Why do people say they're Christian and still have sex?

Are you one of these people, what's your reasoning?

Do you just pick and choose what you believe from the Bible?

Isn't "no sex before marriage" one of the big ones? like, if you don't follow it you go to "hell" ?

Help me understand.

Today, I think identifying yourself as a Christian is identifying your culture rather than your religion.

Hear me out, Say you come from an Italian family and they're Catholic, so you associate yourself with Christianity only because you come from a big Christian family.

But you don't give it a second thought, it's just what you come from but not necessarily what you 'believe' and you just do whatever you want anyway.

Most Helpful Guy

• I think the bible lays out a guide to a healthy lifestyle in both nutrition and life time choices

-We shouldn't eat pork (as pork has been found to contain high quantities of trichinella which can actually shorten life spans and the bible writes of why its bad and similar to human flesh)

- the 10 commandments are there to guide people but many don't fully take them into account as its hard for many to follow all of them.

The bibile isn't literal though, this is the huge mistake many people make, it was designed to have 2 meanings but I see the writings as rules of guidence to follow not what we have to, humans are imperfect

What Guys Said 4

• i love this question! Its because all organized religion is joke. Its full of hypocrites

• Okay, can you explain what's so hypocritical about the Christian religion? I've seen some people be hypocrites, but that's rare. And a lot more people who aren't even religious are hypocrites so...

• lol you answered your own question. Religion is merely a suggestion. Also I follow no religion and I honestly believe I live my life better then many "church goers". I'm agnostic if that helps to explain my view. Do on to others as you want to be done to you. That is all the guidance I need

• Well, you didn't provide me a reason as to why the church was hypocritical in the first place, so I just elaborated on my view lol

And that's totally cool - that's what one of the central teachings in the christian church too. I guess some people stick to religions because they need the extra guidance, I don't know - lol sorry for the rant, it's just people always makes these assumptions about christians and I'm like, seriously people?

• Because God made sex - and he made sexy people like me. question answered. this thread is over.

• Because they can

• Because sex isn't a sin.

What Girls Said 9

• Because we're human too?

The bible says to be married before engaging in sexual activity; it's more of a suggestion. To provide that more intimate sacred bond / experience between the two who are wedded. I agree people should wait, but Christians can sin just as much as any other person. Just because we're Christian doesn't make us any less free - willed than those who are not.

As far as going to hell - I'm not God, so I don't know what dictates who goes where when it's all said and done.

But if people are condemned for every little sin we do - all our asses are going to burn then...

• Yea. I never understood this either. I think it's a load of crap for someone to claim they're Christian and consistently do things they shouldn't. Sure there are people who need to work on themselves, but others just don't care at all. It's annoying and I believe in God, but refuse to call myself a Christian since I don't follow the "rules" in the big book of everything. (:

• well I think that makes a lot of sense. people shouldn't be sleeping with people they're not married to just because it's not really a good Idea. I think that ideology is designed to protect people physically and emotionally. I think it's best to be with one person all your life for really obvious reasons. it's a sin I guess because God doesn't want people to do something they will regret later in life. people don't follow that because we're selfish, impulsive and ignorant.

• Thank you. "we're selfish, impulsive and ignorant." that is so true. People have no self control.

• religion is open to interpretation.

• I am a Christian and I love sex. God is forgiving. That's the whole thing with this religion, I can mess up as many times as I do and I just ask for forgiveness.

It is in the Bible that humans are made as sexual beings- God cause us hormones and a libido, so if you mess up because you don't have enough self control due to the chemicals God put in your body, you just ask for forgiveness.

One more thinggg- can you give me a verse on when Adam and Eve got married before they f***ed and had kids?

• Well to be fair...if you ask that then here are some others to ask...

Why do christians work on the sabbath?

why do they lie?

why do they believe jesus was raised from the dead?

why do they believe the red sea was parted?

The answer to all of the above- Christianity and it's rules are all a man mad joke! Why live your life waiting for something to happen that will never happen? I.e jesus coming back to earth! People are only human and they hide behind the bible because they are scared of just being them selves and enjoying life as it comes day to day...intead of living life for a make believe god that will never put you in a wonderful place called heaven.

• Well, you say God is a concept of man but others may think man is a concept of God.

As for Jesus returning, how do we know? might happen, might not.

I don't think they're hiding behind the Bible, they just follow it because they believe it to be the truth. And God is not make believe to them.

• oOsweetonessOo I'm reading your comments too and I'm pretty much in agreement with what you're saying.

• @QA

Yea you too :)

• I've noticed that also. I have some friends who call themselves Christians, yet they have sex before marriage, don't agree with homosexuality, and curse like sailors. Aren't Christians supposed to wait until they're married to have sex. And in the Bible doesn't "God" say everyone is good and "He" made everyone the way they are. And aren't they supposed to not curse?

• oh I know! the Bible does a good job at contradicting itself.

I'm a Christian and I agree with homosexuality so what does that make me? SO confusing!

• Good plan. There's no use fighting about something that cannot be proven.

• Thanks. That's exactly what I thought.

• Also, why do people say that they're Christians and still eat shellfish?

• True, but that's not one of the "big ones" if you get what I mean. like, it's not pushed.

• believe pre-marital sex is a sin, but choose to do it anyway. Just as people believe lying is a sin, but still lie, for example. There are probably many who justify it because they believe that even though they consider it a sin, God will forgive them.

• Very true. And if you consider this, not lying is a commandment yet pre-marital sex is not, so is lying a greater sin or should be obeyed to a much greater extent than pre-m sex? When I actually think pre-m sex has much greater consequences than lying...so 'importance' is rather skewed in my opinion. I could really use a priest to argue this with.

• I am not a Christian but I have noticed that most so called Christians are hypocrites. I am guessing you are not one of the hypocrites by your question.

• No I'm not, but I'm not sure it's 100% because I'm a Christian. I think it's because I don't really want to. So I'm just interested in other people's reasoning.