinda of crap, the likes of which you'll only get through if you make the right decision with who you're marrying and when/why.

Having said all of that, I'd never accept a proposal from a guy without a ring. That may well sound shallow. But essentially, if we know each other well enough to get married, then he should know me well enough to at least have some kind of idea of what kind of ring I'd like, what size my finger might be, and he should definitely have enough money for one. Not a hugely expensive one, that's not the point. But how are you going to pay for the wedding, honeymoon, house, kids etc if you can't even buy the ring?

There's also the idea that you might just be doing it on impulse if it's a cheap/non-existent ring. if you've bought something expensive, you've probably spent some time thinking about it (unless you're filthy rich, that's separate) whereas if it cost a tenner, maybe you just bought it on your way home from work today and figured it might be fun.

I know other girls will disagree with me, and that's fine, but that's the way I see it. Like selfishstars said - it depends on the girl. Essentially, if you propose without a ring, you risk disappointing her or not being taken seriously. But she may well have no problem with it, like the others said. It shouldn't be about money, and if she's demanding massive diamonds or no wedding, then you might wanna go for the second option there. But consider what I've said in making your decision =]

What Girls Said 6

• It personally depends on the girl.

For me personally, my boyfriend did propose to me without a ring and it didn't bother me at all that he didn't have one. I already know he's serious about wanting to marry me, a ring doesn't change that. It doesn't mean that he's more serious than if he didn't have one. If he sold something that he really loved to buy me an overpriced ring, I'd probably be upset with him for doing that.

I wouldn't mind having a ring for symbolic reasons, but it's not necessary to me. And I don't want him to spend a lot of money to buy me a diamond (diamonds aren't actually valuable. They aren't "forever" as the ads suggest, and the only reason we use them for engagement rings is because of a clever ad campaign by DeBeers. Diamonds aren't very rare either, but diamond companies have ways to make it seem like they're rare in order to keep them scarce and thus keep the price high. Not to mention the issues with blood diamonds).

• Most girls would be very upset if you sold something you loved just to get a ring. Yes rings symbolize eternal love, but girls don't want you to sacrifice something you love just for them. If possible, get another job and save up for a ring.

Also, talk to her. Tell her that you want to ask her to marry you, but you want to wait until you can afford a ring. She loves you; she will wait forever for you. :)

Then once you have the money for the ring, you can give her the romantic surprise of her life. :)

Good luck!

• I would be happy with just a proposal! :D

• I think you can totally propose without a ring… I think it’s the sentiment that counts, and you’ll get her a ring when you can…I think she’ll be happy you proposed even if she doesn’t get a ring…

• its a tough one but I'd be head over heels for any guy who'd sell their bike just to get me a ring

• hmm, my guy proposed to me without a ring and I said yes anyways. Hmm, then after a few months he bought me a really cheap fake diamond ring for a bit (it was $100). Then after that we went shopping for a wedding band and the wedding band cost a lot of money and was 100% real diamonds from a certified diamond shop. Well, I don't think it would be a problem without a real diamond because if you search on this site some girls don't think having a real diamond is that great of a deal anyways. Depends on YOUR girl though, so you should know yourself and just ask if you're really worried. anyways... early congrats!

• Isn't a fake ring kind of a waste since that's 100 dollars that could have been used on the real thing?

• Yeah I know it's the thought. I'm just saying because engagement rings are so much money is a factor you have to keep in mind even though you really don't want to. Did you stick with the fake one then? I was thinking you ended up with a real diamond later on(not counting the wedding band). That's why I said that.

• no he never bought me a real engagement ring. I am just wearing the wedding band. I put the fake one away some where, and will keep it but it looks yellow and not that pretty so I won't be wearing it.

What Guys Said 4

• Dude, I really want to help you out through something easier but here is the hard line:

Every girl fantacises her proposal in her dreams from 6 years of age. It is their ultimate fairytale. PLEASE don't take 1% risk on this lady, you cannot change your proposal after it happens. Sell anything, YOU LOVE HER. You cannot wait, just get a new part time job, or sell the bike, get her a beautiful ring, it will be on her finger the day you leave this world.

Rings are of GREAT importance. They symbolise your love as a couple. It does NOT have to be diamond for sure. It can be her birthstone, or favorite gem as well (If it is not diamonds).

Having said that, if she truly loves you, she will not care of what you are worth, because you mean the world to her. But being a good future husband it is one of the things you CANNOT risk on, this is your future wife.

Watch spider man three with her and propose in the end :P

Best wishes and congratulations by the way. Treat her well and give her endless of love. Good luck!

=D

• get a ring box and put a ring pop in it, ( its candy) ask her to marry you and tell her that when you can afford a better one you'll giver her one.

• Wait until you can afford one. It means you will be stable and able to support her soon. Stay classy San Diego.

• No. Some guys do that actually so girls can pick out the ring. Not the same situation but still the same kind of proposing.