Is it too late to settle down at this age?

So I'm 34. I have been told that once you are past 30, women are placed on the shelf for marriage. Is this really true?

Most Helpful Girl

• No. Back in the old days people were really funny about this & called women old maids, etc. after a certain age & they did "put them on the shelf" in most cases, but things have changed DRASTICALLY. The only time a woman usually finds a problem with a guy due to her age these days is IF he wants biological children & she's past child bearing age or if he prefers young women of a certain age range only---in either case, if you don't fit that bill he's not "the one" for you anyways. Have fun continuing your hunt. :)

What Guys Said 4

• Not at all. My mom didn't even have me (first child) until she was 35 although she was married to my dad for a dozen years before that. Yes there is less time for you to settle down, but tomorrow there will be less time as well. True love can be found at any age.

• No, women are certainly marriageable well past 30. What concerns me is when a woman is 35 or older and has never been married- it really makes me wonder why... and I'm not sure I would want to be involved with her.

• Why, what does that tell you about her?

• I don't know, but there are women out there who are players without any intentions of having a serious relationship. Or she may have some serious issues that have caused every one of her relationships to self destruct. Something must be wrong... I know I can't say this is necessarily true in all cases, but it seems awfully strange to me.. Now, if she has been married before, then I'm not so worried.

• See I'm not a player. Just a late bloomer. I didn't really start to understand anything about guys till I was in my mid 20's. (I was very sheltered growing up).

• what? hahaha I am 40 and may still want marriage. Is the old person's home ten years away?

• It's different for women... think about it, she's made it to 34 without being in a serious relationship... I doubt that she's been celibate.

• how do we know that she has never been in a serious relationship? and it's not so different. I wanted to marry a 44 year old last year or the year before. And she had kids(never been married either). Would it be easier for a woman with no kids to marry? Aren't people having kids later in life these days anyways? I really think that maybe 46- 49 really really is too late to start a family and get married. I know that it is old but it is being done more all the time even at those ages.

• Lol, it's not too late. We marry nowadays through choice not from necessity, the only guys that will agree with your statement above are ones that know f*** all about relationships and tell you that you're "used goods" or unmarriageable - ignore them they're insecure and inexperienced BOYS not men. 7gnat has the right idea, there are some decent ones out there ;O)

• No. My mom is 50 and has a boyfriend. I think it's over 3 years. I don't pay attention to it.

What Girls Said 6

• Definitely not. It may have been true in the past, but these days it's much more common for women to get married much later than they used to. If you think about women now having university and postgraduate degrees, their own careers, and generally an independent life, if makes sense that we're not getting married at 18 anymore.

The only men who would think that a woman is past her prime in her thirties are still of the mindset that a woman needs to be with a man to have a life, that a woman who isn't already married must be a man-hater or have some deep rooted flaws that make her undesirable.

Luckily most men don't have that kind of mindset these days.

• absolutely not, the fact some of us have not married yet into our 30's is proof of poor quality suitors out there. ie men want whores when in their 20's & 30's,they don't mature til much later, if a woman is not that way inclined it's a good thing. Shows you're not easily manipulated nor do you settle for someone purely for companionship, "protection" or reliant on someone financially. I'm single and intend on staying so purely for my own reasons and background, doesn't mean I haven't been in a meaningful relationship for over 8 years.

Watch out some of the less intelligent GaG guys will try to play on your insecurities in order to justify misogynist views and so that they do not have to address their own flaws and shortcomings as human beings.

• It's never too late :)

• Noooo, my professor didn't get married until she was like 37.

• no, it's not too late.

• That is ridiculous. There are 70 years old people who get married. It's all about companionship which should be seeked at all ages. Age is just a number. It's what you feel inside is what matters.