Will he propose?

I have been with my boyfriend for 6 years. We have lived together for 5 1/2years. We have a house, bills vehicles, and two businesses together. We are happy together but he hasn't ever asked the big question. I'm getting impatient which I know is not right. We have talked about marriage before but it never goes anywhere and the subject changes. Will he ever propose?

Most Helpful Girl

• Read the book "He's just not that into you". If he wants to marry, he WILL ask but it doesn't sound like he does really. You're only 24 at most so you're too young to get married anyway-I'd hardly blame him for putting the subject off. Wait until you're around 28 to get married.

I agree with Irish girl-Marriage could wreck your relationship. Marriage is not the same as living together. It's not even about love. Its about committment and responsibility. Staying with them til you die-or else divorce. Its tough. Are you ready for that? Incidentally I'm Irish too. (funny how we share exact same views lol). Nobody in Ireland gets marrried at 24 or less. Well they could but it would be slightly odd. It definitely is like career in your 20s for women, marriage in late twenties/early thirties and then kids (if she wants them) and then juggling kids with family or else just being a real career focused person. Its been proven that if you get married young, its statistically more likely to end in divorce. I know America is different with the marriage thing though.

What Guys Said 2

• There are several good answers to your question listed below, I won't try to improve on them. Instead I will ask you to do a bit of self examination. You say you are happy, so why is it that you want too change things? I can of course think of valid reasons why you might want to marry, but I do not know your situation. One thought I would throw out is that there is absolutely know reason why you could not propose to him. Some of us males are just awfully slow to get around too things.

• Holy shit! Yeah, it is definitely time to get married. I wonder what is taking him so long?

• After living together for 5.5 years, you really need talk about marriage. Is there anyway you can prevent the subject from being changed?

Marriage is more than a piece of paper. It would change the relationship both emotionally and legally. Suppose one of you get sick, would the other person be able to assist in medical decisions? Are there kids invovolved?

What Girls Said 6

• your realtionship seems grand as it is why change something that's perfectly fine if you got married it could ruin you two. and you basically are like married you just don't have the paper to say so and will a piece of paper really make you a better couple?doubt it

• Well, it is very different. I'm in about the same situation; we've lived together for almost five years, and marriage is something wee've talked about but is always pushed into the future. Some are afraid the change will be too much, and some are happy with the way things are. I, personally, am of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" category. It will happen when it should. Who knows? he might already know exactly when he wants to take that final step, and it just still be in the future. Or, he could be like me and think that marriage isn't as important as a good, solid relationship.

• I would suggest you don't push the subject... personally from the times I have seen this happen before, as soon as two people who already have an established relationship together get into marriage it actually breaks them up. I think you should ask yourself if marriage is crucial, if you already live together, have businesses cars bills etc, you are pretty much settled in a marriage type relationship, most men would see it that way too... he may not see it as important because you already have it. Be happy to have him rather than getting a piece of paper.

• good suggestions from others. I hope you have appropriate paperwork on file for survivorship rights, living will etc. since you are so entwined. Perhaps you could bring that paperwork up if you do not have it and tell him you have to have some legal protection etc. if you two are not married. His response will tell you everything you need to know.

• talk abt it. if not just ask him! whoever said women couldn't propose.

maybe he just likes the way things are, I mean, you basically are married, all that's going to be dif. is a rock on your finger and papaers stating he's your husband.. just talk abt it :)

good luck and happy 2009 :)

• I believe that you should ask for marriage,papers and deeds are crucial when it come to times like these.Things do seem to be fine and that's great. YET sugar may be sweet but not always good for you.As a matter of fact if you guys are doing so well then he wouldn't at all mind marriage since he know already yall make a great team.You and him already are prospering together so I adamantly think that he will definitely marry you.It may seem corny but you can propose to him.God Bless!