My mother keeps asking if I'm getting serious with my boyfriend. What does she mean?

My mother has asked me several times recently if I'm getting serious with my boyfriend. I've been with him for 9 months and she knows that we're sleeping together. So what could she mean when she asks that?

As for the marriage idea wouldn't a ring be an indicator of that?

Most Helpful Guy

• She means if you're going to marry him.

What Guys Said 1

• do you want to get a ring from that guy? Because if you don't, and he will, Maaaan I would feel extremely bad for a guy who will propose.

• If he proposed I'd say yes in a heart beat. I love him. But I have no intention of actually getting married until I have my degree and have started my carrer. I want to be finanically stable starting a combined life with somebody (hopefully him). But that's still several years off.

• well in that case, all you have to do is wait and see what will happen in the future. I think it will get MUCH MORE clearer if he will propose or not in a year or two.

What Girls Said 5

• She might want to know if you guys plan on getting married.

• she wants to know if she should view him as a fling or as a possible son-in-law.

• Wow... that's so simple and reasonable. How did I miss that? Retorical question. Thank you.

• She's probably just worried about her little girl growing up. Perfectly normal...

• maybe she wants you to move out if you haven't done so already

• Nope moved out the day I turned 18. We weren't on the best terms then but patched things up when we had some distance. It works best for us to have our own spaces.

• i would personally just ask her, but I'm lucky that I'm very close to my mum

• Yeah I tried that and got "I just wanted to know if things were," insert grasping at straws hand motions, "you know serious."

Thusly I figured I'd ask some other people. My mother is not particularly articulate.

• marriage?