Same sex marriage

I read in the news that California recently banned gay marriage. I am just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on gay marriage, Personally I think it is kind of weird and unnatural, but if oyu are gay then I'm not stopping you. I think same sex marriage should be legal, marriage is mariage, love is love. I am not really religious so I don't think you are the worst sinner if you are gay. As long as there have been men and women there have been gays. I just think they are occuring more often becuse it is more accepted in today's society and people aren't as afraid to "come out of the closet" as they used to be. So what do you think?

Most Helpful Girl

• This gets tricky. TECHNICALLY marriage and matramony is by and large is considered a religous institution that the states uphold to define a union between man and wife for tax purposes. And as Christianity is our main religion, the general rule is you are allowed to be gay, but not practice being gay. (weird, I know, right?) However, if you want to argue freedom of state from religion, than this shouldn't be an issue. Heck, if you don't want to get married by a priest you can get a licsence just the same, but as long as the masses say it is quasi religious and still man and wife, the state will uphold the will of the people. Good luck convincing the masses.

Personally, love is love to me and if gays want to marry they should be able to. Almost every family has one gay or bi member in their extended family, and why would you ever want to deny that person from living forever with the mate they find happiness in ifyou truly love them?

Many people argue they have the option of civil unions that they could take. My issue with civil unions, and my issue with gay and lesbians not being able to marry at all are mostly children and taxes. Children of gay and lesbian couples that they bring from previous marriages, or adoption have no protection if their parents split because the courts do not enforce it as a true relationship. If anything, they should be allowed to marry for their sake, as kids should always be loved or at the very least financially supported after a break up of their gaurdians. On top of that, a couple that is living together is a couple that is living together and if you are going to give a certain set of taxes to a strait pair I don't understand how they are spending that much more or less money than a gay pair. Either way there are two houses spending money with two couples, so the taxes should mach.

What Guys Said 5

• I think it is appalling that we still think we have the right to dictate who does and doesn't get equal treatment under the law.

There is a deeper issue here. There is no reason to oppose gay marriage other than religious beliefs. There is supposed to be a separation of church and state and logically, religious beliefs should not be reflected in the common law. We really need to step back and recognize that the infliction of religious values on the non-believer is a violation of their civil rights and has no place in a free society.

• I have my hands full directing my own life. I do not believe we should be legislating private behavior. As long as they are not trying to sign me up I don't care what the homosexual do. We need to get the Bible thumpers out of government, then maybe logic could dictate a bit more.

• I do not support it in any way shape or form. However, I also do not criticize those who want to live peacefully. If they are not bothering me, why should I bother them?

• Marriage has traditionally been defined as between a man and a woman. Scientifically same sex marriage doesn't even make sense. I mean, two men or two women can't procreate, and scientifically that's what marriage was designed for, to continue the population. Looking at it purely from a scientific standpoint there is really no such thing as same sex marriage. So even if you aren't religious, I can't see how it makes since. That being said, I am a Christian and I believe it is wrong, but even if you are a complete atheist and went by Darwinian principles it wouldn't even make since. We live in a free society and if you wanna be gay, go right ahead, there's no one stopping you. But by looking at the traditional definition of marriage, there is no such thing as same sex marriage.

• Silly me, I thought marriage was for two people in love. You say it is for producing children? Then shouldn't they legislate a time period in which couples must produce a child or the union be disvolved? Oh and shouldn't menopause then need to be reported so the marriage could be ended? I have heard gay couples can adopt children. Do you supose they should get a pass if they adopt a child?

• Looking at it from a legal point of view civil unions are fine but marriage is for religion and if the church not in favor of it than I say no.

• Civil Unions do not give the same legal benefits to the "spouse" so they are not "fine." Two people who wish to be together long term, call it marriage, civil union, or domestic partnership should have the same legal standing. Whatever happened to seperation of church and state? Because we live in a country where EVERYONE believes the exact same thing and there's no freedom of religion, we should all abide by the same terms of christianity. *note sarcasm*

What Girls Said 6

• Many who are opposed to gay marriages have the issue with what is the definition of marriage. I think everyone should and can co-exist with one another, people are people. We all have our differences and similarities. I personally don't care, as long as what they do doesn't harm people and same goes for straight people.

I'm not religious either, but I agree with left hand that religion and law are separate ideas, that seems to be a major issue with debates amongst people and there's a problem when these two things get mixed together. It's alright if they "come out of the closet", as long as they're not doing anything in front of me, same goes for straight people, I have no problem with it.

• 40 years ago it was illegal in some states to marry outside of your race. What kind of world do we live in that we cannot look into our past to avoid the same mistakes? This law will not prevail - history has proven that to us as well.

• go ahead gay people! I know some gay people at my school and they are f*****g awesome! they are sensative and some of the nicest people that you will ever meet! hahaha and you can check out guys without worrying if he will try to take him from you because if the other guy isn't gay then-- lol more power to them!

• i'm a christian and therefore am not for it. God created marriage for a man and a woman and condemns homosexuality in several places in the Bible.

• Just because something is 'unnatural' or 'different' doesn't mean it's wrong. Why should gays be told by others, who clearly aren't in the same situation, what they can and can't do. Seriously people just let them live their lives they are not doing anything to you. To those against gay marriage, how dare you impose your narrow-minded views on other people and tell them what's right and wrong!

• Honestly, I believe in man and women relationships but who am I to say that someone can't get married? I think that we all have the same rights, and we all have the same rate to choose who we love and who we marry and I think its wrong when people are rude to gay people. I would love to know how gay people are effecting others so much that makes some people hate gay people.