What is the logic of the "Religious Right"?

So I've had enough of all the conservative "Christians" talking about how we need to stop gay marriage and abortion... I am Christian as well and would like to see if you agree with my side.

1. People are supposed to have free will and the Christian responsibility is supposed to be to help others take responsibility for their actions. Taking away free will is not helping others.

1 Corinthians 9:24 Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain [it]. 25 And everyone who competes [for] [the] [prize] is temperate in all things. Now they [do] [it] to obtain a perishable crown, but we [for] an imperishable [crown].

2. Forcing laws on people does not help people learn. If someone wants an abortion and its against the law, are they learning its immoral? NO. So why not set up education and help for them instead of taking away their choices.

3. If they want to outlaw things like gay marriage and abortion... why not adultery? And in the same verse, swindlers, drunks and the greedy are condemned... why are all these things not the conservative list? They accept many wrongdoings of the American lifestyle because its easy to only hate people like homosexuals.

1 Corinthians 6:9-10 - "Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God."

4. The Christian Liberation Theology was the basis for Marxism... Why do they think its evil? Because the rich of America tell them it is?

Most Helpful Guy

• the religious right are some of the biggest hypocrits around, they are agenda driven and money hungry.

• And, sadly, I think many of them are just manipulated by the GOP and the rich men that run it. Ever since Andrew Johnson, the white supremacist small government president, there has been this reach out to the religious right for support. Back then the Democrats were more like the tea party, and the radical repubs were the Dems of today... but you know what I mean haha

What Girls Said 1

• They're not hurting anyone, I don't see what the big deal is. People have been gay for centuries, it's not anything new. Just accept it, or if you can't do that then ignore it. It's their life, they can live it the way they want, no need to condemn them imo.

• exactly.. and I'm just pushing further that it is AGAINST the true teaching of Christianity to judge them. So the Religious Right is a mockery.

• That's very true, people lose sight of what Christianity's fundamentally all about, which is loving other people. One of my favorite songs is "They'll Know We Are Christians By Our Love".

What Guys Said 3

• im an athiest so I pretty much the whole religous deal is bullsh*t, but even if it wernt in the bible dosnt jesus say that people will be judged for their sins in heaven and that people have no right to judge others actions because judging the goodness of man is a responsability for the relm of god, anyone who is out persecuting abortionists, gay couplels, etc is saying by their action that they believe themselves to be above what jesus say isn't that self contradictory

• Everyone else's sins are much worse than mine.

• "1. People are supposed to have free will and the Christiain responsibility is supposed to be to help others take responsibility for their actions. Taking away free will is not helping others."

I don't see how condoning an immoral act helps others take responsibility for their actions. If a society allows gay marriage, then that society says that gay marriage is acceptable.

Besides, it's impossible to take away free will. People are going to do what they want to do. It's illegal to speed and to use drugs, but people still do it. Changing laws does not affect free will.

"2. Forcing laws on people does not help people learn. If someone wants an abortion and its against the law, are they learning its immoral?"

They're learning that society won't stand for abortion. Are you saying that we should have no laws, encourage people to go out and do things like have abortions, and then tell them "Now that you've had an abortion, we can teach you why it's immoral."

"3. If they want to outlaw things like gay marriage and abortion... why not adultery?"

Hey, I'd support outlawing adultery.

I'm not sure what you are saying with number 4.

One of the big reasons that I'm against gay marriage is...where does it stop? If we allow gays to be married, then we have to allow anyone to marry anyone/anything they want. Which means:

-Pedophiles have to be allowed to marry small children (after all...pedophiles can't help it, they were "born that way")

-Polygamists have to be allowed to marry multiple spouses

-People have to be allowed to marry animals

-People have to be allowed to marry their own siblings

Each one of those groups would argue that they were "born that way" and can't help feeling the way they feel. And, more importantly, each one of those groups would argue in court "the government allowed gays to marry, therefore the government has to allow us to marry who WE want.".

• Giving people freedom of choice makes them believe things like abortion is acceptable you're saying? It is the responsibility of the people to teach people how to live, not the government laws.

Do you think people being attracted to same sex is the same thing as pedophilia? Do you think that if we allow gays to marry that people will want to marry animals?

Homosexuality has been around since the beginning of man.

• No... Right now we are forcing behavior through law enforcement. I've seen priests and their anti-gay rights groups protesting and spreading hate speech! I mean, how much further from the teachings is that?

And how about my question of the adulterers from the OP? Why aren't they pressing for laws against them?

• "I've seen priests and their anti-gay rights groups protesting and spreading hate speech!"

What are they saying?

"And how about my question of the adulterers from the OP? Why aren't they pressing for laws against them?"

That's a question for Congress.