30 year old man dumped when proposing... lasting effects?

So I'm asking about someone I know who's a 30 year old man who was dumped by his girlfriend of 3 years when he was ready to propose to her. He bought the ring and everything. She leaves him to "find herself."

What kind of emotional effects would this do to a man? You can break it up in to either part... If you're 30 and single, how would you feel? If you were dumped before proposing, how would you feel?

Would you be scarred for life? Men, what are your opinions? Anyone been in a similar situation?

And what does "finding yourself" mean anyway!?

Most Helpful Guy

• Hasn't happened to me yet.

I purchased tickets to a military ball only to have her go with some other guy instead. She stayed with him but he treated her like crap.

I have cooked a romantic dinner for my girlfriend (ex now) only to have her cancel at the last minute to watch movies over a "friend's" house in her pjs. A few days later I catch her riding the same "friend's" jock at a party and I break up with her. She turns around and dates said "friend". I didn't stay in touch but I'm guessing she caught something from this guy. ;)

I took my girlfriend (ex now) on a romantic trip to Florida and a cruise to the Bahamas. She broke up with me as soon as the ship turned around for the U.S.. She ended up going back to her ex, having two kids and moving to New Orleans just in time for Katrina.

Karma is not something you play around with.

What Guys Said 2

• Well it seem as if they we're not at all on the same page or even the same book. She wants out while he is taking of the next step. I think he will take this pretty bad and this is one fear he is going to carry on for the rest of his life

• Well it makes it harder as he obviously felt serious about her enough to pop the big one! But is it any worse than being dumped becasue your ex cheated? I'm not sure. I think its worse to be betrayed than falling out of love even though both hurt. She's probably ruined any hope of ever getting back together though as that is a serious dent on a mans pride!

What Girls Said 2

• I just broke up with my fiance, he's 28 and I'm only 19...long story, but mine was kinda for the same reasons I really do need to figure out who I am and what I want in life before I settled down and got married, (find myself) I knew id eventually regret it and it would hurt him worse 5 years down the road, so really it was best for both of us. he still is taking it pretty hard and is convinced that he can't live without me, but I think eventually he will move on and forget me.

• was she younger than him?

• No, they are both around 30 or late 20s at the time... so a time in your life when you should have a feeling about who you are and not need to find yourself. I believe it was just an excuse but I don't know specifics. I'm 25 and finally just figuring things out so I can understand the need to do this before getting into a relationship. Sorry for what happened to you but you made the right decision... 19, wow girl, you need lots of time before marriage!

• I know! I feel horrible cause he's a wonderful guy but I really need to learn how to be an adult myself before that! and late 20s or 30s would be a good time to know what you want in life for sure!