What's the point of marriage? why do it?

Aren't people happier before marriage? if a person will cheat won't s/he do it married or unmarried? Okay I get the tax breaks and laws here and there that guarantee privileges to the married but what other reasons are there to do it? what emotional benefit comes from it? you can still spend your life with that person!

i know I have an antagonistic tone twd marriage but I am genuinely trying to figure out if I should do it. Just a month ago I was so excited about the prospects of marrying my boyfriend one day but now I feel like why must I marry him-im extremely happy as we r

Most Helpful Girl

• I think many couples can stay just as happy through life as that without the marriage thing. Laws have changed so much in the last decade that life partners whether it be bf/gf, gf/gf, or bf.bf pretty much have the same rights as those who are married. Already more children are born to unmarried couples than married so that little glitch doesn't seem to matter, in fact if you really take a close look at things marriage has pretty much been reduced to nothing more than a religious ceramony. Think of ONE THING that married couples can get, buy, or do that unmarried couples can't?

What Guys Said 3

• To be honest, I wouldn't care either way. I love the term "fiancée", though, so if a girl is of the same inclination as me, I could ask her to marry me, and then we could be betrothed the rest of our lives. Living together gives the same benefits as being married, so there's nothing really lost there. Honestly, introducing someone as my fiancée sounds much cuter.

Plus we'll avoid my having to ask her to sign a prenuptial agreement. That might get awkward.

• There is no point DON'T DO IT!

• It's a tradition that is supposed to by symbolic of two people pledging to spend their lives together. Marriage isn't for everyone and you don't need to get married in this day and age even to get tax benefits. If it's not something you want then by all means don't do it.

What Girls Said 4

• Don't get married.

Men benefit from marriage health wise and suffer from divorce financially if they earn more.

Women suffer from marriage health wise and benefit from divorce if they do not earn more.

• yeah I read that women suffer more mentally...

• And physically

stress, high blood pressure, increased cholesterol, weight gain, increased anger/anxiousness/depression, and less motivated to exercise (so no endorphins)

Married men are healthier men.

Whether the marriage is toxic or not.

The health benefit of marriage for women depends on the health of the marriage.

If it's a healthy marriage they are healthy if not they are not.

Since marriage has it's ups and downs you're health will be see sawing.

• Because then they can prove you're their property. They need the security of a piece of paper.

Simple as that. People are still neanderthals. . .

• to combine love, and it's also my religion, no marriage no sex :O

• I want to get married, not for some big wedding, but because when I love a person that much, I'd want everyone to know that, and I'd want them to know I am more than committed to spending the rest of our lives together. I'm not saying you can't do that without getting married, you can, but I personally love the idea of being married.

• i think its just the idea of marriage rather than the reality of marriage that you are into