Catholic church: trying to run our lives?

There are many many rules in the catholic church, like abstinence and such. Do you think the church is a little overboard with all these rules? Have you had sex before marriage and felt sinful afterward and afraid of going to hell? I am roman catholic before anyone calls me a Satan worshiper,and I'm interested in opinions.

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

• I believe that the church is simply there (or should be there,) simply to offer itself as a guide or teacher to I guess, to help establish some good morals. Why do you think religious people always have that " holy good image" if you will, because our religions generally help us to better ourselves as people.

Now, the issue comes, when people live their lives rule by rule, thought by thought, day by day, by every single rule and restriciton I guess the church sets. You are your own person, and therefore capable of making your own decisions. Look at the church as giving you more like suggestions on how to live, than regulations. It's you who ultimately processes these suggestions and decides which one's to live by. Don't restrict yourself to the church's perfect idea of a catholic; your a perfect catholic the way you are honestly. ( well I mean, unless your like a serial killler, rapist or something, then that kinda complicates things lol.)

Another thing; who is anyone to tell you your going to hell? Last time I checked, God and only God, was the one who cold make such a condeming judgement. Screw whoever told you that; and erase those thoughts; everyone sins every now and then - sex before marriage, yea it's not traditional, but your not suddenly this horrible awful person who deserves nothing good in life lol. Your human. Plain and simple. Shit happens - heat of the moment, maybe you really wanted it, whatever the reason.

I feel the issue with the church happens, when the church stops teaching, and rather enforcing. What I mean is, consider the catholic ideal on abortion; they don't like it right? So now it's become illegal in several states because of the church enforcing it's will and beliefs on people. So suddenly, if your Pro - Choice, you aren't a true catholic because yada yada yada. Some chick told me that and I laughed in her face. The point is, God blessed you with logical though right? So use it. Don't let the church dictate how you live every aspect of your life, you dictate that.

What honestly matters is who you are as a whole; I've met incredible atheist with a good head on their shoulders and good values / morals - why? Because you dictate the type of person you'll be, not the church, not your religion, not anything else. So, it's not so much the Catholic church trying to run your life - it's your mindset that they somehow run your life.

Anyone can go to church, really; but it's the individuals who think for themselves with good reasoning, and spirit, that establish true values and morals within themselves.

What Guys Said 12

• Catholic church is with the pope right? I was watching a documentary on the Vatican and many priests were talking about how the bible is not mean't to be taken literally and nobody would really spend spend eternity in hell for committing a sin

The pope allowed condoms for 'exceptional' cases to preven the risk of infection, they even have a Vatican observatory and said they were wrong and ashamed of what they did to scientists like Galileo

I just think some people(mainly Americans) follow it to the book and belueve everything is a fact and is applicable today when it doesn't need to be

Or you can be an atheist

• Wow, that's very interesting. Thanks for the response :)

• No, it was a BBC show 'Inside: The Vatican' and that part of 'Religulous'

I'll watch that one though

• oh nice, thanks. I downloaded it from icefilms.net :P

• Not neccessarily, something I have found and no offense intended but according to statistics 1 in 3 US Catholics believe the bibile is the literal word of God, which in itself goes completely against the Catholic churches teachings. The Bible is full of symbols and metaphors that are not meant to be taken literally, the Bible when read literal goes against the allagorical meanings intended to be written which to be fully understood should be studied.

The Church has never held these laws as a doctrine. And when one views the Bible in its proper context and uses it as the Church has set forth from the beginning, then there is no problem reconciling such scriptural texts with the scientific advances or laws that are written. The Bible was not created as historic narrative nor as a science report and we must interpret it in light of Apostolic Tradition, it’s context, and in communion with the Magisterium of the Church. The majority of Catholics outside of the US understand the scripture in greater detail of what they are intended to convey and not literal meaning which destroys the metaphorical meanings. You should really read up from one of Karen Armstrongs books for greater detail.

• As a former Catholic, I agree. I think the church is an archaic and prudish institution that largely deals in guilt and shame. Leaving it, I think, was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

• Btw, when I said "I agree" it was to the notion that they've gone overboard. I don't think they're purposefully ruin lives. They have good intentions, they're doing what they think is right. I just abjure their beliefs and teachings.

• Oops. I guess I should have read the question a little closer. I thought it said "ruin" not "run" our lives.

• Lol :)

• The Church has always held those teachings. I think cultural changes are what we need to look at here when asking if the Catholic Church has "gone overboard".

I think any organization to which you dedicate a large part of your life and influences how you think and act, be it church, a job, club/organization, family, etc. can be thought of as "running your life".

• Correction: the Church has always taught that sex should be saved for marriage, not necessarily that you'll go to hell for it. Sorry!

• Yet sex before marriagein Catholic theology is a mortal sin ( if my memory serves me right ) which, if not confessed and absolved for, would result in damnation were you to perish.

• Yes, BUT what if a priest is not available? In extreme cases where someone is near death, but a confessor cannot be reached, they are ultimately at the mercy of God at that point (which is a different discussion for a different site).

• I'm a satan worshipper and I agree with you

• I'm an atheist and I totally don't give a f*ck about some priests telling me how to live just because it was written in a fairy tale book.

• Well your an exception, lol :)

• My opinion is that these rules are found in nearly all churches. Yes the Catholic church does promote abstinence very much, but so do evangelical churches and to be honest most other churches do as well, just not as much. I think this is because it's a rule created by god, not the church. The Bible does talk about saving sex for marriage, but at the same time, fornication doesn't damn one to hell unless they aren't forgiven. As for being archaic, I think Catholics (I myself am a devout Catholic), think we are a little more tolerant that a lot of protestant churches on a lot of issues, but we always stand firm on what we believe

• There were several questions in that so I'm not sure which one the pole was meant to answer. But yeah the church seeks to control using fear, nothing new there darling.

• Duh?

• They are not the churches rules they are God's rule.

• Religion: Trying to run our lives.

• No. Since when did you you have to follow those rules?

What Girls Said 8

• I think in part, but I feel that there are a lot of religions other than catholic that try to run our lives. I have run into my fair share of people from different religions and some people who are very devout believe that their way of thinking is the only way. They have a right to their opinion but I just wish the ones who tried to push their beliefs on other people would just think about it, and have some respect for others around them.

But I do agree with what you are saying. A lot of laws we have in America and Canada are based around Christianity. So it is kind of like they are running our lives. It was only 50 years or so ago that women had access to birth control, which allowed women to have reproductive control. This helps people also to have pre-marital sex. And there was opposition to that when it came in, as there is for abortion laws, death penalty, and even our own personal rights and freedoms. Just look at how hard it is for people to legalize gay marriage. I mean it is kind of silly, but at the same time it is their right to have their opinions, but should it govern us all? I don't know...

• Pretty much the main purpose of organized religion is to control people.

But, I would think that if you believe in your god/religion, you'd want to follow those rules because you believe that they're your god's rules. If you don't believe they're your god's rules, why would you follow that religion?

• I grew up in a Roman Catholic family and when I was younger it really seemed like there were all of these rules that were being forced upon me and I hated it. I felt like every time that I went to church I was being told who to be and when to be that person. I was forced to go to catechism every Sunday until I finally just told my family that I wasn't ready and didn't want to go. All hell broke loose but eventually people accepted this. I went through the atheist phase, then the agnostic phase. I went through all these different phases, read about a million and two different religions around the world, until finally I realized that I wanted to be catholic.

I know this turned into bit of a ramble but once I decided for myself that I wanted to be Catholic, the rules didn't seem to bad because the person I thought they were forcing me to be is the person I, in a way, want to be. I cannot say that I am the perfect catholic, I believe things that go against my religion. When I first decided that I wanted to be catholic and I went through confirmation and all that jazz I felt extremely guilty for wanting or believing in things that were defined by the church as immoral and a sin. But with finding myself and my faith I began to realize that there is a balance that you should try to achieve.

I do believe that some of the things the church has chosen to uphold from the bible and the other stuff that they have dismissed is ridiculous. For example gay marriage is still forbidden but you we no longer stone women who aren't virgins when they marry. I am not saying that we should stone women but I am saying that they are both ridiculous and the fact that only one has been dismissed is confusing to me. I believe in gay marriage, because I believe in love. I also believe that God would want to people in love, who better each other, to be together as well. I mean in the end I have all of these things that I have learned to be right and wrong morally and religiously and I uphold the things that I feel and know to be right

I think that the church is a bit messy when they draw the lines and when I cross those lines I do feel bad and I feel ashamed but I get rid of this by confessing.

I think that there is this grand and quite ridiculous idea, not exclusive to Catholicism, but Christianity in general that we have to be these perfect people and it is crazy. My church is a bit different, and from what I have been told by my Priest and Deacon that we are allowed to sin. We should make the valued effort to stray away but so long as you go to reconciliation, and acknowledge what you did wrong and make the effort to repair your relationship with God then you are not going to hell. I believe that God understood that we are all going to sin, henceforth Jesus, and that when we sin we turn our backs on the love of God but when we acknowledge our sin it is OK. T is really confusing but I think you should strive for the balance between concerning what is right to you

• I'm Roman Catholic and the way I choose to look at it is that I've been brought up a certain way and yknow, if there's one thing I can do is be true to what I know. I went to an Opus Dei run school and they give excellent foundation. It's one of the best schools in my country. However, I started to really find myself after I finished my O-levels. In the sense that, my school really was about abstinence and doing the morning, noon, evening, night prayers. I went for spiritual retreats. About two years ago I was thinking of joining Opus Dei and devote my life to God. Then I left the school and I started to think on my feet and I realize now that I was too sheltered in school to make an objective decision. In my opinion, the Catholic Church realizes the need to push people to be the best they can be in the eyes of God. I admit, I have found myself in the confessional out of fear of death and going to hell, but the more meaningful confessions are those where I realize God isn't happy with me and I gotta make things right. just like it is with your friends. You mess up, you gotta fix it. So no I don't think that the church is overboard. You're not damned to hell if you do something because someone interpreted the Bible a certain way...no one knows that. It's totally your choice to do with your life what you want to. You don't want to do something just because the church says not to. The most important thing is your relationship with God. And that way, I strongly believe that no matter the kind of life you lead, as long as you're true to God you shouldn't worry.

• I believe that Catechism is more about your relationship with God.

I go to church every week and every Holy Day of Obligation, but I don't go there to be told what to believe and what to do.

I go there to strengthen my relationship with God. Call me delusional, but I really do feel something with Him in my life.

Let me tell you this: Before I turned to God, I was a total mess, a complete disaster who had depression and could barely carry on with life.

I'm a Catholic because of my dedication to God, not because I shake Bibles in others' faces and force them to believe what they don't want to. That is their decision.

My decision is to be close to God and at the same time, follow what my heart tells me. I believe and do what I feel is right, not because someone tells me to.

For example (again, this is an example): I'm against abortion, but I support gay marriage.

I'm against abortion because I believe it's wrong, but I support gay marriage because I believe it's right.

Believe what you want to and follow your guts. Strengthen your relationship with God and don't ever let anyone else tell you who you are.

• Religion is about living a sin free lifestyle.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with the rules so long as they are not illegal. Religion exists for a reason. Don't like it? Convert to another religion or become spiritual or how about this, live your life the way you want to.

• lol, don't do something you don't want to do. If you want to have sex, then go have it. Not everything that is preached is right. Am also a catholic

• This 2011 hun. The protestant reformation occurred in the 16th century.

• Well hun, I am interested in OPINIONS as stated in my question. Please pay attention to details, or go back to elementry.