Is marriage losing its value of what it used to be?

What do you think?. I personally think so. I won't say why to spoil the question though, but what do you think?.

Most Helpful Girl

• i think the problem is that people get married too fast and don't fully get to know the person enough, or they just have lust for each other but in reality personality wise theyre not as compatible as they think, I believe in long engagements and the couple should frequently visit each others parents houses get the families together and get to know each other thoroughly and discuss common goals, kids, sex, finance while being engaged...and I think after 2-3 years if you still love each other so much thennn you should tie the knot.

i know a lot of girls that fall for the guy and feel lust for him and vice versa and they have some good talks here and there and have nice times together and after 6 months dating they decide to tie the knot which is ridiculous because you have so much more to learn about each other and grow together a bit more...and now a lot of these chicks I heard about are getting divorced...sucks but at the same time I always say you shouldn't have rushed.

also I think people should use protection and birth control and ask themselves if they are really ready to be parents? just because marriage is a green light for sex doesn't mean you should be okay with having kids right away...you still have to settle in learn more about each other as a couple before deciding to be parents since kids are a huge responsibility.

What Girls Said 5

• Yes I think this is true. Getting divorced seems to be the 'thing' to do at the moment. I believe if you get married you get married for life...(obviously there are some extreme cases where I can understand divorcing) BUT, I think it is such a shame that so many marriages fail just after a year of being married. Marriage isn't the end, its the beginning, and just like any relationship/friendship etc, you have to work at it everyday, and make it work. You must have married for a reason, and its that reason you have to keep proving was right.

I know too many people who have married and then split after a year, and I just think, what a waste.

• I think so to, Yes, to a certain extent marriage is losing value. But to me, it definitely still means a lot... it used to be that people had to get married for respect, money, family, and a sex life, but now people can have all of that without marrying... so why bother? I think that's the thought process that a lot of people have. Personally, I would like to have that type of stability, security, love and assurance that marriage provides. However marriage is on the decline and I don't think people who get married want to get divorced but I once read somewhere that 50% of marriages end up in divorce as of the year 2000.

• Yes, I think a lot of times people get married for the wrong reasons example she got pregnant and you wanted to do what was "right".

I think people are too quick on getting a divorce when things get hard or tough for them it is a quick solution. I think marriage vows should be taking serious and if you get married you should do everything possible to try and work things out.

• With the 50% divorce rate in America? Yes. People get married way too quick.

• Yes. The divorce rate is really high, like 50%. It's predicted that in 10 years, more couples will be living together without that official piece of paper. There's also that women's liberation movement, which has caused them to devalue the sacredness of sex. However, that's no reason to join the crowd. Live your life for you, and hold high your principles.

What Guys Said 4

• Certainly. In times before one could not quit whenever he wanted and therefore taking it deadly serious. Now it is common to marry somebody counting with that you would change scenery whenever you like. What kind of marriage will be formed that way? Also when one knew that he/she could not quit he/she made even very hard effort in marriage and that made best marriages ever, because those people worked out some very serious issues together and that connected them for life. Now everybody avoids unpleasant experience by quitting and never experience that deep level of knowing each other and that what real marriage looks like.

• When we've gotten to a stage where the likes of Kelsey Grammar broke off a 15 year marriage over the phone, the likes of Larry King married 9 times, and the likes of Jesse James and Tiger Woods had sex with everyone outside of their marriage, we can well and truly say that marriage has lost its value.

• yes

were also loosing the ability to communicate and solve personal problems with one another which is why there are more arguements- poor communicating leading to divorce

but it doesn't help in the way that this world is going everything is being done quicker yet we some thing s need time to work

marriage is a bit like court cases you slowley gather the evidence

so in relation to marriage you get to know each other over time and build a up a relationship

• Of course. Marriage today is based on feelings. It wasn't alway thus.