Renewing marriage vows?

Pagans and some other religions believe in marriage contracts that only last a few years. They are renewed like any other contract. Do you feel that marriages might be better off if they had a time period (say 7 years)?

People might be less likely to become complacent in their relationship and work towards keeping it healthy.

The seven year itch might give people a break before renewing their vows. Heck people might not get that itch if they know that the marriage has a lifespan.

People would less likely get divorce because it is costly and they might just want to wait it out.

So do you feel that marriages should be for life or be for a certain time span? And if so, how many years should it last?

Most Helpful Girl

• If you really loved someone wouldn't you want to spend the rest of your life with that person? and if you really are not going to get a divorced and you want the whole world to know you trust this person with your life, wouldn't you get married with that person.

People who don't get married don't get super close. That's how I feel. Maybe it is because I'm a Christian.

But no, I don't think you should be able to sign a contract that is only for a certain amount of years for a marriage. Marriage should be forever. And you can renew your vows as much as you want, every day, every single minute to each other if you want. No one is stopping you. That's what I say.

And if you really think you want to stay with someone just so that you can leave him or her whenver without all the problems... then do you really even love that person? HELLO? I mean, there's a lot with marriage that ties you even closer together. You both grow together saying "you are my husband, you are my wife" and you both can now say "your family is mine, my family is yours" and you can both tell the world proudly that you have made it official. You can both say to your future kids (if you do plan to have them) that you are husband and wife and your kids are born into a family. Not just a guy and a girl sleeping together, but a real family.

Ok, that's all I'm going to say.

What Girls Said 1

• the whole concept of marriage beats me. renew it or not, I don't know why people need a legal document to keep them together. if you love someone, be with them. if you stop loving them, leave them. no need to get the government involved.

• I completely agree.

• Well, your family, or maybe a designated friend? I don't know, but I don't think having someone to speak on your behalf if you're incapacitated is a good reason to get married. As for property, that's what a will is for.

• Where I live, it's your Power of Attorney for Property and your Power of Attorney for Personal Care.

If you don't have a Power of Attorney for Personal Care, it becomes your substitute decision maker, which is determined by a hierarchy, which I believe is: 1. spouse or partner; 2. child or parent; 3. brother or sister; 4. any other relative.

What Guys Said 1

• I think there's a reason that marriage is as it is now, and why pagans and "other religions" none that I'm aware of, are no longer practicing theirs.

Also when you get divorced what happens to the property? What happens to the kids? Etc, this just doesn't seem workable, though I see where the rate in divorce has you thinking outside the box.