Who else thinks marriage is a failed institution?

i just think marriage has become a trend, especially amongst 20 something year olds such as myself. mind you my parents have always been married, but my mom didn't actually marry my dad but whatever. over half of marriages end in divorce.

i figure to get married would be giving all the power to the woman. mind if you have a partner and your not married and your in a relationship with the person for 4 months half your crap is hers. I just don't see the point in marriage.

especially hard on the kids if there are kids involved. then the kids get used as weapons in custody battles, and whole loads of other bs. where I work I always get looks from married women.

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't think marriage as an institution has failed, I just think lots of people marry too young and don't know sh*t about how to really make it work. They don't necessarily see it as as much of a commitment as it should be. That and as soon as they run into problems most couples will default to getting divorced instead of making a serious effort to work things out, which is why the divorce rate is so high. Personally, I don't plan on getting married until my mid-to-late 20s. Maybe even my 30s. I am going to wait until I am good and ready for it. Divorce is NOT going to be in my future, thank you very much.

• I am starting to like u...in spite of your view of pee...

• if I ever marry which is highly unlikely, and I get divorced id never marry again. I don't see how people do it, my uncle is on his 3rd marriage I think.

• LOL! The only "flaw" that I have been able to discover in you is your "Never Say Never" thingummy! I did not marry until I was 38..was certainly not in any hurry to grow up. But things really change. I did not foresee leaving my state or having a son. He is in the Autism Spectrum and these things point out Life's True Priorities. After 16 years of marriage I don't know if you would say that I am happily married..but I am not unhappily married and she is easy to share a house.

What Girls Said 1

• Me

No man is worth that sacrifice

What Guys Said 5

• I don't think it is failed I just think it is useless in this day and age. I just think that we can love and be dedicated to somebody without the institution of marriage. Hey if something were to happen and you separate you don't have to worry about divorce and all that. Realistically people change over time and being married or living in a prince charming loving for eternity dreamland won't change that. My parents barely even talk and I feel like they stay married out of habit or because it is just what you are "supposed to" do. Human beings should live in the moment while thinking about your future love isn't an easy emotion to maintain.

• It's a nice idea on paper, but so many just rush into it without a hint of consideration to the possibility that things could collapse (which, I guess, it the reason they ARE taking such a gamble).

• I am interested in what you think will replace marriage...? And, given that almost any male you ask will tell you that he doesn't want to put his tongue where another male recently came...where do we go with this? Keep in mind that males do not seem to be wanting to fork over child support and neither do females seem towant to keep their "calves together" .. I do not judge..but what is the answer to this riddle?

• the destruction of the virus known as humanity

• i just think people can make a commitment, without having to legalize it on paper. just complicates things. look at gene simmons he's been with shannon for 20 plus yrs, and there never going to marry.

• yes marriage has failed. human beings were never meant to be married for more than 10 years, if you look in the past when life spans were really short.

• Marriage is over. Rampant fornication isn't going to be great for society, either.