Am a bad person if I oppose gay marriage?

I feel like I am the only one who is not in favor of that and one who has a traditional view on marriage.

How could this state allow such a thing link

Most Helpful Girl

• Everyone deserves the chance to be happy even if they're gay. If being married will make them happy why should people deny them that right? In the Declaration of Independence it says, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." It took this country long enough to realize that that applied to the poor as well as the rich, women as well as men, and blacks as well as whites. Why shouldn't it apply to homosexuals as well as heterosexuals?

You're entitled to your opinion but to me people who oppose gay marriage aren't any different from people who thought that women and blacks shouldn't be able to vote. Keep in mind that at the time when those were heavily debated topics people made very arguments as to why people shouldn't be allowed to vote. Once upon a time interracial marriage wasn't allowed in some states. As a black girl that's always been attracted to white guys if that was still the case then if I lived in states where interracial marriage was illegal I probably wouldn't get married. I'm sure there are still people out there who oppose interracial marriage but there's never been any good argument as to why it shouldn't be allowed. I've yet to hear a good argument as to why gay marriage shouldn't be allowed and I don't think I ever will because there isn't one. If you're convinced gay marriage is wrong then you're more than welcome to feel that way, but no one should be allowed to deny someone happiness because they don't think there should be two men or two women in one bed.

What Girls Said 30

• "Do not be surprised, my brothers, if the world hates you." (1 John 3:13)

"If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable..." (Leviticus 20:13)

"Furthermore, since they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, he gave them over to a depraved mind, to do what ought not to be done." (Romans 1:28)

"Although they know God's righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them." (Romans 1:32)

"And he has given us this command: Whoever loves God must also love his brother." (1 John 4:21)

"You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgement on someone else, for at whatever point you judge the other, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgement do the same things." (Romans 2:1)

• Re: your update

Wonderful! :)

• How is it wonderful

• its wonderful that love, freedom, and equality are slowly but surely overcoming hatred and bigotry and backwards thinking in our country. yay us. :)

• Gay people have the same rights any man has the right to marry any woman he chooses which is what is normal.

• Not a BAD person, exactly. Just intolerant and close-minded. While having one negative trait, like intolerance for example, doesn't make someone completely bad, it usually is an indicator of someone being an all-around douche. I don't know you, so I can't judge your entire character.

• It is not that I don't like gay people I just don't agree with gay marriage.

• I like how honest this answer is.

• You're not a bad person for opposing gay marriage, but in my opinion you'd be a bad person if you took to ridiculing and/or physically abusing people because they're gay. I consider people who are against gay marriage to be intolerant and traditional to a fault, but not bad. Though, if you want my honest opinion, I personally think that people who can be accepting of all others are better people than most.

• I think it makes you narrow minded and bigoted, which yes, in my mind, as a bisexual and liberal, are bad characteristics. However what my standards are for being a bad person and what the next persons standards are may vary drastically. The Southern Baptists who march around with signs saying "god hates fags" probably don't think they are bad people either. I fundamentally disagree.

• I think gay people should be able to get the same legal rights you get when you are married with someone. But I don't get why they are fighting so hard to get to be married in a church, to have a religious wedding. If the religion is against it, to me, that is the same as a black person wanting to join the nazis.

• RETARDED! YOU CAN BE RELIGIOUS AND GAY! F***ING CHRIST THE IGNORANCE ON THIS SITE!

• As I have understood it, the Christian religion is against homosexuality and believes that marriage should be between a man and a woman, why then would you want to get married in a Christian church when you are against what they believe? I can understand that you can be gay and be religious and want to get married. No problem with that. What I don't understand is why you want to do it in a Christian church when it is clearly against what the Christian faith entails?

• Am I a bad person if I oppose you getting married?

• Yeah because I want a real marriage.

• QA, if you would define someone as bad for opposing your marriage, then using your idea of what being a bad person means I'd have to say that you're a bad person.

• Honestly... Touche with your answer right here.

• Nopes it just means you have conservative views. I don't agree with your views but it doesn't make you a bad person people have oposing views all the time . Now you would be a bad person if you ate babies .

• no your not a bad person. everyone has different opinions

i believe people should have the right I just don't know if it is morally right? you know? but its not my place to tell people who they are going to love so yeah :) I'm for it. but that's my opinion.

i hate all this harsh talk on here though its really irritating when people can't be mature and tolorate opinions of others with a contraversial subject.

a little maturity is appreciated, people

as for you. its your opinion and your entitled to that. and thanks for sharing it you don't need to believe in anything you don't want to that's your right. :) have a nice day

• You are a very young, and immature man. I do not say that to be offensive to you, as you believe you are not being offensive in what you say. The reason I say this is because I think you will change you opinion about this as you live & mature.

You say you aren't a homophobe, I think you might be or you would feel differently about this subject.

As you live & go through life, you will meet & get to know many more people, and develop close relationships, just as you have some now. Many of those will be will people who are gay & lesbians, & you may or may not know who they are, just like now. And you will want them to be able to be happy in their lives like you can be, married and with families.

Believe it or not, you already have very close friends & family who are in that same situation. They just haven't been able to talk with you about it because you are so close minded. Can you imagine how horrible that must feel for them? Just imagine being in love with someone & not being able to be with them in public, or marrying them? I do not believe God had this in mind.

And I KNOW that He did not put you in charge of judging them. Nowhere in the bible does it say that.

Nowhere. I think people have twisted things to suit themselves & their phobias.

Get over yourself. Let me hear from you in about 20 years. More to the point...it isn't your business.

Gays don't get into your business, don't get into theirs.

• If college did not brainwash me nothing will

• no you're not a bad person. but if you think others are bad for being pro gay marriage then...yeah, you get it.

• A bad person? Not really. But certainly a narrow minded one with bigoted views. There isn't a reason that is suitable as to WHY they shouldn't get married. There never will be. And no one should want to deny the happiness of others for an outdated concept. Free love and peace and all that. I recently went to a gay marriage and it was beautiful. To see their happiness - it makes me cry to think people want to deny that.

• Yeah there is because it is not natural.

• Those are unnatural and contraception is wrong according to religion.

• Religion encourages aids, war, disease and hate.

If your heart stopped wouldn't you want them to resuscitate you?

If your child could not be born - would you not want a caesarian? Would you let a child die?

Exactly. You cannot respond. You have no real reason and no logic. Your answer is full off hate and stupidity.

Spread the AIDS/HMV, war and prejudice but not love?

Oh and feel up kids too like those Catholic priests?

So, basically, gays are natural. Your so called beliefs on the other hand...

• i m not in favor... and not against it either..

• Yeah it's back because you basically believe in discrimination. But I guess it's fine if you don't agree with it as long as you believe other people should have the right to do whatever they want as long as it doesn't hurt others

• That's just your opinion.

• you are entitled to express what you want. so go ahead and say that but keep in mind that you are denying gay couples of expressing their love! good luck living with yourself!

• Not a bad person - just ignorant.

How does two men or two women getting married directly affect you?

• No you aren't a bad person - I personally believe marriage should be abolished altogether - does that make me a bad person? No, just another person with an opinion.

• I think state-recognized marriage is the stupidest thing ever. Marriage is supposed to be a social and/or religious contract, not something monitored by the government.

• I actually see where you're coming from. It's an out-dated concept etc.

• You're not alone. Traditional is the only way in my eyes. Homosexual marriage is a joke in itself. The bible clearly opposes it. There's nothing holy about that kind of matrimony

• Are you being serious or sarcastic

• If lgbt persons can fight our war, and die for our friends, family, and selves. They ought be allowed to get hitched. Lgbt persons stand and support a country who cannot seem to stand and support them. Good way to thank them right?

• thos same people who can die for our country can do so at 18 righ but they can't drink for our country untill they are 21...oh well we are not usppoed to serve for reward we are supposed to serve because we love or country even if id doesn't support every thing we want

• Being able to get married to the one you love is NOT a reward. It's a human f***ing right.

• It's not good or bad. It's just your point of view.

• No, I support you 100%

• At least I am not alone

• Given all the people who call me hateful though

• I love how we're supposed to have freedom of speech and yet if some people don't approve of homosexuality we're just horrible people, or whatever.

• your update.. our country is turning to sh*t I feel like.

I mean can you imagine like 20 years from now or when you have kids and they have kids what the world will be like.. disgusting

• I feel we are becoming to accepting especially of things that are not natural or things that violate the laws of nature.

• lol one of the most idiotic girls on this site agrees with you and supports you. this should tell you something about who you are and the way you think.

ha ha. oh goodness. people. you gotta love 'em.

• She seems fine to me she does not support things that are unnatural.

• No.. I am totally against it, its fine. People are allowed to have their own opinion

• That is true but still people always say that we are haters and stuff.

• Human stupidity amazes me. Read a book, thanks.

• Like I said... they are more than likely queers themselves...

• You're definitely not a bad person for having an opinion and your own beliefs. You would be considered a bad person if you were discriminating gay people in any way, by hate speech, abuse, or attacking their rights as human beings. I'm quite disappointed at all the harsh comments you received and it upsets me how these days you can't even state an opinion, in a mature way. You weren't hating on anyone in your question, just expressing your personal beliefs, if people don't know what freedom of speech is, then it's definitely not you the one who's "dumb" or "ignorant". Society is being so two-faced and hypocritical, as always, that's not a surprise though..

• I personally don't think you are bad person. People don't usually get that there is a difference between hate and disagreeing, so I am not surprised by some of the answers. Having a personal view is your right, just as the people who are for gay marriage have the right to think the way they do. Of course it seems that some liberals tend to want us all to respect their views, but refuse to respect our more conservative views, which I find hypocritical. Believe what feels right to you and stand by it. Of course people like us will be called close minded, ignorant, dumb ect.., but I figure if that is the only way they know how to communicate, there is no point in even trying to have a discusion with them.

• That is fair to say I don't hate gay people I know some who are nice people too.

• I am the same way. I don't hate anyone nor do I go around telling people what they are doing is bad. I respect their right to their own opinion and I expect people to show me the same respect (which rarely happens. I have friends who are homosexual and they do not make as big a deal over this difference of opinion (compared to the responses below).

• No, you're not a bad person. You're perfectly entitled to your own beliefs. But be prepared for opposition when it comes to something as controversial as gay marriage. I live by the philosophy "live and let live."

• I would say you're an ignorant and close-minded person. I don't think opposing gay marriage should define you as a person (whether you are good or bad). A lot of people were raised to think gay marriage is wrong, but a lot of those people could be really nice people. If you could perhaps try to understand and accept, that would change your ignorant and close-minded characteristics (not that you are 100% ignorant, just in THIS case).

• any one who calse someone close minded is closeminded becaus they have just made a decision on someone else...lol judging people.

• uh no not really. I am not being racist, homophobic, sexist, or looking at any group of people in a degrading way. I'm close minded because I'm saying someone else is close minded? no. obviously I KNOW people are opposed to gay marriage and I know their reasons so that doesn't make me close minded at all. I'm not forcing my opinions onto the QA (they asked the question in the first place, they're pretty much putting themselves in the position to be judged) I just gave my honest opinion.

• with your logic, you should be close minded as well for calling me close minded. way to go for judging, genius :o

• nothing wrong there. I don't think gayness should be shoved in our faces really. its absolutly disgusting to see 2 guys or 2 chicks kiss. I have nothing at all against gays as long as there not shoving it in my face, iv had gay friends that I love but I don't think its natural

• I agree with you. it is your opinion, that doesn't make you 'bad'

• It just seems to me that if you are against it you are considered as being closed minded and stuff.

• ikr. I'm religious, too, and I believe marriage is for a man and a woman. I hate how people say I'm close-minded...I've thought about this quite a lot & discussed it with people of varied viewpoints, yet I stand by my answer. I had a close friend of mine who announced she was bi, only to find out later she did it for attention/rebel against her parents. I just don't understand how someone can be 'gay'...i think they are confused & are heavily dealing with personal issues.

What Guys Said 13

• it doesn't make you bad,it's just backward thinking. you only live once, why waste it worrying about who other people choose to spend their life with.

• Half the population feel as you do. The media and the wealthy however mostly don't so they can make you feel as if you are alone! Such is the land of freedom.

• I don't see anything wrong with what you posted in your update. It seems to me that it is a good thing that Illinois could prove itself to be forward thinking and compassionate towards gays. Why is it that marriage as an institution shouldn't be extended to people of the same sex? There is no rational reason not to do it, or even a good moral one I think.

• Because it is unnatural and I don't support their lifestyle choices.

• How is it unnatural? All the evidence points to homosexuality being natural, not a choice. And just because you don't like their lifestyle doesn't mean that you should stop them from doing what makes them happy, and what will allow them to have a fulfilling relationship with someone from their preferred gender.

• It doesn't make you a bad person, having an opinion, no matter how strong, isn't a bad thing. If you were saying that you hated all gays, then I would have to say yes, you are a bad person, because hate is a completely different matter.

If you can't give a good reason why gays shouldn't marry I might call you close minded, ignorant, and other unpleasant things though.

• if you listen to no one else listen to me...opposeing anything is human nature...we like some things and others we don't that's just life so is people from one side giving you crap if they are aginst you...so no your not a bad person..and you are not closeminded. if anyone calls you closeminded they are being closeminded because they judged you. I disagree with it because it is aginst my religion and because it is not natural animals are not homosexual they may do homosexual things but animals are pheremone drivin if it dose something homosexual it is because it is deprived and its senses are confused. and I mean loot at what we have to work with.. I have gay friends I don't hate anyone unless they give me reason to. they do have a right to fight for what they believe in however so do the other guys. so don't let anyone give you crap about it

• I don't think you're a "bad" person for opposing gay marriage, just a dumb one. You are entitled to your beliefs though, however bigoted they might be.

• I don't agree with you but that doesn't make you a bad person, just a person with antiquated morals.

• you are not alone. I think gay marriage and the same sex crap is nasty and has destroyed our homes, schools and streets.\

• Ladies and gentlemen where have just made a step closer to lowering the age of consent.

• Apparently yes!

• I guess that is what everyone else thinks but this is a liberal site.

• It is not only God though it is what is natural.

• If you don't like it don't do it, to other people it's natural.

• yes it makes you a horrible evil person. possibly worse than hitler and the republicans.

• No, its perfectly normal. Don't let anybody tell you otherwise.
    You aren't hurting anyone, just expressing your feelings.

• lol a lot of these answers are borderline retarded. "You are not a bad person but you're stupid." Then some bash you because you happen to be religious. lol hypocrites. Anyway, I have a similar view to you. I don't think they should be married because of the religious implications of it and homosexuality is against the major religions. However, I think they should tweak civil unions so it is more similar to marriage and they should come up with their own ceremony. It just seems odd if they took part in the same ceremony, you know?

So basically I guess I think they should be able to but not call it marriage and not have a typical wedding. It's a great compromise in my opinion. Feel free to down vote this.

• I am a practicing Catholic and religiously I don't believe in it.. but who am I to tell you that you can't marry someone you love?