Would You Feel Obligated To Say Yes If A Guy Proposed To You In Public?

Like if you were proposed to in a crowd of people but you're not sure you're ready to say yes. Would you feel obligated?

• Yes.
  • No.
  • Probably.
  • Doubtfully.

Most Helpful Girl

• I always cringe inside when I see on-screen proposals, like at a game or on a TV show.

I know I would feel I had to say yes, just to spare my partner public embarrassment. I would definitely feel pressured with this kind of proposal, and I think some people so it so they have a better idea of the answer (I know some people would call it a pulic declaration of love but..)

If they were proposing, they would be someone I cared about, and I wouldn't want them to be hurt in such a public way. However, I would definitely talk to them about it and say I wasn't ready for marriage. A marriage, to me, is something intimate and I feel the beginning of this should be intimate and personal.

What Guys Said 3

• And that's why I wouldn't propose in public :)

• I'd never propose in public ever

• i think its about time girls start proposing. Its going to happen

• some do, actually. The only problem is when they do it hurts the man's ego, because he thinks he's the one who should have proposed so if a girl decides to do it she has to plan it out carefully.

• -Generally speaking, settling down is much easier to do for girls than it is for guys. Girls need the certainty that he is willing to spend the rest of his ilfe with her, and if she proposes there isn't that much certainty. Even when the guy is not ready, he can say yes because he's afraid that she'll get hurt, thinks he's a chauvenist who only sees it as the man's role, that she will leave him for not being ready and so on.

When the guy does the proposoal, she has much more certainty.

part 2/2

• I completely disagree on this one, for two reasons :

-Marriage is 99% about the bride. Guys are extremely lucky if they have a say in the wedding planning that is not table placement for guests, the menu and the music. The bride gets pretty much all the attention, apart from during the speach. The proposal is the only thing left for the guys, why take that away from them?

What Girls Said 17

• No, I'd feel mean getting his hopes up. But I'd at least try to say no gently, like "I'm not ready right now."

• I would say no if I realllly meant no. I might say yes and tell them I want a very long engagement. I feel like that's an acceptable answer, if I know I want to marry a guy but wasn't ready at the moment. But if I know my answer is "no way in hell", I'd say no in public. Without a doubt.

• umm..i will try not to embarrass him...

so I will say yes... and smile... and then when we are alone I will tell him why I did that...and how I am not ready.

but seriously why propose in pubic.. that's not fair on the girl..its too much pressure to act and speak in a certain way and to pretend to be super happy even if you are not

• No, I'd only say yes if I knew I wanted to marry him. It's bad enough to tell him no, it's even worse to give him a false yes then crush him later when you tell him you actually don't want to marry him.

• If I'm not fully ready to be married then I will say no.

• say yes to save him embarrassment then tell him the truth later when we are toghther and express that he shouldn't have done that

• no, because that would be giving the guy false hope, which I think its worse.

• Marriage is a very serious ordeal. If I didn't feel it was right I would not say yes under any circumstances.

• No, I wouldn't feel obligated.. this is marriage we're talking here.. I wouldn't say yes because I felt like I had to.. and I hope no one else would either lol

• He sure as hell better not propose to me in public. He better take me to a jewelry store and propose to me right there in the middle of it.

Like Melanie's boyfriend did on Sweet Home Alabama lol

• I might and then later talk to him about how I am not ready or something. Don't propose in public if you're not sure what she will say

• I would feel awful, but if I didn't intend on doing it I wouldn't say yes.

• i would definitely feel pressured, but I would never marry someone for that reason.

• I wouldn't want to humiliate him, so I'd say yes. Then I'll explain everything to him.

• I won't say no but I won't say yes either so I guess its D.

• Not really, if I say yes I need to be completely sure, and if I'm not sure I will tell him I'll think about it doesn't matter if it's in public or in private

• No, I'm going to be honest because that's the right thing to do.