What is a good length of time to date someone before you even start to talk about marriage?

Most Helpful Guy

• I strongly believe that each relationship is different. One couple may be ready for marriage after only a year of dating, yet they next couple may need three years to get things together to make thing work. There are also the couples that can have a great relationship for a life time without ever getting married.

For me personally, If I were to ever get married I would say that it would happen with in the first four years. I am not saying that I will not stay with a girl longer then that if we do not get married, but I just think that if it is going to happen it will be in the first four years.

What Guys Said 3

• Good question. It should depend upon the state of your relationship, what age you are, and each of your life goals.

If you are already thinking about it, then one thing you can do is test the waters by talking about it in the hypothetical.

What I mean by that is instead of asking him if he's ever thought of marrying you, start by just asking him what his opinion about marriage is in general. It's better if you bring it up as part of some other conversation (perhaps about life goals), because he might get suspicious if you bring it up out of the blue.

You don't want to spook a guy into thinking you're expecting to marry him, but at the same time, it's never too early to look for hints on where he stands.

• I have a friend whose girlfriend asked "maybe they should get married" a week after they started dating. He thought it was a joke at the beginning but later she started threatening him. It's ok for me if a total stranger comes to me and says "let's get married" (which is kind of romantic and funny). But after that it all depends the circumstances.

• That probably depends, but for most guys, if you mention marriage in the first 6 months, he will be running away as quickly as possible.

What Girls Said 1

• It depends on the relationship you have. If you've known each other since childhood then you could wait a shorter time then 2 people who just met before they started dating.