Do you believe that marriage is still a viable choice, given the shift towards singleness these days?

say watya gotta say below...

Most Helpful Girl

• marriage is always a choice, even these days.. I still believe in marriage and I know I will find that person that believes in it too

What Girls Said 5

• That depends on what you mean by marriage.

I think marriage, in the legal sense, is an incredibly viable choice! But the reasons have certainly changed a lot throughout the years. I think in the recent years, the shift of "popular marriage" has been towards settling down with someone (not wanting to be lonely). A couple years back, it was because all the celebrities were doing it (yeah... I curiously assume that was the time when people began questioning the integrity of such an institution). Before that, one of the predominant reasons was immigration. Even earlier, perhaps the reasons were more religious and love based.

I think marriage will always be something that people keep in mind and consider when they're in a meaningful relationship with someone. I mean, why else would California (I'm a proud San Francisco girl) have fought so dearly for the right to same sex marriage? As an institution, marriage is definitely still an end to all ends for a lot of people. Granted, there are people who would prefer personal union rather than civil and religious, but I wouldn't say they're the majority.

Maybe the question should be whether marriages last nowadays, rather than if they would still be chosen.

• What ya said, Alice, is in the context of the question I was askin....

• Ha. Sorry, I'm rather long winded.

In short, my answer was yes. As such, I think that marriage is still a viable choice.

• Thats not long winded at all... I'm a wannabe freelance writer, so I know a good line wen I see one... notice I don't ever judge an answer to any of my questions or comments- unless they are totally asinine... and I'm glad ya think that way

• when I was young I wanted to get married

after I was in an abusive relationship with a guy in the past, I tended to fear guys in general. I tend to not like being close and it's ok that I have guy friends but I'm not ok with anyone trying to hit on me or ask me out or do anything more than that.

i have a fear of that

but marriage, I do want so I feel that it just depends on the person. as long as their values are similar, it theoretically should work out.

• ok south, I'm not going to pretend marriage is always great. sometimes it's excruciating. =] but when my single friend tells me how the jerk she planned to marry was a complete scam and to watch for her on utube, I feel pretty blessed to wake up to the same man I fell in love with at 18. if you really mean to stay together forever, you wade thru the hard times and revel in the good ones.

• if it's right for you.

• Of course it is. Just depends what you want out of your life and if you want to get married or not. Personally, I want that fairytale wedding and a happy ending-lol probably doesn't exist but a girl can wish lol.

What Guys Said 3

• My parents were married 60 years. Most of us are still giving it a try. It's harder today with both people usually having to work, which brings so much stress especially with the current economy.

But we all need someone and most of us aren't that close with our famlies, so marriage seems the best option still.

• aaawww good question. I have a GREAT recommendation for you. Buy the book "Marriage...And How To Avoid It"...because I am having the same questions, I'm only 24 now but I'm still interested in what my future should involve. I didn't agree with everything in the book (mostly involving kids without marriage) but a lot of it had some interesting questions we should ask ourselves...please go get it, it's definately a good book because it goes against the grains of normal society.

• It's just the change in our society that's been going on since the early 70s with the rise of Feminism, and a host of laws supporting divorce... Ima look that up too... I, have been wantin to marry for at least 6-7 yrs... just haven't found da rite lady yet

• It's still a viable choice but maybe they need to change the ceremony/vows. Technically, the vows, before God, say you stay together no matter what (not counting the really insane stuff). But, very few people even come close to having the integrity/authenticity to be what you say you will be.

They should change it to: "I promise, as long as my feelings are supported, he/she does/says everything I want he/she to do, when I want he/she to do it; and, oh, he/she better be making some serious coin (or I'll be bangin someone who does); sex/romance?, forget it about it, unless I get/hear what I want; my friends/pets/addictions/better looking suitor can come first in all decisions; porn/sex toys/other partners are fine; and if I happen to get physical, become verbally/emotionally abusive or want to move out of state for awhile, that's cool. I DO."

And, oh yeah, we split the assetts down the middle after the breakup because there is no right/wrong and nobody is at fault.