How long is "too long" to wait to get engaged?

my boyfriend and I have been through so much together. I met him when he was 18, I was 23. we ended up having a little girl together, then broke up for a while. we are back together now and are really happy. he is 22 and I'm 26 now. we are both having financial troubles atm, he got laid off and so did i. I do have a part time job and go to school, but he can't seem to find a job even though he has been trying like hell. so on July 29 of this year it will be four years we've been with one another. he is still young and says he wants to marry me but tells me he wants to wait until he has enough money to pay rent, support both of us and our daughter, and not be struggling. I totally understand. but I kinda feel weird being together for almost 4 years without being engaged yet. I'm not going to dump him if he doesn't propose soon. I'll wait for him because I love him so so much. but I was wondering, how long do YOU think is too long to wait?

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it all depends on the situation honestly, For example, I have been with my boyfriend for 3 years and we talk about getting married, but don't want to until we are at least 23 so that's at least 7 years..We are waiting so we know we really wanna spend forever together and have our lives set and stable. Your man is still pretty young, just take the time that you guys need and make sure you really wanna spend forever with him

What Guys Said 1

• Why ruin a good thing by getting married?

• lol good way of thinking

What Girls Said 2

• It's probably is a little long but he probably feels as if when he gets back on his feet he'l do it. He porbably wants to do it at the right time when he feels as if he can really support him and his family. So just be patient for a while and when he does it you might be so shocked you may cry tears of joy. So just be patient for a while longer.

• Sweetie, every situation is different. There's no time limit on getting engaged. Some people can spend 20 years together before finally getting engaged...and years after that before finally taking their vows.

Don't worry about it.

It'll come, one day when your both ready.