Marriage: friendship or love ?

Yesterday I talked with my friend who's from New York City , and she told me that marriage has nothing to do with love. It is friendship. When you got a baby, you don't wanna sex any more ,especially women. AND then you just need a friend in your life. So what do you guys think ?

Most Helpful Guy

• There are many cultural differences between our countries. One difference is the idea of having more than one child. Most of us are just beginning our family at one child. But if you fear having another child because of what your culture believes, then sex would be scary rather than fun.

The idea of love is really strange, too. People talk of love at first sight, but you have to know things about a person to love them. What do they like? What do they want for the future? Do they want similar things to you? Somewhere along the line, after learning about the person, you find yourself caring more for them. You want to stay with them. you want to do most things with them. That is friendship, AND that is love. You marry them.

Maybe your friend understands love differently.

What Guys Said 4

• I'm sure she knows a lot of people in the city who are in marriages that most people would have ended long ago, but for financial, policitical, or social reasons, they have choses to stay together despite not being in love. But I can't imagine anyone CHOOSING a marriage like that, and I think those marriages tend to be sick and twisted.

• There's an element of truth to that, but not to the extreme she's taking it. Marriages are best when you're married to a friend as well as someone you're in love with.

• I think she's confusing love with lust.

• For one, why even think about marrying someone if you don't love them? That already knocks out her theory "that marriage has nothing to do with love." The point of a long-term committed relationship is to have a companion, so you don't feel lonely going through life. Those kinds of relationships are just advanced friendships. She's right to say that marriage is a friendship, but it is not devoid of love.

What Girls Said 1

• You need both love and friendship in a marriage. JMO.