What's the best diamond SIZE for an engagement ring?

What do you personally think is the best size in carats IF money were no object? I mean what size would make you proud to show it off to your girlfriends (and try not to lie)? Is it really the bigger the better, or is there a limit? If you were given a ring with an obnoxiously large diamond would you feel a little too showy or too gaudy or would you flaunt it? Is there a minimum size?

I heard about the 3 month salary "rule" but I'm really interested in SIZE (dollar amount is never a good indication of size).

• It doesn't matter to me.
  • At least around 1 carat.
  • At least around 2 carats.
  • At least around 3 carats.
  • The bigger the better.

Most Helpful Girl

• I had to look up the sizes just now...lol I never really gave it much thought until today. I say anything between 1 and 2 carats is fine. But you can't be too picky when a man is proposing I guess :p If I had a ridiculously large rock on my finger, I would feel a little too showy.

What Girls Said 12

• My now ex let me pick mine out.. I think I went with a 1/2 carat ring cause I like dainty things. My hands are small and my fingers are short, so anything bigger looked just awkward. I didn't really care what other people thought of it, or if they weren't impressed by it. I liked it, and an engagement ring isn't meant for show off to your girlfriends anyway.

• Ok I'm going to be honest, I'd want something at least 2 carats. Nothing overly embellished, just the one diamond. Yes I like the bigger rings and I think its cute that a guy has gone to the trouble of having to save and budget etc to get the ring-shows how much you mean to him. Plus if you get divorced you have something to sell that's worth a bit lol. Just my materialistic and showy thoughts haha

• I don't care; I don't even want a diamond ring. I think it's a waste of money. But, if my boyfriend did buy me one, I'd want it to be small and modest because I do think big diamonds are too showy. I think its annoying and obnoxious when girls show off their huge diamonds like, "OMG look how big it is!" (read: "look how much money my fiance spent on me!"). I think it's materialistic and stupid.

• link no smaller.

• you should have put "other"...

its not the size that matters, but if I had to pick it would be this ring link

its 25 carats

• never liked diamonds - there is no ideal one for me - just a plain one is fine! It is not about the ring - it is about the amount of love he can give me!

• I'm not saying anyone's lying here...but I can't help but wonder how many girls are really secretly thinking more like SocietysBomb (but just won't admit it :)...

• tyler seriously if you think you know me then you know I don't like those things and never will but you don't so you will never know me

• It doesn't matter to me really.. I don't want something that may get stolen off my finger! All I need to know is that it is REAL and purchased from the heart.

• I don't care much for diamonds (I think they should be left in the ground unspoiled and untouched) so I'd prefer just a simple plain band with nothing on it. I wouldn't care if it was a cheep $10 ring, the meaning behind it is more important than what it looks like to me. Plus you don't have to worry about it getting stolen or lost or cleaning it.

• i prefer vintage rings(a plus is they are cheaper!)

link

that is my favorite ring ever

• one and a half carat at least

• With me, the bigger the better for diamonds etc. But that's how I grew up and I expect to live that kind of life style: money's easy. No, I don't think it's gaudy if you get a ring that looks nice with a big diamond as long as you accent it with diamond chips and baguettes. Carat size for the larger diamond on the ring, preferably 3 carats. I would want gold with white gold for the metal. The ring should not be a tiny little band if you're going with a bigger diamond because that WILL make it look gaudy. A ring like I have described I know is around $50,000. Too showy? No. For minimum size, I would probably say a 1.5 carat for what I like. This would be a ring I would buy. I don't expect people to buy things like this for me.

**BUT: If the man I loved proposed to me I don't think I would care about the size of the diamond or what kind of metal it's made out of like I normally would. How can you expect him to be able to do that when you're first starting off and why would you expect him to? You can't gauge some one's love by how much they spend on you.

• Everyone is saying it doesn't matter, it's the thought that counts... which is true, but that doesn't really answer your question. I'd like a ring that is small, simple, and modest. Nothing fancy or gaudy at all.

What Guys Said 0