Polygamy, are men meant to have more then one wife?

are men meant to have more then one wife. I was watching this show called "sister wives" and this guy has 4 wives. he mentioned the bible saying that a lot of men back then had more then one wife. so my question is. are men really meant to have more then one wife? I don't think so myself because most men can't even handle one women just think about 4.

Most Helpful Guy

• Well within the Bible there isn't really any mention of polygamy... although! during the writing of Genesis it was quite common practice for men back than to have more than one wife but generallly only the really wealthy. By the beginning of the first century, although not condoned... polygamy was relatively rare so kinda seems like most people just didn't want it? The quran on the other hand mentions how its OK to have up to 4 wives under the right circumstances... Not quite sure If I agree with that but honestly. If every American guy married 1 woman, there would still be 25 million women left who wouldn't have a partner, well even less considering about 10% of them would be gay so closer to around 30 million. So to some extent I guess it is better for some?

Emotionally I don't think you can really appreciate and love more than one woman, it just seems too much of a hassle and unrealistic relationship and you couldn't really just dedicate yourself to one person. Physically assuming the woman had at least average sex drives, most men couldn't handle that much to please them all. I think men are mean't to have just 1 woman in my opinion

What Guys Said 4

• Meant to? No I don't think so. Monogamy has worked well for humans seeing as we still do it. And the ratio of men to women is basically even so it makes sense to have 1 to 1

• idk about that

im pretty sure there are a lot more women then men

• It's very nearly even. The percentages actually have a bit more women (like 50.1% women 49.9% men or something) because women live longer.

• Men benefit from a monogamous marriage and women benefit more from polygamy.

• even though some cultures and religions allow it...it doesn't mean its a good idea...hell...its not even a idea to have one for some ppl

• Certain religions allow for more than one wife.

What Girls Said 4

• Some men have 1 that they can't even handle lol. back then things were different and women's needs and wishes werent really cared about. some major religions are like this too. I don't think most guys would want multiple wives but I'm sure some wouldn't mind the idea of multiple women to have sex with, do laundry and take care of him.

• yeah I agree. when it comes to sex men can't have enough women but when it comes to the mental and emotional part that's when I think it becomes a problem.

(off topic..you are pretty are you part asian)

• oh that's not me lol it's tae heckard, she is 1/2 korean I think

• lol well she pretty

• Bible? I think you mean the qu'ran... The bible, I haven't read it but I've been tol by my parents and the church, that men and women should be devoted to ach other and that cheating is sinful... But in islamic religion, men can have more than 1 wife but no more than 5, and he must be able to support his wives and hildren or else it is a sin

• well moses had two wives.

and the kings and phararohs had more then one wife..

• Also the kings and pharaohs were not believing in one God, they were following multiple Gods, so I doubt they had a rule on limiting wives. They could have had one queen and tons of concubines.

• well the kings a phararohs had more then one wife lots of times

• "Meant to have"? No, I don't think so. Back then (during the time of kings & Queens) royalty did it (it may be an excuse) to preserve the thrown. They need to have lots of kids (boys) in order for the family to stay royalty.

In the bible, all it says is "Man & Woman were mean to be together" that is all it says. It says nothing about "marriage" in particularly.

• There is no such thing in Bible,but in Quran yes.Islam allowed their men to marry 4 wives if they afford to support them.

• why disagree without giving any reason?

• Some people just don't like the answers of anonymous user, I guess :-P

• I stated something true about polygamy but apparently one person hurt reading it.To me people who disagree without giving any reason is super coward or afraid to have some healthy argument:)