Why does my ex girlfriend what her engagement ring back?

Me and my ex have been apart for a year and 6 months now. Yesterday she texted me asking me if she gave me the engagement ring back, as she been looking for it. So I told her she did give me it back, but she asked me if she could have it back. I asked her why, and she said because she thought it was hers. I just don't understand why after so long she's just asked me out of the blue. Plus I don't understand why she's asked me as she's seeing someone now and she knows how much the ring means to me.

Well she dumped me. But we wasn't engaged at the time, as I never asked her. So I never gave her the ring in the first place
I phrased it "asked for it back" as when she kicked me out she put it with all my other stuff. But now has asked if she can have it

Most Helpful Girl

• It's not hers, it's yours, so she is not entitled to it.

Even if you had asked her to marry you and given it to her, an engagement ring is a contract, not a gift. It's given to a person under the condition that they will marry you. If the marriage is called off, the person is not entitled to keep the ring, it should be returned to the person that bought and gave it.

What Girls Said 3

• Well since you bought it and never gave it to her, it's actually yours. Besides that, if she was the one who broke up with you then she doesn't deserve it. I have no idea why she would ask for it now after a year and a half.

• Wow that's bold of her. She has no right to the ring. I don't know why she would want it, it's defiantly not hers.

• maybe she needs money and wants to sell it

What Guys Said 5

• Did you break off the engagement or did she? If you broke it off (or if you cheated while you were engaged) then she's supposed to keep the ring. If she broke it off (or if she cheated while you were engaged), you are supposed to get the ring back.

• As memory of the relationship, likes the look of it or to sell it

I wouldn't give it

• Because unless she dumped you or called off the engagement, it's hers.

She was probably talking to some girlfriends who put her up to it, you know how they can be when they get together.

• Then it's not her ring. If she dumped you, you'd be a fool to give it to her now.

• If it was never in her possession, why did you phrase the question as 'she asked for it back'?

• Yup, she needs money. Tell her you sold it so you could take your new girl on vacation.