Marrying after university - would you?

Say if you'd been with your other half since around 17, and made it to graduation (21) - would you consider marriage?

I'm just curious.

Haha, I'm not wanting to get married myself! I was just raising the question.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it's too early... but it happens. I go to a college in the midwest. Tons of people getting married. It's ridiculous. I think people should wait til they have steady jobs... I mean, if you date the same person all through hs/college, you're going to be bound to want to date other people? I mean, it happens, but it's very rare I'd say. Mostly just the super religious people who don't believe in divorce/having babies later in life getting married asap. Sorry, that's jut my opinion. I think it' sad that people feel so pressured to get married. Go have some fun!

What Guys Said 13

• demographics show that your marriage has a significantly higher chance of success if you wait until 26 or later. So the closer to 26 the better. But, if you're absolutely certain, it really doesn't matter.

If you have any doubts at all, I'd wait. You're still pretty young and haven't fully realized yourself at 21, so you both may change.

• no mainly beccause at that age you don't know who you are or what you want. I still dont. people change and the brain does not fully develop until I think early to mid 20s. plus you will both sooner or later crave having sex with other people and infidelity will likely ensue. your so young...i mean it could work and has of course but I say most people don't know who they are or what they want at such a young age

• I would if I loved her and still felt strongly about her. If it was just as a 'reward' for spending so much time with me I wouldn't.

A coworker of mine has this boyfriend she says she's 'basically married to' because they've been together since high school, but when they interact I never see either of them smile, or see their eyes light up, or detect any signs of attraction. It's more like a sister-brother relationship and it saddens me to no end because they both seem like really wonderful people.

It baffles me too because she has a bachelor's in psychology. >.<

• You should wait.

Until about 26 or 27, your brain isn't even fully developed yet. And most people don't have a stable career and income until about 30. I wouldn't even consider making a decision that's going to affect the rest of your life until about then. If it's meant to be, waiting until 30 won't change much, but if it's not, then it makes all the difference in the world to wait and make sure.

• Depends on who's footing the bill.

• How old is the other party?

My wife was 21 when we married; I was 45. We had a VERY happy marriage (read my profile) for almost 25 years.

• Nope. Just continue the relationship for a bit longer. Get a job, enjoy each others company. The next few years after college will dictate how a marriage will work between you two.

• No.

• Nope, I would wait until I have a stable job after graduation. Maybe even a few years later.

• No, I'd rather have a stable career before I get married, which probably means I won't marry for at least a few years after I'm done.

• If the relationship's going well, then of course!

• i would first try to establish a career first

• yep. I would.

• if it's still going strong, why not...

What Girls Said 12

• I would consider marriage...And, get engaged. But, I wouldn't get married until after college. When I have a stable job.

• I'd say after university, when you get the job you've been working for, I don't see the problem in getting married at all. Infact, I would say its the perfect time to get married especially for religious people who don't want to waste their time fooling around and getting married at 30 when you realize you're life if floating away.

• I would definitley consider it; however, after graduation there is a lot of stress that comes along with starting out the new phase of your life. I don't plan on getting married that soon because I want to enjoy my youth and freedom before I get married. I aim to wait till I am 25 to get married but there is nothing wrong with getting married out of college if you feel that it's best for the both of you.

• Well I have no intention of getting married until I graduate but I'll be 23 by then. The way I see it if you made it through college together you arrive at a point where you have to decide what you are going to do. Either continue to build your lives together in which case why not get married or you each go your seperate ways.

• No. I guess it's too early.

• Sure I would, if both of us wanted to!

• what does your heart tell you

• if your both planning on living in the same area and get good job oppurtunities. then I'd go for it

• its too early to decide but staying together during college is applauded!

• I don't believe in marriage. I could easily have the same relationship with someone that I'm not married to if not better that I would have with someone I'm married to. Sure, if I had kids with them our children would still be considered to have been born out of wedlock but most people aren't to bothered by that if you're good parents.

• well marriage is just signing a piece of paper anyways, you can behave that you're already married as a couple just haven't done the official court marriage yet...i would hold that off until you both have stable jobs, a house and car and money flowing in, because marriage can be financially challenging.

• depends...