What is the difference between a promise ring and an engagement ring?

I heard of this phenomenon called a promise ring, but how is it different from an engagement ring?

Most Helpful Girl

• Promise rings are usually bought by younger people, either because they think they're too young to get engaged, or don't have the money to buy an engagement ring. It's usually a promise that the other person will ask you to marry them when they're in a better position to, or a promise that you'll be "together forever". My guess, however, is that a lot of couples who exchange a promise ring don't end up getting engaged/married because they're usually "young loves"/high school sweethearts.

What Guys Said 2

• I Promise my devotion to you ( committed ONLY to you )...

Engagement ring I promise to marry you and be miserable for the rest of my life...

• About 4 grand or so

What Girls Said 3

• Engagement ring: you are engaged to be married. Promise ring: it really & truly means nothing, essentially. Girls think it means the guy "promises" to give them an engagement ring "someday." It doesn't. It started years ago as a fad, plain & simple for girls by the jewellery industry. Another way to spend $$$. It means nothing.

• Promise rings are to show that you promise not to have sex until marriage...at least in England that's what they're for.

Engagement rings are for when you're engaged to be married to someone (usually only girls wear these, but men and women can have promise rings)

• it's a pre engagment ring