Would it be wrong for a brother to marry his adopted sister?

I mean they aren't related so it's OK right? What would make it wrong in your eyes if you think that?

Do you ultimately care if a bro and adopted sister did this?

Most Helpful Girl

• This is such a hard question... the answers we find in these type questions usually come from gut instinct. We are naturally disgusted by the idea of brothers and sisters shagging. Related or not.

Strictly biologically speaking, I have a problem with any family members having sex. And instinctively am disgusted by the notion... but in this situation, there is no biological connection and so therefore biologically, okay it's fine. But is that really the only reason we are disgusted by it, why it rarely happens?

I still have a problem with it. I still have a problem with non biological siblings mating. Perhaps I worry that the one child, depending on age difference, began inappropriate gestures to one of the younger children while growing up, that I did not see? I believe if I was the parent I might feel that I may have disrupted the natural experiences for my children's growing up, by allowing another, unrelated child to become so close to them and allowing feelings to be confused. I probably would never be able to know, at what age either of the children began to affected the other and what, if any psychological damage, could have been done.

Then there is the case of brothers and sisters separated by birth, coming together, and then falling in love, biologically wrong, however, they are both consenting adults, without ever being put in a situation that could have harmed either one of them during, their development into adulthood. Taking away the fact that any children could be born with serious defects, how can we truly say that these two people are doing something wrong? As long as they don't risk inflicting damage on anyone else what is the harm?

This topic often comes up when debating Muslims, discussing homosexuality, and it's hard to explain to people that believe the world is black and white, right and wrong, that the morality behind homosexuality is a lot more cut and dry than incest and all the reasons that it can and can not be considered moral.

• Thank you

• I think that aided with the title of the question even an American can figure out my English slang? ;)

• Don't be too sure about that, seriously, I get people asking me to 'translate' what I've said quite a bit. Our English ain't the same pal, just ain't the same :)

What Girls Said 11

• The thought makes me a little uncomfortable, but there really is nothing wrong with it.

I plan on adopting lots of kids when I get older, I'm not sure I would be comfortable with them ever "getting together." I'd raise them to be family... so.. I don't know :P

As long as its consented, I'm all for it-- maybe I'm clinging to the "not in my backyard" perspective, but... hm.

• I suppose that'd be okay. I can't imagine people developing those kinds of feelings after being raised as siblings. It's possible, though, and that's fine by me.

• Yes, but No.

There isn't a bloodline connection.

There is a family bond...it is sort of like a boy and girl grewing up as best friends and getting married. The oly odd thing is the parents may think of the adopted child...as thier own...but you being the "supposed sibling" thinks otherwise.

• it depends on how long they knew each other. if the brother was adopted when he was a baby then it would be weird because they grew up knowing each other as brother and sister even if they don't share genes. but if the adopted sibling came into the family late and when they were older, it would still be weird, but understanable since they never had that brother and sister connection theyre whole life and instead found love through it

• I think it is because they are legally sibs. They were hopefully raised to believe this & bond this way. If they started having the jones for each other, chances are, they would have done so for a natural sib.

GET SOME HELP! YOU'RE NOT RIGHT! Professionally speaking.

• hes talking about me thank you

• I didn't think it was Kain, & really wasn't addressing it to him. I was addressing it to who ever it was that it pertained to. I believe that you are siblings. If you don't, that's your biz, so you probably shouldn't ask other folk's opinions & just do what you want to. Just d/c it with your parents & be ready for the fallout from society, because it will happen. But you know that.

• umm my parents are fine with it they know about it as do the rest of my family, and if their there for me then I don't need anyone else

• ugh yeah

• I think it is a bit weird. They are suppose to be brother & sister, not lovers.

• it's not wrong, but I don't think I would marry or even date an adopted brother.

• Uhhh...well if they're not blood,then I guess its ok...

• I do think that is wrong to a certain point.. but if they want to do it then let em

• Imo yea its creepy, ecspecially if they grew up together.

What Guys Said 10

• No it's not wrong, but it's not really socially acceptable

I couldn't care and they can do what they want

• Isn't when a man and a woman fall in love they become family? They were raised together so it adds a level of oddity to it but at the same time these two folks could bump into each other under other circumstances and nobody would look twice.

The mental burden is theirs to bare, if they can take the stigma of those less accepting of things than I am then more power to them. Good luck and have fun.

• Genetically - No

In life - Yes. They are family, adoption is family, regardless of genes you are family, that's what adoption means. Family in all cases, not just by name

• I don't care, and it is legal.

I saw a documentary about it called "Step Kids" and posted a question about it myself some time ago.

• They didn't ask to be put into those circumstances. So who are we to judge that they aren't supposed to be together. And I mean look at Angelina jolies kids. I think they all know they are not related. Family is just a social construct. They are not related so it's not a big deal.

• @debipie There are many circumstances where I would find this inappropriate. Like the one you described. I don't know if at a young age they realized or were told they were not blood relatives. I could understand their feelings for each other if they found out any time before they were seriously thinking about relationships and the opposite gender. Even unrelated young kids of the opposite gender somewhat treat each other like siblings.

• You cut me deep Kain, you cut me real deep... :(

• No because she is not his blood sister

• Sure it's okay, just be prepared for a lot of awkward stares once you explain how you met.

• well they are part of the same family so yes it would be wrong

• nah, I don't care they're not blood related so if they have kids it won't be a still born are anything.

• I don't care and it's none of my business.