Girls: would you be with a man if you knew he would never marry you?

If an man was clear from the begining that he wouldn't marry you and that he was never having kids, wuld you be OK with that?

Seems like every one equaites long term with getting married. Why isn't it enough to just be in a long term relationship? Why do you need some ritual?

Most Helpful Girl

• Yep, that would be fine. I don't need a piece of paper and pretty dress to validate my relationships (no offence to those who are in favour of marriage, this is my own view).

I agree with you. I don't see why getting married is seen as the only way to show that you are committing to someone long term. So long as he made it clear that he wanted me for more than the immediate future (once we got to that stage) then I would be fine with that. Realistically I doubt I'd get married unless it was something my partner wanted.

What Girls Said 14

• Yes and no. I dated the love of my life for a solid 4 years before throwing in the towel and finding another man to marry. The marriage didn't work out and I've been back with the man who will never marry me for 5 years now. Marriage has little weight now. :)

• Honesty, probably not. I'm 21 and don't see myself getting married for at least 5 years, but I do want to get married. I'm starting to get more serious with my relationships because if they become committed and long term, I know I'm going to want marriage and I want my boyfriend and me to be on the same page.

I know I want to get married, so why would I spend time become emotionally invested in a person if I knew they didn't want a serious future with me?

• no, but I'd appreciate the honesty. The goal of relationships to me, is to eventually marry and have a family with the person I love

• no I wouldn't be with him. but I would respect his honesty

• No I wouldn't. I would be fine with not getting married if agrees to stay in a monogamous longterm relationship, although honestly things are a lot easier if your married, taxes decrease... . But ya I'd be fine with that but I'm not fine with not having children, I'm want them and there's no point in dating a man that doesn't

• I wouldn't, because I feel it would just be a waste of time or I'd miss finding and being with someone who I could potentially marry. I wouldn't be against going on a casual date, but nothing long term.

• Well, I guess I took you saying "If an man was clear from the beginning that he wouldn't marry you" that he himself wasn't looking for anything with a long commitment. Like just a fling. on that note, I'd have a hard time feeling a connection because I feel like they put up walls before we even started to know each other. With your update though, I could see myself being okay not being "married" formally, seeing that I think it's more for religious people anyway.

• Ok yeah I guess my meaning might not have been getting across before. But yeah I didn't mean just hooking up. I meant being togeather as if being married but not actually getting married.

• nope.

i'd eventually like to get married and have a family. Though I'd be happy he was upfront about this, instead of continuing the relationship knowing there's no future

• So without marriage or kids, its pointless to you?

• pretty much... if we're already on different ends of the spectrum on marriage and kids and he's very sure about his decision, why would I stay? It's only gonna be frustrating to me

• I wouldn't care, I don't really wanna get married unless the guy really wants to, and I don't want children so its great if my guy doesn't either.

• I was out of the relationships in the past if I didn't love him and want to marry him after a few months. I knew what I was looking for and I refused to settle, now I'm married to the man who I KNOW 100% is my soulmate. No I would never stay with a man who wouldn't marry me. I always wanted to be married and I refused to give up on that.

• was with a guy for 2 and a half years when he finally said he didn't wana ever get married. now that we are broken up he has been chasing me for 5 months and says he understands why I believe in marriage. my answer would be no

• Yes that would be fine.

• Why should I want to waste my time? I am not into just for fun,thanks.

• I don't see it as a waste of time. I don't see why you can't be with someone without being married.

• Hmm k..

• Yes, I would.

• I'm in that situation and I'm still with him. I've always thought that I'd get married to the man of my dreams some day. It's still something that I really want, but my boyfriend said he probably never wants to get married. As disappointing as it would be to not have my wedding day, it would be even more disappointing to not spend the rest of my life with the man of my dreams. Being with him matters more than just having a ring on my finger. As long as I have him, I'm not letting go, marriage or not.

What Guys Said 0