Why does men have to bend down on one knee when proposing?

I'm orginally from togo but living the Uk for a couple of years now and that's one tradition I picked up and I'm just wondering, where it comes from

it was supposed to say 'do' not 'does'
And why is the husband supposed to carry his wife across the threshold of their home?

And I have no idea why this got moved to sexuality

Most Helpful Guy

• just googled it

The custom of proposing on one knee hearkens back to the days of knighthood and chivalry when it was customary for a knight to dip his knee in a show of servitude to his mistress and his master. The knight would kneel before before a tournament and wait for "his" lady to toss him her ribbon or colors, as an indication of her favor.

What Girls Said 3

• It is a gesture of humility that shows the man knows that he is asking the woman for the biggest, most important thing she could possibly give him (herself). It shows that he does not just expect it from her.

• i wondered that too and never understood it, it would make me uncomfortable and overpowering which I don't like. I prefer face to face or both of us sitting at a dinner table or something creative.

• it's from the days of past when with knights in shining armor

What Guys Said 3

• "And I have no idea why this got moved to sexuality"

Because apparently this question makes London Princess horny.

• It symbolizes and reminds him of the lifetime of begging and apologizing he is voluntarily entering.

• because you're proposing to be her bitch for the rest of your life