If you were getting married, would you hyphenate your last names?

Guys- would you be upset if your fiance wanted to hyphenate your last names rather than just take yours?

Girls- do you want to hyphenate your last name when you get married?

• Hyphenate those names!
  • DON'T Hyphenate those names!

Most Helpful Girl

• I will probably change my last name,but if a couple together decide to hyphenate their last name that is their choice and not really anyone Else's business.

Marriage is about making a commitment to someone you love and can't live without for the rest of their lives. What ever name a person choices doesn't change them they are still the person you fell in love with.

What Guys Said 14

• this question is another reason not to get married

• i think she should take the guys name. her previous last name was her father's, and at marriage the father walks his daughter down the isle to give her to her husband. the switching of names represents this imo

• Depends on how it sounds.

Good: Chris Evert-Lloyd

Less good: Melinda Smith-Williamson

• For a heterosexual relationship, it should be whatever the couple decides. Given that it's the traditional means of doing things, I would say the woman should be willing to change her name if the husband wants it. Personally, I don't really care, but I'd rather she just keep her own name than get it hyphenated. For a homosexual relationship, hell if I know. I think it's often hyphenated, but I can't say that for sure.

What I'd love to see is how many of the girls who oppose taking the husband's name consider themselves "traditional" in all other realms of dating.

• I dun care, whatever makes her happy.

• My last name is that of old English royalty, why wouldn't she want to be my Queen. Hail the red Rose!

• that's cute! lol you would have to get her like a tiara (one of those little cheapy kids ones!) I love the way you put that!

• A woman should take her husband's last name when she gets married. A woman taking huer husband's last name is an important tradition in the institution of marriage. If a woman doesn't want to taker her husbands last name then she should simply not get married.

• Barnett-Blackwood sounds like a f***ing company. Like a law firm or something. Or like Burke and Hare, hahaha.

• it seems that more women nowaday's want to keep their old name or hyphenate. This would have been a big problem if my wife didn't change her name. If tradition was for the man to change I would have done it for her. But it would tell me that she really doesn't love me enough to get married. Maybe she is already thinking ahead to getting a divorce.

• if she was famous or something I wouldn't be that bothered if she kept her name. but I'd prefer that she would either hyphenate or take my last name.

• I'd just go with whatever sounded the best.

• It was either she take my last name or else... or else I take hers.

• I would be completely annoyed if my wife hyphenated her name. The kids would definitely take my name, though.

• You would hit her because she didn't...take your name? Wow dude, that's f***ed up.

• lmao No, I guess you've never heard the term "smack in the face" before. It means that I would take it as a sign of disrespect. It has nothing to do with actually hitting anyone and even if it did, I was directing it at myself.

• Too many sylables and it would be hard for our kids to have to learn how to spell.

• Just think about when they have to do testing! Like their name wouldn't be able to fit in the little boxes!

• umm no, the kids get the fathers last name...that wasn't up for debate in your ? :)

What Girls Said 31

• I think hyphonating is stupid. Either take his name or don't. I, personally, will. My last name is my adopted father's last name and it has no real tie to who I am. And my birth name is from an asshole who left when I was two months old, so I don't want to keep that either. I'd be HONORED if my husband would LET me have his last name.

And once you hyphenate, then the kids hyphenate and what if one of them gets married to another hyphenated name, then what do you do? Do you FOIL it out? FIrst outter inner last?

So if it was Smith-Jones marrying John-Balk do you just...

(Smith x Jones)(John x Balk)

Then FOIL that sh*t? There's a point where it get ridiculous. Just take his name or keep your own. Also hyphenations just sound silly. My mom took her maiden name as her middle name when she got married so it was still there is was just subtle.

• i look forward to getting married and taking my boyfriends name :)

i don't see it as somehow losing my identity or betraying my family name or whatever other rubbish. for a start, my maiden name is the result of my own mother marrying and changing her original name, and so on back through the generations. Women's surnames change so frequently it seems silly to feel so attached in my opinion.

im an only child as well so there aren't any males to carry on the surname as such but you know I really doubt anyone cares. my dad isn't going to watch me get married and think 'damn, that's the end of that surname' he's gonna be happy I've married a great guy!

to us its mutual. I'm proud to take his surname, and thrilled that he is proud enough to be mine to give me it and take me into his family.

i have a very set opinion on this so I do expect to get some very mixed reactions from others here! :)

• Hmmm...well...hmmmm...

I think I'm a hyphenator.:)

I was thinking of dropping my last name legally anyway...but I think I'm a bit lazy to go through the legal work.But I'm also a performer so...i think I might just hyphenate.Im not really sure but...I never like feeling as though my identity is changed or compromised so...im on the fence with this one.

Although,i do have a personal rason for wanting to drop my last name...

• I just feel like hyphenation usually is clumsy and long. Plus, if it were a trend, think how long your grandchildren's name would be? Eg. You're Jane Smith-Johnson, your daughter marries a guy whose last name is James so your grandchild is now Sally Smith-Johnson-James. But that's me, for other people I really couldn't care less what they choose.

• Nope, I believe when you marry you should "give up" your fathers last name because you are no longer his "little" girl or single, that's what I believe at least. I think hyphenating is stupid too.

I'd change my last name, why wouldn't I?If I can't let go of a name what else will I not be willing to compromise?

• I really like your way of saying that. You're not your daddy's little girl any more, so it's not his name protecting you and supporting you and such. It's your husband now, and taking his name shows that you're willing to let him take care of you now, and you trust him to protect you and keep you safe. And, because you're officially really becoming a part of his family you're letting him know you're all in it for him, and that he is your man now. It's a little thing but I think guys do care.

• Well why thank you:)

But yea, I think guys would care to some extent

• Are you the "Evangelina" that answered me yesterday, cause for sure you get my support now for your answer, finally a good wonderful answer, and it's not guys would care for an extant it's a basic thing and very important actually it means a lot and it makes your man respects you a lot and now you a part of him.."zombiefood", your comment made it so easy on me cause it's like you read my mind and write it down here, thanks to you too! now take care, either girls like you or better with no girls

• If/ when I get married, I will hyphenate our names (or just go by both without the actual hyphen) because I like my name and it's important to me. My sister and I are also the only people in our generation that I know of who carry our last name, and if we both get married and take our husband's name, it will be lost. I don't want to see that happen because I feel strongly about my heritage and I am a somewhat sentimental person I guess.

I can understand why a lot of guys would prefer that their wife take their name, especially those who live in conservative societies where it is expected. But personally I think that turning it into a deal breaker situation is selfish. If a woman feels strongly about keeping her name, she should not be made to feel guilty about it by the expectations of a sexist society. Guys say, "If it was the other way around, I would change my name, but it's tradition for the girl to, so I won't." But maybe you just don't value your name like she does. Besides, no guy actually knows what it's like to grow up wondering what will become of your name.

• I want to just keep my last name, I mean this isn't the 1930's anymore.

I don't see the point in trying to remember to sign a new name or go get it changed just because I get married

• If you see me, I'll make you you wish to live in the 1930's, you will write your name with pen in your mouth, you FEMINIST BITCH!

• REALLY?! Because she isn't followed the stereotypical gender role, she is a feminist bitch? I think that's a bit uncalled for!

• lol wow I think you may need to see somebody about that tony

sounds like you have some serious mommy issues and from what I can tell you will never have to worry about a woman wanting to marry you, so you really shouldn't even be looking at this question.

I'm also not a feminist I happen to like my last name and I see no point in going to get my name changed on my license and trying to remember to sign the correct name every time I use it just because I'm married.

• got the best initials ever, AKA. I think I'll just marry someone who's last name begins with an A...all problems resolved!

in all seriousness, I love my last name- I think I'd keep it...depending on how much it bothers/doesn't bother him.

• some of you western girls just wants to make marriage as it suits, you better stop calling it marriage and call fun and divorce! you know what! F*** every feminist on earth! they poison your minds...anyways it's sad cause just don't believe what a an animal jungle life you live out there, now I won't wonder why there are very high divorce rates! keeping her last name, what a joke!

• I love the fact that it is AKA! That's too funny! I've joked around about saying that I need to find someone with the same first letter as my last name, because I initial everything! Mine are JRR nothing special though! lol

• Lol, Tonys such a lej

• The hyphenation is silly. It makes your name unnecessarily long and tedious.

I would like to keep my last name though, I'm quite attached to it and it rhymes with my first name. :)

• _|_ if you know what this symbol means, than enjoy it and keep it with your last name!

• I think I'll keep my own. It's a part of who I am, if he has a major problem with not having the same last name then either we can hyphenate or he can change his if he isn't against that.

• I never thought of him changing his. I like how you are at least giving him options! lol

• My last name is a dying breed due to heart disease :-( So I plan to keep it. but my last name already has 8 letters and I want my currents so that makes 16 letters when put together!

• I completely know what you're saying. My parents only had 3 girls! I'm just like imagining when you have to fill out those standardized tests how you would have to write the letter at the top and then hunt for the bubble below. lol

• I don't ever want to change my last name. I never understood why women are expected to take the husband's name anyway. I think it stupid.

• i want us to be one. one last name not two. I will be all his and I want his last name.

• Even though my surname was given to me by an asshole, I would still keep it as it sounds cool and has a cool meaning. But f***ing hell my name would be long. My surname has eleven characters in it, my first name six. Add in a couple more characters for a second last name, bloody hell, why even be bothered to get married?

• I would want his last name.

• I think you should keep both, but not hyphenate them...

That is possible as well, and a bit classier in my opinion.

• no I would not take just his last name I would need to hyphenate it. for one lets be real half of all marriges end in divorce and it would be a big hassle to get yout last name back but if you hyphenate it it is a lot easier

• I think I would only hyphenate if like he had been married before and I happened to have the same first name as his Ex lol...but no I actually like the whole thing of taking the guys last name, I think it makes you link together lol :)

• I do sorta want to hyphenate my last name since it's one in a million last names that's sorta humorous and cool however annoying at times when you are meeting immature people or fans...; but than I don't want to because I want to follow the traditional style.

• I don't see anything wrong with hyphenating names, you're still taking their name just in addition to the one you already have. I however would rather just take their last name since I've always hated mine lol

• I'm really traditional the only reason I would keep my last name was if I had kids who had their dads name be other than that I would change my name.

• i hate how people see marriage as the father handing his daighter over to her husband like she is a possession. she's her own person and should be able to have whatever name she chooses. when I was born my birth certificate just had my dads name because my mum chnaged hers when she was married, when I turned 18 I hyphenated my name to include my mums maiden name because as far as I'm concerned that's who I am.

• but your mums maiden name was only her maiden name because her mum got married and lost her original name and etc etc... fair point?

• yes but regardless that was her name and she is half of me, why should only my dads name have an input?

• No, I don't want to hyphenate my last name. The woman is supposed to take the man's name. That's how it is.

• Very true, I would never accept a girl who won't changes her last name into mine, because this is what's family is all about...

• Well I already have 2 last names. I think I would drop them both and change it to my husbands name. Even though I only use 1 of my last names it still annoying for legal purposes.

• I would either take his name cause I love him (I have said otherwise in the past) or get a different last name. Long story short - my family is abusive so once I can support myself I changed my name and leaving them.

• i say, that you should first decide what name your children will get. and then decide if it's really necessary to hyphenate your name, or keep your name, or adopt his.

i plan on adopting my husband's last name

• I'll keep my name or hyphenate. I had no choice but to have my father's surname, but I'm nobody's property. I wouldn't expect my boyfriend to change his name, so he shouldn't expect it of me.

Plus my family's name is rare, and I have one sister who won't keep hers...

• I am married and I haven't even thought about changing my last name. And I certainly wouldn't keep my last name and hyphenate it with his...

• I know a handful of professionals who either hyphenated their name or simply kept their own names because it was easier that way - these people already had successful businesses in place associated with their names, so changing things around would just have been a mess trying to get the right name on everything.

I don't really give a hoot about what other people do - I probably will take my husband's name, unless he decides he likes mine better.

An alternative option that I think sounds really cool (and not as long of a name) for some people is to make up a new name as an amalgam of the couple's old ones - e.g. a couple with the last names Moore and Grant might call themselves "Morgan" or "Monet".

• No. I would just take the guy's last name

• More from Girls
    1