What are chances of me and my ex ever reuniting?

Long story short: me and my ex became close friends about a year ago. At the time, she was engaged, but broke off the engagement because she simply was not happy with her fiancee. Two months later, me and her start dating but the relationship only lasts for about two months (I lied to her several times during the course of our relationship). We go our seperate ways for a grand total of about three weeks. Then we begin talking to each other every day, until I got back in school and then we only talked to each other three or four times a week.

In the time that we've broken up, twice I've misinterpreted something she's said, thinking she wanted to reconcile and that she was still in love with me. The last time (a few days ago) she told me that she didn't want to be with me, or anyone else, and that she was in no shape to be in a relationship. She said if she ever were interested in me again, she'd be the first to let me know.

I hate that she said that because it's tempting to hold on to those words and believe that once she gets herself together, if I've been a "good boy" and remain friends with her, she'll seriously consider a new relationship with me. But holding onto words like that and making them mean more than what they really do has been what's gotten me here in the first place.

I have a feeling I should let go (not permanently but temporarily, until I get myself together) but it's hard, because she is my best friend, and has remained so in the four months since our breakup. Plus she's going through a lot right now and I really want to be there for her, not because I think it'll help boost my chances but because I'm her friend, and that's what I want to do for her. Does she really think there's a decent chance of us getting back together once she gets herself back together, or did she just say that to spare my feelings?

Most Helpful Girl

• Honestly, I think there is a chance of you two getting back together but it will take time and patience, it could take weeks, months or so. If you really care just continue being a friend and care for her but don't be too clingy, maybe because she just needs some time. And don't get your hopes up too high though because it will make you depressed. It will be hard but just let go of those words. Focus on yourself.

Maybe she doesn't want to have a relationship right now with you but in the future.

Also since you dated her for only two months maybe she feels you two are better off as close friends. But If you want to be with her I say continue being a good friend, because from there a new relationship can form. Time will tell, just don't look too deep into it.

• Well here we are 6 mo. later. She's not in a relationship, but "likes someone a lot". I'd say she's head over heels in love. I went about a month without talking to her, she sent me a couple of messages saying she misses me. Should I cut her off altogether? I don't want to but at the same time I don't want to be bombarded with constant reminders on her facebook and myspace page about how happy she is with this dude? Could this be just a fling?

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 1

• Let it go. Let her go. My ex said that to me after leaving me and, while I love her with all my heart, I wised up and let her go. I'm not going to sit on the sidelines waiting for her to pick me after she's had her fun.