What would you do if you married someone of the same religion as you?

What would you do if you married someone of the same religion as you and during your marriage they became atheist or started to follow a different religion?

Or if you're atheist and married another atheist and your spouse became religious?

Most Helpful Girl

• Dear selfishstars,

Very good question.

What would I do: Becoming religious, following a different religion etc. happens at a point in time which we won't know, but it's an ongoing thinking process prior to them taking a different route in their religious belief. Thus, at some point in time, I would discuss this matter with my husband, and take things as it goes with time. I'm afraid this is something which we won't have control in no matter how much you know or you've discussed it with your partner prior to marriage.

In general: All we can do is know what we want, make some smart choices for yourself, and see what we can compromise should this happen. I've heard of couples who seem to find a happy medium between both of them, on the other hand, I've heard of a husband who became overly religious that she had to divorce him. So should the path and how you perceive things in life between both of you change a lot and it's too much to accept for the other party, the only thing can be done is to move on with life.

0/2500

Send It!
Sponsored

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 4

• ermm... I'll let them do what feels right. But I would stick to my own religion.

• hmm.. Id like to think id respect their decision for it, as long as they didn't try to make me believe in what they believe, but truth is a person who is religious can not have a good relationship with someone who is atheist, right?

• Well I'm agnostic so I guess it wouldn't affect me.As long as they didn't push it on me or talked about it excessively

• In my case, it's complicated & impossible. As a muslim girl, I can't marry no one but muslim men! So, if he changed his religion after marriage, I must be divorced ...